get your omega-3s

Options
jb_2011
jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
I'm reading a new cookbook that I got from the library - "The Healthy Kitchen" by Andrew Weil, M.D. and Rosey Daley. There are some great looking recipes, from soups to salads, entrees and desserts. I read something last night that Andy wrote about omega-3s, thought you all should read this, too. Here you go:

" Most Americans are deficient in omega-3s and as a result are more likely to develop cardiovascular disease, cancer, inflammatory disorders, and mental and emotional problems. Recent research suggests that supplementing the diet with omega-3 fatty acids not only can reduce these risks but can also help treat depression, bipolar disorder, autism, and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder."

On another page he says> "The main food source of these good fats is fish, especially fatty fish from cold waters: salmon, mackerel, herring, sardines, and (to a lesser extent) albacore tuna. Non-fish sources are few: walnuts, flax seeds, hemp seeds, and the oils extracted from them. There are smaller amounts in soybeans and sea vegetables (such as nori and arame). A new source is fortified eggs produced by chickens fed dietary supplements rich in omega-3s."

PS Keep seeds, nuts and nut oils in the fridge. They turn rancid quickly.

Replies

• Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have heard that flax seeds have the best ratio for a good omega 3 and omega 6 balance
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I have heard that flax seeds have the best ratio for a good omega 3 and omega 6 balance

This may be true, but you can't eat them whole. Our bodies can't break down a whole flax seed. It's kind of like corn. You can tell the day after when you've had corn if you know what I mean... :-) Ground flax seed is best.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Plant sources of omega fats are not as easily absorbed by the body as those from fish though, so if plants are your only sources you will need to eat more. Also, if you eat flax seeds whole almost none of it is absorbed as it will pass through your system undigested. Ground flax seed or flax seed oil is much better.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Teddie's natural peanut butter with flaxseed oil and fish are key for my diet!
  • Vegan_Chick
    Options

This may be true, but you can't eat them whole. Our bodies can't break down a whole flax seed. It's kind of like corn. You can tell the day after when you've had corn if you know what I mean... :-) Ground flax seed is best.

That is why I blend them in my Blendtech in a smoothie or I use hemp
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I add flax and chia seeds to my smoothies in the morning for Omega 3's.
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are even higher in Omega-3s than flaxseed. They also have no taste, which is a plus if you don't like the taste of ground flaxseed. Also, you can get a vegan omega3 supplement made from algea, which is super nice. And, I like Once Again Nut Butter's omega-3 peanut and almond butters.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Options
    Chia seeds are even higher in Omega-3s than flaxseed. They also have no taste, which is a plus if you don't like the taste of ground flaxseed. Also, you can get a vegan omega3 supplement made from algea, which is super nice. And, I like Once Again Nut Butter's omega-3 peanut and almond butters.

Chia seeds rock, even though they are expensive, plus they make my smoothies thick and creamy