Protien shake effects?

Options
nat102
nat102 Posts: 118 Member
For about 5 days I've been eating the same (maybe a little less) and drinking protien shakes.. And I haven't felt heavier or been this heavy in a while. I'm up 7 pounds just in the past couple days. Has this happened to you guys? Should I keep up w my shake?

Replies

• rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    What are you adding to your shakes? If you are gaining weight, it's probably because you're eating too much. A protein can help bump up your count for the day, but you still need to watch your overall calorie intake. If I don't want too many extra calories, I drink mine with water. If I have calories spare, I'll add fruit and milk.
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I use the special K shakes for protein and fiber.
    I haven't found any weight gain. Though I normally use one in place of a meal not in addition to one.
  • nat102
    Options
    It's a great shake nutritionally. 160 cals 30g protein 5g carbs 1g sugar. And I'm eating the same
  • nat102
    Options
    I haven't found any weight gain. Though I normally use one in place of a meal not in addition to one.

Maybe I'll meal replace. I've been using it as a snack after workout.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    For about 5 days I've been eating the same (maybe a little less) and drinking protien shakes.. And I haven't felt heavier or been this heavy in a while. I'm up 7 pounds just in the past couple days. Has this happened to you guys? Should I keep up w my shake?

Is it that time off the month?? I'm no expert but, I know you can retain water weight and get bloated.
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options

Also, I felt like I should add. The protein in the shake is going to help muscles form if you are using them directly after workouts. You might want to take your measurements. The weight you are gaining might be muscle weight instead of fat. If that is the case you will want to keep your normal routine.
  • nat102
    Options
    Hmm it could be TOM.. But you're right. Maybe my muscles are swollen. Im gonna keep drinking them and meal replace tmw :) well see how it goes haha thanks guys!!!
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options

Also, I felt like I should add. The protein in the shake is going to help muscles form if you are using them directly after workouts. You might want to take your measurements. The weight you are gaining might be muscle weight instead of fat. If that is the case you will want to keep your normal routine.

Sorry but, 7 lbs of muscle in one week is BS. I say more than likely it's fluid retention. The only way you'll gain 7lbs of muscle in a week is by taking massive amounts of steroids!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    how many additional shakes? I would say 99% chance it is water weight (for whatever reason?) if you are eating the same and just added one protein shake a day.

Think about it, 2 add 7 lbs of fat that would be going over your maintenance cals by 24500cals in a few days. I'm pretty sure you didn't do that from a few protein shakes :smile: