Hysterectomy recovery

Options
I know scary topic...

just wondering if anyone has any advice or suggestions in the healing process....it has been four months since my surgery and I still have a lot of pain and swelling at the end of the day....:sick:

Replies

• Angelamu77
    Options
    I had a hysteretomy June of 2008 and It was a SLOW go on the healing for me as well. I would ice a lot and just push to walk as much as I could standing up stright. What exactly is your issue? I would love to offer up what worked for me.
  • firegirley
    firegirley Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    After mine, I made an appt with a physical therapist. Because my job includes lifting (and LOTS of it) I was terrified of ripping my stitches, or tearing it open again, or just concerned about my abdominal muscles all together. (3 previous C sections too!)
    My PT did all sorts of exercises, and taught me ones I could do at my house as well. It helped me tremendously!!! I started 4 weeks post-op and started out extremely slow as to what I could do.
  • cvaneaton
    cvaneaton Posts: 154
    Options
    Thanks very much for sharing your experiences and for your support :smile:
  • SexyIsPainful
    SexyIsPainful Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy in June 09. My doctor did alot of extra pre-cautions that I am not sure whether it helped my healing process. However, I was made to wear a brace if you will, around my abdomen. He said to "hold" everything in and keep it from jiggling. I think it is that back brace thing you can get from walmart.
    He also would not allow me to workout for 6weeks. I could only walk and not at a fast pace. I walked almost immediately tho, everyday around the house. I did sneak on the treadmill a couple of times and I got in trouble(by the Dr) but oh well. In fact, they made me do walk while I was still in the hospital.
  • cvaneaton
    Options
    thanks! I will definitely have to check that out!
  • cvaneaton
    Options
    :smile:
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I am a "Hyster Sister" too. I am not sure what your physical level is- but I found it helped me alot to walk. Not miles- but just a nice walk. Also if you still hurt I found putting a heat pad on my belly helped me ALOT ! More than any pain medication.
    Good luck.
  • firegirley
    firegirley Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hyster-Sister...I love it!!! :laugh:
  • cvaneaton
    Options
    thanks! Walking is good and I use a hot water bottle sometimes :smile: How long before your tummy stopped swelling and you felt "normal?"
  • Teena15
    Teena15 Posts: 11
    Options
    It has been since March 2010 for me, my advice to you is go slow and don't be hard on yourself. I thought I was doing something wrong because it felft like I would never be myself again. However, it took a whole year for me to FINALLY feel good. lol

Add more time to your walks slowly and just keep moving. Listen to your body and you will be okay.
  • tammierich
    Options
    I had my abdominal hysterectomy at the end of April 2011, I think because of the pain I was in before and the length of time I struggled I am finding I am doing ok know but it has been slow going. I started out walking a lot more and found a heat pad works wonders.

Now I have stepped up my activity levels. I am finding that I am experience more discomfort as I am using my lower abdominal muscles. Everyone keeps telling me to take it easy and stop doing to much but I am desperate to lose the weight I have put on in the last 6 months.

Good luck and I hope things improve soon. Please feel free to add me.
  • cvaneaton
    Options
    Thanks for the valuable info. :) I too had an abdominal...all removed except left ovary...I guess I just have to be more patient and take it slow. :)

I am very lucky to have friends and support,.
  • daxxxx
    Options
    I had a TAH in April '10 and then another op in May to fix the damage the surgeon had done during op ( sliced my bladder ) so with no exercise n comfort eating I put on over 2 stone in weight since they diagnosed me ... probably more as fibroid I had was the size of a small rugby ball so gawd knows what it weighed !!

Started to exercise again in July n lost 7 lbs but I got a lot of pain ..probably scar tissue ..so had to stop :ohwell: doc has finally given me go ahead to start exercising again :happy: but how to shift this spare tyre that's settled around my middle :sad:

My scar was different too it runs from my belly button down and they re opened it for surgery this year again :cry: ..will I ever get my belly back to normal or will it always be a flabby mess ?

I'm not sure if the op affects the amount you can eat, I've been told your body stores fat n calories in a different way after meno. + hrt
    any advice or help would be great
    xx