I like the hours! :laugh:

Replies

• Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Any body belong? Good club or no??

• crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    i don't belong, but if it works for you and you'll be motivated to go, why not? :smile:
  • Shannon023
    i don't belong, but if it works for you and you'll be motivated to go, why not? :smile:

Cuz I want someone to talk me out of it! :laugh:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    hours wonderful you wont be so gung ho when they show you that price my friend was gonna join and he said that it was 175 dollar intiiation/entry fee and 64 a month. thats here in pittsburgh maybe its universally that high?
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    In college I used to belong to 24 hours and was a member for 2 - 3 years. From my experience:

Pros:
    -Hours (obviously)
    -Usually a lot of weight equipment
    -Can sign up for personal trainer sessions (a friend did this, got good results)
    -Shower/locker room was clean
    -Childcare available at reasonable cost

Cons:
    -Not enough cardio equipment (esp during peak hours - had to sign wait list for treadmill and elipitical)
    -Usually crowded (not good when you are less than graceful, red-faced and panting while exercising :laugh: )
    -Pool (if they have one) is usually small (3-5 lanes and indoors)
    -Not a lot of classes (yoga, etc.)
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member

I used to be a member, but there is an LA Fitness that is closer to my home and work, so I changed.

The clubs here are very nice. They are big and have a ton of classes. They tend to be very popular, so although they are almost always open it can be very hard to get in at a popular time like 6 in the evening.

Go take the tour and even though they'll tell you that the special of the decade expires at 6 tonight make them give you a 1 week pass and try it out. Go at different times and take a few classes.

You know this is such a personal decision, you have to take it for a test drive.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    I just joined - it is expensive -but check with your health insurance Vista covers 100%

Word of advice - wait and keep checking their website - one of my friends paid 44.99 a month plus 50 initiation and first and last

my other friend paid 34.99 plus 50.00 initiation and first and last

I kept checking we paid 29.99 - a month - no initiion fee just first and last

I love the club - ours is a supersport - tons of machines - nice sauna steam room love it

Good Luck
  • Shannon023
    Thanks for the advice everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Also, if you've ever been a member of that or any club they've merged with, have them check to see if you are in their database. They keep amazing records. I have a friend that just joined and they found her in their system and let her renew a membership she had 20 years ago at Family Fitness Center. She pays $60 a year.
  • try looking on craigslist for people trying to get out of their contracts. i sold my gym memebership on there. when i sold mine the fees had gone up quite a bit so the person that took over my contract got a killer deal and she didnt have to pay any up front fees!!!
  • Elita
    Elita Posts: 92 Member
    Hello, I belong to a 24 hour in Denver. its too small and there is always a line for the treadmill and epileptical. i pay 28.99 month no initiation fee and the first and last month were do the day i joined. I like it because of the hours, its close to my house and they have a lot of cool clases.
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member

I go to good life and that's 24hrs. I like it cuz there are no excuses.

DO IT!!! :angry:
  • The clubs in my area are fairly decent. Try to find one with a pool, and plenty of aerobics machines.
    Do keep in mind that you can negotiate both the initiation and monthly rate, as you've observed there is no universal cost from this thread.

Enjoy!
  • Shannon023

I go to good life and that's 24hrs. I like it cuz there are no excuses.

DO IT!!! :angry:

I love it when you're forceful with me. :blushing:
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Definately look it up on the web. I live in the middle of three of them and they all offer different things, classes, prices, hours, pools, ect. Some have deals, some do not. Some offer $29.99 and a friend for $5.00 a month. Last year they had a Biggest Loser promotion and it was $99.00 for three months and you also go a few sessions with a personal trainer.