need to vent!

Girlmom282109
Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
edited September 2022 in Chit-Chat
I know I should be greatful that I still have a job in these trying times but I guess we have been very spoiled at work. the first year I started there we had our christmas party at the hilton and got a free room night, free food free alcohol (that I didn't get I was pregnant) Cool and the Gang played for us. had a blast. The next year it was at the same place again all things free Howie Mandel was the act during dinner and the B52's were the band that played. plus we always had some kind of bonus between 150 and 250. last year we got 25 dollas per person to do put together our own christmas party per department. So, hubby and I got my department his and two other departments together and had it at one of tha halls in town. This year we get no bonus no christmas party no Merry Christmas from the CEO nothing. it's just a little disappointing. I guess I just have to be happy for what I have. They laid off my hubby told him that his position wasn't needed any longer but gave him 8 weeks severance plus he could claim unemployment. So we are actually getting more money then what we would have if he was still working plus he goes back to work on the 28th of this month.

Thanks for reading this if you made it all the way through. I just needed to write it out I guess to see that life isn't that bad after all. :flowerforyou: :drinker: :happy:

Replies

• Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    I know I should be greatful that I still have a job in these trying times but I guess we have been very spoiled at work. the first year I started there we had our christmas party at the hilton and got a free room night, free food free alcohol (that I didn't get I was pregnant) Cool and the Gang played for us. had a blast. The next year it was at the same place again all things free Howie Mandel was the act during dinner and the B52's were the band that played. plus we always had some kind of bonus between 150 and 250. last year we got 25 dollas per person to do put together our own christmas party per department. So, hubby and I got my department his and two other departments together and had it at one of tha halls in town. This year we get no bonus no christmas party no Merry Christmas from the CEO nothing. it's just a little disappointing. I guess I just have to be happy for what I have. They laid off my hubby told him that his position wasn't needed any longer but gave him 8 weeks severance plus he could claim unemployment. So we are actually getting more money then what we would have if he was still working plus he goes back to work on the 28th of this month.

Thanks for reading this if you made it all the way through. I just needed to write it out I guess to see that life isn't that bad after all. :flowerforyou: :drinker: :happy:
  • Samantha,
    I know how you feel. It is the same over here at the moment. I know I should be thankful that I still have a job, my boyfriend was lucky enough to change jobs into another department before everyone else in his department was made redundant. I dont expect a bonus from my company, even though we dont do THAT bad and we wont fire anybody, but I know that my boyfriend wont get a bonus at all and his was usually very high. It is quite depressing, especially with it happening now at christmas time.
    On tuesday 20 more people in my bf's bank were made redundant. How awful so close to Christmas.

I am just glad I still have my job and the mood in the office is not as bad as it would be if I worked anywhere else.

:ohwell:
  • It is so sad that so many people are losing their jobs, especially during the holidays. I've been told that because of my position where I work, that I'm safe from the possibility of being laid off. My company is doing fine, and hasn't laid anyone off (yet). But with the way the economy is, I can't help but wonder if my company will still be around until next Christmas. It is just a small, family owned business. My husband just found out that two guys that he works with have been laid off. We know that if his boss decides to lay anyone else off, that he is next. The scariest part of it all, is that if you lose your job, your chances of finding something else soon is very limited.

So, just like you, I am very thankful that we both still have our jobs. And all we can do is hope and pray that we can keep what we have and that the economy gets better soon.
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Heya Samantha, most places where I worked basically took ya by the short and curly's and said that if Gawd had wanted us to have a paid Holiday, then He wouldn't have invented accountants!
This discussion has been closed.