help!

Options
I've been having leg problems as of late (knees and hips mostly), but I don't want to stop running because that'd botch my weight loss completely!

Is there any cardio I can do that has low impact on the lower body? Does that sound as ridiculous as I think it sounds?

I need to keep active! I planned to do an upper body strength training circuit today, but I'm not sure what I can do for cardio. Suggestions? Any would be greatly appreciated! x

Replies

• CindyWarner
    Options
    Swimming or aquafit. Very good for people with joint problems.
  • sarebak
    sarebak Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have knee problems too at times...I took a water aerobics class and it was great. It didn't bother my knees at all but it was still a good workout. Sometimes I end up riding a stationary bike instead of jogging if my knees are bothering me. Hope that helps. :)
  • astermarie
    astermarie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bicycling? Has some impact but less than running ...good luck!
  • nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    cross trainer and rowing - both use legs but dont really add impact like running does.
  • MTtobeHOT
    MTtobeHOT Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have very bad knees (need a replacement on the right one) (and I am also a lot older than you!!) but I successfully do jazzercise class 4-6 times a week (you can do max effort, or do low impact on any part of the routine and still burn a lot of calories, plus there is weight training, abs and leg work every class), and I have an elliptical machine that is very easy on the knees, but can burn some calories quickly too. Hope this helps. I am really careful with my knees due to multiple previous problems, and this is the best and healthiest I've felt in a long time. I'm addicted to jazzercise! You can google it and see if there is a studio near where you live.
    :flowerforyou:
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    you could try very brisk walking it is low impact. just make sure you keep one foot on the ground all the time and real brisk 5 to 5.5 mile an hour
  • dianediaz
    dianediaz Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Elliptical machines also offer a good workout, especially if you can use the one that also has the bars for your arms to go back and forth. Then you get a really good overall workout. And it's no impact as far as any pounding on your hips or knees. I use the elliptical whenever my legs need a break from running. Be sure to vary the incline and the speed and you'll still be able to keep up your cardio fitness.

Also, for hip and knee problems from running, I suggest lots of gentle stretching. Sometimes leg problems from running are a result of lack of stretching. For example, your knee can hurt due to illiotibial band issues, which can be helped by stretching the IT band. The pain can then also refer up to the hip. I'm not sure if that is what is causing your leg pains, but it's a thought.

Hope this helps!
    Di
  • lframent
    lframent Posts: 33
    Options
    I have very bad knees (need a replacement on the right one) (and I am also a lot older than you!!) but I successfully do jazzercise class 4-6 times a week (you can do max effort, or do low impact on any part of the routine and still burn a lot of calories, plus there is weight training, abs and leg work every class), and I have an elliptical machine that is very easy on the knees, but can burn some calories quickly too. Hope this helps. I am really careful with my knees due to multiple previous problems, and this is the best and healthiest I've felt in a long time. I'm addicted to jazzercise! You can google it and see if there is a studio near where you live.
    :flowerforyou:

I love Jazzercise! Unfortunately I don't have a membership and only occasionally go with my mum (10$ per class without membership). I also have an elliptical machine, so I guess I will be working out on that for a while!

Thanks! x
  • lframent
    lframent Posts: 33
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions! I would love to try a water aerobics or other type of water workout!

Hope all is well and wish you all luck in your journeys! Love and light, xo