Depression Meds and Weight loss

Options
I've been dieting and exercising for 9 weeks now, and have lost only 5 lbs. I am also on Effexor XR 150 mg for depression/anxiety. I was told by my doctor that that can make weight loss a bit difficult.

I stay within the 1510 calories MFP says I should eat along with exercising 60 minutes most days. Those 60 minutes are intense cardio, where my heart rate is between 135-170 and I'm pouring sweat. I change up machines every few days depending on my mood as well as to prevent my muscles from getting used to it. I haven't had a soda, diet or regular, in 9 weeks. I've added fruits and veggies to my diet, and I get the 60-80g of protein a day my doctor recommended.

I'm at my breaking/quitting point. I'm so frustrated! Anyone else trying to lose weight while on depression meds? Any advice? I would greatly appreciate it!

Replies

• Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Sorry I'm not on the meds, so I can't advise that way, but I wanted to encourage you not to give up!!! The exercise is so great for your depression as well and as you lose you may be able to decrease/stop taking (of course under your doctor's supervision) so for goodness sake KEEP GOING!!!! Sometimes people's bodies just need time to change. I'll bet if you took measurements you've lost inches which is just as important as losing pounds!!!! Really, over .5 per week is really good!!!! Don't let this get you down... you're doing GREAT! Focus on taking each day and making it the best day you can, not the scale!
  • jhamlin6668
    jhamlin6668 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I"m on about 8 meds for depression/bi-polar disorder. Yes, it has made it difficult. Initially when I started taking them I packed on 65 lbs in about 4 months. it has taken me about 2 months to lose 18 lbs. I'm sorry you are having a hard time. Actually, I think it is a miracle that we are not putting on weight. I'm not a doctor, but I believe we both have a hard go. From your pic it looks like you don't have a lot of weight to lose (I'm morbidly obese), so maybe that is why it is even harder.

Friend me. I'd be happy to support you in your weight loss quest. Keep up the good work. The exercise is supposed to help with depression, so you are doing all the right things. Be proud. I'm proud of you!!! Julie
  • kdfletch71
    Options
    Don't give up! I'm on Zoloft & I have lost 18.5 pounds in the last 6 weeks. You can do it! Keep up the exercise. My goal is 1200 calories a day but with exercise I'm usually below that by 100 cals or so. I am not starving & I save enough calories to have a Skinny Cow treat many evenings. The first 2 weeks I did Slimfast & followed it strictly & lost 9 pounds. Since then I joined myfitnesspal.com & have lost another 9.5 over the past 4 weeks. So.... don't give up - You can do it!!
  • Nuclear_Synthesis
    Options
    I'm in the same boat hun. I have to be so strict now, because if i slip one day it all goes back on, and im losing so much slower than i was before i went on my meds. Its just a case of persevering. Its harder, but when you get there you'll feel such a larger sense of achievement
  • brbjmb
    brbjmb Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    aubreyjordan-
    There are so many factors to take into consideration. I am on the same med (225mg) plus Wellbuterin (100mg 2x/day). I don't necessarily think that it is holding me back. But my philosophy is that "we are making positive changes" and that is really what matters, not the number on the scale. The wt loss will come. You may be building muscle mass, which weighs more than fat in a more compact form - that is why it is always recommended to also take your measurements.
    Hope this helps. Good luck and keep it up!!
  • sh3lby03
    sh3lby03 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I was on anxiety meds for a brief stent while going through a lot in my personal life and that is where I put on the 15 pounds I am trying to lose here. I kept working out, even while on my med, I didn't really lose but it stopped me from gaining more and then once I got into a routine I found that exercise was able to substitute my med(def consult with your doc). It lowered my anxiety tremendously, so even if you aren't seeing the loss, keep at it!! If nothing else it will keep you from gaining, and its just good for your overall physical and mental health:)
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    is it possible for you to walk outside at all, being out in the open air and brisk walking has helped me a lot with depression
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Peoples bodies react differently to meds, but I have seen massive weight gains on anti-depressants, and a person very close to me is going through the same troubles of working their butt off to lose weight and not seeing comprable results. Best guess is that it's the anti-depressants. Maybe you could switch medications? Or, maybe it's time to start reducing your dosage?
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I gained over 3 stone on Effexor so I feel your pain! No matter what I did I could not seem to lose weight :-( I switched to Effexor from Fluoxetine as my depression was getting too severe, but now I am back on Fluoxetine and I am finding things easier.

Have you tried or considered other meds?
  • Jess6385
    Jess6385 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I currently take meds that may cause weight gain - I spoke with my Dr about it and now I take one pill and day and half a pill the next. So I have decreased my dosage without shocking my body too much. Maybe ask you doctor if you could do the same?
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help! When I saw my doctor last, she did mention that the Effexor can make it a bit more difficult. I don't see her again for several more weeks. I know my measurements haven't changed much because all my clothes still fit the same - unable to keep jeans buttoned while sitting =/

I've done pretty well eating today and did squeeze in 30 minutes of elliptical between volunteering in Kindergarten and going to my night class.
  • hannahfayek
    Options
    I'm on medication for depression as well, I actually just had my dose doubled. My doctor put me on Fluoxetine (Prozac) because it's one of the few medications for depression that doesn't cause weight gain. In fact one of the side effects of it is anorexia (loss of appetite) I haven't had much trouble with it, but I've heard that other medications make it very hard to lose weight. You might ask your doctor if changing your medication is an option? It would have to be done gradually of course but might be worth a try.
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I wasn't on any drugs but a few years ago I was doing what it sounds like you are doing and I couldn't lose any weight for 3 months. I was doing hard cardio for an hour each day and nothing worked. I also was lifting weights every day as well. I hired a very experienced trainer and although she said it didn't make sense, she, along with cutting out carbs, did help me start losing weight.

1.) She had me stop doing so much cardio, and she made me lift weights but in a faster pace with only about 10 to 30 second breaks.

2.) She made me take a day or two off a week for rest.

3.) I cut out carbs. I went on the Blood Type Diet (for O) but basically that is similar to Paleo Diet or many low carb diets. It helped.

I saw a difference in one week. Some theories on what was going on was that I was working out so hard (and all of a sudden) that my body was completely stressed. I was exhausted each day, and I have since learned that it's not as effective as you'd think. "Work out smarter not harder". Also. . . . I never lose weight unless I cut out all bread, flour-based products, rice, potatoes, starches, etc.

Good Luck.

I took a personal trainer course
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I will look into Prozac a bit more and bring it up at my upcoming appointment. Thanks for that tid-bit!

I've also cut down on my carbs a lot. I'm more on a low-fat diet because I have trouble with my cholesterol. Thank you for your input!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm also on EffexorXR 150. For many many years now. Because I threw my head through a windshield *LOL* Bad idea.

Anyhow, here's the thing. The drug itself isn't going to cause or prevent weight loss. It will on the other hand increase appetite. But from what I understand the drug itself can't possibly be a cause or hinderance to weight as it's just a matter of caloric intake when it comes right down to it.

Can it make it harder? Harder to practice the control perhaps because of what it does to your appetite. I'm no expert, but that's how I choose to view it :)

Stay dedicated, stay the course, it will come off :) I lost over 45 lbs on Effexor before... and plan to do it again.
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    i am on anxiety meds and gained 25 to 30 when i started but the doc said once its been in my system it will stop being an issue. i dunno yet cause am just starting to try hard now lmao