A Question for the Trainers Out There

So I just but a Polar F6 and love it! Unfortunately, it gives me a heart rate target much less than where my heart rate actually stays.

I'm about 114, 27 years old, and I thought fairly fit. It told me between 143 I think and 160-something. While I was running, my average was 175, my highest 185.

There is one variable, however. I've been stressed with some major life changes going on. Even sitting still, I can tell my resting heart rate is higher than it should be.

So my question is this. Well, I guess I have 2.

1. Is it bad for my heart rate to be so high? I don't feel as though it's a problem. I mean, I wasn't totally out of breath. I was breathing slowly and evenly and felt great! Today was my best running day ever!

2. If it is bad, how do I train my heart? Do I have to keep it within the lower target and work my way up?

Okay, one more.

3. Is the stress what's causing my higher heart rate? If so, is it bad to push myself so much?

Thanks in advance for all your input! I tried to google this stuff but couldn't really find an answer. I thought I'd ask on here.

Replies

• 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    So I just but a Polar F6 and love it! Unfortunately, it gives me a heart rate target much less than where my heart rate actually stays.

I'm about 114, 27 years old, and I thought fairly fit. It told me between 143 I think and 160-something. While I was running, my average was 175, my highest 185.

There is one variable, however. I've been stressed with some major life changes going on. Even sitting still, I can tell my resting heart rate is higher than it should be.

So my question is this. Well, I guess I have 2.

1. Is it bad for my heart rate to be so high? I don't feel as though it's a problem. I mean, I wasn't totally out of breath. I was breathing slowly and evenly and felt great! Today was my best running day ever!

2. If it is bad, how do I train my heart? Do I have to keep it within the lower target and work my way up?

Okay, one more.

3. Is the stress what's causing my higher heart rate? If so, is it bad to push myself so much?

Thanks in advance for all your input! I tried to google this stuff but couldn't really find an answer. I thought I'd ask on here.
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    first i am not a trainer. as long as you are under your high target rate you will be fine. you can see the shape of your heart, by how fast it comes down. if you are at a high rate and slow down it should take less than a minute for it to come down. example mine at a run is 150 (i weigh 210 and am 49 yr) and it takes less than a minute to come down into the 120's when i start walking. use to take up to 5 minutes, but i smoked then also.
    you will love having your HRM. i feel lost when i don't use mine for some reason or another. i use mine mainly for the cals burned.
    have fun, and keep up the exercise.
  • 1Corinthians13
    Thanks, that does help. I'll have to pay attention to how fast my heart rate comes down during my cool down tomorrow.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    A high resting heart rate isn't always indicative of a health problem. There is no 'normal' for the human body--just average for most people, and what's usually the case for you.
    Being able to maintain a high heart rate during exercise is indicative of good health--your heart fills efficiently and your blood transports the oxygen more efficiently even at a higher heart rate, so you can work longer than someone who might have reached the anaerobic threshold at that point. It's not uncommon to approach your Max HR, which is about 193 +-7, while running. Look at Olympic marathoners--they have to run 26.2 consecutive ~6 minute miles. That's a full out run/sprint for a couple hours. Their HR's will still be high.

In order to increase your CV health, you should train between 65-80% of your MHR, or 125-154, or higher or lower considering that 193 is just an estimate. Training above 80% isn't dangerous. When you reach the anaerobic threshold and your muscles are no longer receiving enough oxygen, they'll fatigue and you'll slow down. You won't run yourself until you have no oxygen left at all, and you heart won't suddenly stop.

Stress can cause your HR to be higher, but exercise is a form of stress. Both mental stress and exercise stress cause the same changes in your body so you can perform at a higher capacity. But post-exercise a different section of the nervous systems takes over to help you relax.

That said, of course exercise has risks. Your risk for a heart attack is higher while you're running, but much lower in general than a person who doesn't run. By warming up and cooling down and checking with your doctor to make sure you don't have any heart defects, you're keeping yourself much safer as well.
  • 1Corinthians13
    Thank you. You definitely made me feel better. I kept thinking of all those stories...or were they myths?... of people just dying on the treadmill in the middle of their run.

And besides...I really felt great! At 6 miles, I started to cramp, so I did my cool down. But that is further than I EVER dreamed I'd be able to run!
  • mimielle
    mimielle Posts: 44 Member
    If you have the money and are curious, you could have a max VO2 test done where your run on a treadmill while breathing into a tube and increasing effort. They will determine what your maximum HR actually is and what the corresponding zones would be. It's about $150.

I had this done about two years ago and my max HR was 196. I'm 145 lbs and 30 years old. When I'm running outside my HR will be between 150 and 160 for an easy run whereas when I'm running a 10 km race it will probably start around 160 and be up to 180 - 185 for the last couple of kilometers. As songbyrd said as well, it's not uncommon for me to see 190 when doing speed work or at the end of a race. Usually it's not your heart that inhibits max effort but the fuel available in your body.
  • songbyrdsweet
    People have died running marathons. In fact, a couple famous young Olympians have. But they had heart defects, the most common being related to having an enlarged heart. That's why it's important to check with your doctor before you start a rigorous exercise program. They can listen to your heart to hear for strange noises the valves might be making and take a look if they see anything out of the ordinary. You have a much higher chance of dying in a car crash this year than dying from a heart attack while exercising.

Great job on the 6 miles! At that distance, make sure you're drinking something with electrolytes. Plain water won't help you much past 30 min. :flowerforyou:
  • 1Corinthians13
    Well, 6 miles isn't something I do every day! haha - this was the first time. But I've been gradually progressing. What kind of electro...i can't spell it....do you suggest?
  • songbyrdsweet
    Well, 6 miles isn't something I do every day! haha - this was the first time. But I've been gradually progressing. What kind of electro...i can't spell it....do you suggest?

Oh, plain old G2 for an hour's worth of running, and plain Gatorade for more than that. About 20 g of carbs per hour after that first hour will keep you going, so 1tbsp Gatorade. 1/2 bottle of G2 would be fine for a 45 minute run. Or Powerade Zero if you don't want any calories, although the carbohydrates become important to maintain exercise at a high intensity for longer than an hour. :smile:
  • 1Corinthians13

Oh, plain old G2 for an hour's worth of running, and plain Gatorade for more than that. About 20 g of carbs per hour after that first hour will keep you going, so 1tbsp Gatorade. 1/2 bottle of G2 would be fine for a 45 minute run. Or Powerade Zero if you don't want any calories, although the carbohydrates become important to maintain exercise at a high intensity for longer than an hour. :smile:

Thanks! I do eat a protein bar about an hour before I run - about 10 g of carbs and 8 of protein I think. I'll have to invest in one of those. Oh, I'm excited! I hope it helps me run 6 miles on a more regular basis! It's funny...I almost didn't go to the gym today. I almost went home and crashed. I was tired. But when I was running...I wanted to keep going! If it weren't for the cramp...
  • songbyrdsweet

Thanks! I do eat a protein bar about an hour before I run - about 10 g of carbs and 8 of protein I think. I'll have to invest in one of those. Oh, I'm excited! I hope it helps me run 6 miles on a more regular basis! It's funny...I almost didn't go to the gym today. I almost went home and crashed. I was tired. But when I was running...I wanted to keep going! If it weren't for the cramp...

Yea, proper hydration and electrolyte levels will help w/ the cramping. The Gatorade in the powder form is pretty cheap for the # of servings. But anything calorie-free is a little more pricey.
  • 1Corinthians13

Yea, proper hydration and electrolyte levels will help w/ the cramping. The Gatorade in the powder form is pretty cheap for the # of servings. But anything calorie-free is a little more pricey.

Don't you hate that! It's so unfair!
  • 1Corinthians13
    How soon before my run should I start drinking this stuff? Or just during my run? Before, during, and after? huh, huh, huh??? lol :laugh:
  • songbyrdsweet
    How soon before my run should I start drinking this stuff? Or just during my run? Before, during, and after? huh, huh, huh??? lol :laugh:

Oh, during and after. I like to do 1/2 bottle of G2 mixed w/ water for runs at 45-60 min, and a Tbsp of regular for runs at 90 min. I'll drink another tbsp after my run as well.
  • 1Corinthians13

Oh, during and after. I like to do 1/2 bottle of G2 mixed w/ water for runs at 45-60 min, and a Tbsp of regular for runs at 90 min. I'll drink another tbsp after my run as well.

I WILL get to 90 minutes one day!!! Thanks!!!
  • songbyrdsweet

I WILL get to 90 minutes one day!!! Thanks!!!

I am certain you will! You're welcome! :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    But they had heart defects, the most common being related to having an enlarged heart. That's why it's important to check with your doctor before you start a rigorous exercise program.

aww, my favorite songbird already sounds like a doctor!! I am so proud of you!

And great advice. I am not a runner, but always have HR questions!!

:smooched: