Runners: Asics, Saucony or Mizuno?

Options
2»

Replies

• SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I will just say with this that it's really pretty rude and tacky to use the services of a local running store and then go buy the shoes online. If you're going to use their services, do the right thing and buy at least the first pair from them.
    I think it is rude and tacky to attack someone without asking if *they* did that. Because I DID buy my first pair from them in order to support the local business. Since then, I have been buying online. I edited my comment because not everyone can afford to buy from a local running store, when online prices are 20% or more cheaper.
  • JCubbins
    JCubbins Posts: 92
    Options
    ASICS ASICS ASICS!!! :bigsmile:
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    brooks
  • Sisneros3
    Sisneros3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been running for about 2 years. The best shoes I have found for the mileage you are running are the Mizuno Enigma! LOVE them!!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    **EDIT - You don't necessarily have to buy from said specialty store - I get mine online for a fraction of that price, and make SURE that you have a return policy that allows you to run in them outdoors at least a few times first!

I will just say with this that it's really pretty rude and tacky to use the services of a local running store and then go buy the shoes online. If you're going to use their services, do the right thing and buy at least the first pair from them. If everyone went in for "fitting services" but never bought the shoes, the local running store is going to quickly disappear as it won't be economically feasible. (Unless they start charging for the analysis - which I could see making some sense..."The fee for the fitting service is x. With purchase of shoes, the fee is waived." Might not keep them in business, but would at least keep people doing the right thing.)

why? Most of the running stores offer it as a paid service, not for free, so i wouldnt feel bad if you can get the shoes cheaper elsewhere. not all of us have money to throw away.
  • TexasGirl92
    TexasGirl92 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I say take the advise of those that suggested getting fitted at a running store. A friend and I went a few weeks back and what worked for me and what worked for her were completely different. I ended up with Mizunos, she ended up with Nikes. What works for one person may not work for others. My sister also wears Mizunos but hers are a different model than what I have. May cost a bit more but for me it's been an investment I have not regretted.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    My sister also wears Mizunos but hers are a different model than what I have. May cost a bit more but for me it's been an investment I have not regretted.

What model of Mizunos do you wear?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    No one can answer this question for you. I have run in all 3 before. And still currently have 2 of the 3 brands you named. What could be a great shoe for one person, could be total junk for another.
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love my Saucony's. And I am a new runner, they are super comfortable and give me great support.
  • tigeratty
    tigeratty Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with getting fitted.

I have a wide foot and somwhat narrow heel and I've been wearing Sauconys for going on 20 yrs.

I also wear the retro Saucony Jazz as my knock around sneakers. They come in many colors. And they have a little platform that make you a bit taller.

Saucony makes many varietys to cover all issues.

I'd point out that if you weigh over 130 be sure you are getting enouh cusioning. Many running shoes are made for women < 130. Heavier runners (and I am one) have different needs. Same for heavier male runners.

Shari
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I will just say with this that it's really pretty rude and tacky to use the services of a local running store and then go buy the shoes online. If you're going to use their services, do the right thing and buy at least the first pair from them.
    I think it is rude and tacky to attack someone without asking if *they* did that. Because I DID buy my first pair from them in order to support the local business. Since then, I have been buying online. I edited my comment because not everyone can afford to buy from a local running store, when online prices are 20% or more cheaper.

I didn't bother to ask because you didn't (and still in your OP) don't make it sound at all like you bought from the store, just online. If people want to go the online route, runningwarehouse does offer their own analysis where you send them various things. That way you can do the whole thing online.

If you can fine them online for less, more power to you. Mine are around $100 wherever I look.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    **EDIT - You don't necessarily have to buy from said specialty store - I get mine online for a fraction of that price, and make SURE that you have a return policy that allows you to run in them outdoors at least a few times first!

I will just say with this that it's really pretty rude and tacky to use the services of a local running store and then go buy the shoes online. If you're going to use their services, do the right thing and buy at least the first pair from them. If everyone went in for "fitting services" but never bought the shoes, the local running store is going to quickly disappear as it won't be economically feasible. (Unless they start charging for the analysis - which I could see making some sense..."The fee for the fitting service is x. With purchase of shoes, the fee is waived." Might not keep them in business, but would at least keep people doing the right thing.)

why? Most of the running stores offer it as a paid service, not for free, so i wouldnt feel bad if you can get the shoes cheaper elsewhere. not all of us have money to throw away.

I'm in NYC where pretty much everything costs money, and none of the local running stores charge for the fitting service. It's part of their service, so I do the honorable thing and get my shoes there. ESPECIALLY from the one where they did more than put me on a treadmill. Never heard of a legit local running store charging for the service.

edit: Also regarding your "throw away money" statement...I don't have money to "throw away", but I also don't have money to spend on doctors and physical therapists because I went the cheap route either.
  • TexasGirl92
    TexasGirl92 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    What model of Mizunos do you wear?

I have the Mizuno Women's Wave Inspire 7 I really like them. I highly recommend the fitting. My friend and I both were having the similar shin pain but when they filmed us she only needed mild correction, while I need moderate correction. The store we found had a great return policy so we felt we had options if we got home and they didn't feel right. We paid about $10 more at the store vs online but the place we went didn't charge for the fitting and we each tried on 3 or 4 pairs of shoes. So I felt it was worth the bit extra cost for the service we got.
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Mizuno Wave Creation. Check out their website -- they have the most in depth shoe fitting questionnaire. The ones they suggested for me are perfect. Purchased them a week before my marathon and ran it with no problems - no blisters - and even was able to ditch the inserts I used to wear in my Sauconys and Asics.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I like Saucony. I use the Guide 3 on my shorter runs, and was using the Omni 9 on my long runs, but I've put a little over 400 miles on them so I've replaced them with...Nikes (Structure Triax 14). For shame I know. But they felt amazing when I tried them out in the store. I can't wait to run Marathon #2 in them!
  • Pavia410
    Pavia410 Posts: 12
    Options
    I love my Brooks running shoes.

But I went to Fleet Feet (a running specialty store) and got sized and fitted there. They are perfect.
  • trac3
    trac3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Enjoyed my Brooks for many years, but as my feet have changed the last two years, I'm preferring Asics. Definitely get in to a reputable place and have your running form checked/feet fitted properly ~ makes a huge difference!