Salad Dressing recommendation ?

AleenaZ
AleenaZ Posts: 117
Can you guys recommend me a good low-fat salad dressing that actually taste good ? I have tried light ranch and thousand island dressing and I don't like it at all ... Thanks guys !

Replies

• lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    I like a little EVOO and red wine vinegar or lemon or lime juice. It really enhancesthe flavors with out covering it up.
  • Balsamic Vinegrette, low calories Catalina, or Renee's light caesar....
  • minettc3
    minettc3 Posts: 13
    I use asda honey and mustard dressing in the Good for you range, its yummy.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Why not just go for good fat instead of low fat? A little extra virgin olive oil, balsamic, salt, pepper, garlic powder oregano.
  • hanaibo
    hanaibo Posts: 42
    Lately I have been using two different low to non-fat homemade dressings....they're "different", but are tasty to me
    1. Miso-ginger dressing
    1 tbsp miso paste
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 tsp grated ginger
    a little sugar or stevia to taste

2. Nutritional yeast cheeze sauce (great with chopped raw veggies, like carrots or celery)
    1 tbsp nutritional yeast
    1 tbsp unsweetened soymilk
    a little garlic powder
    a little spice of choice (I like to use curry or chili powder)
    This mixture tastes best after heating (something happens to the nutritional yeast, I guess)

3. Soy sauce and lemon juice!

Hope this helps!
  • hanaibo
    hanaibo Posts: 42
    Lately I have been using two different low to non-fat homemade dressings....they're "different", but are tasty to me
    1. Miso-ginger dressing
    1 tbsp miso paste
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 tsp grated ginger
    a little sugar or stevia to taste

2. Nutritional yeast cheeze sauce (great with chopped raw veggies, like carrots or celery)
    1 tbsp nutritional yeast
    1 tbsp unsweetened soymilk
    a little garlic powder
    a little spice of choice (I like to use curry or chili powder)
    This mixture tastes best after heating (something happens to the nutritional yeast, I guess)

3. Soy sauce and lemon juice!

Hope this helps!
  • ckenning
    ckenning Posts: 71
    Bolthouse Farms has some pretty good yogurt salad dressings. You can find them in the produce dept.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    If you want low fat - just use straight balsamic. It's really good with some red pepper flakes. Let the goodness of your veggies shine through!

If fat is not an object, add some good quality olive oil to your balsamic. (I think plain and not EVOO tastes way better and is less processed)
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    When I use salad dressing, I like olive oil and vinegar dressing. Lately I have been making salads with no dressing at all... just spinach, fruit, and some feta cheese. =)
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    I just started using Cape Cod dressings. They have excellent ingredients. Try their sweet and sour Poppyseed. A new favorite of mine.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Why not just go for good fat instead of low fat? A little extra virgin olive oil, balsamic, salt, pepper, garlic powder oregano.

AMEN! Thats exactly what i use! Low fat is no fun and it also digests quicker, which makes you eat more.
  • Shawn_Marie
    Shawn_Marie Posts: 307 Member
    I am hooked on Newmans Own Light Cranberry Walnut vinagertte
  • drohde12
    drohde12 Posts: 22
    Newman's Own Light Balsamic is so good! It has 45 cals per 2 Tbsp.
  • JMuzzy
    JMuzzy Posts: 63
    bolthouse farms light honey mustard is made with yogurt (sounds weird, but is delicious) and is only 45 cals/2 tbsp. its my favorite!
  • jmg0906
    jmg0906 Posts: 14
    Kens fat free french is really good.. I also love a good light balsamic vinegarette!
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    I make ranch dressing out of GREEK yogurt, 1% milk and the salad dressing mix packet. Tastes JUST AS GOOD as the real stuff, and the ENTIRE recipe is only 360 calories... One serving (2TBSP) is approximately 90 calories total. It would be even less if you used skim. You could save even MORE calories if you skipped the pre-mixed packet and made it using just the herbs. ONLY 25 CALORIES per 2 TBSP serving according to the recipe builder. ( I used the Chobani Plain nonfat greek Yogurt listing 8 oz. and 1% milk to build the recipe)

The same amount of Kraft is 160, Hidden Valley 140.

RECIPE:

8 oz. Greek yogurt no fat
    1/4 cup milk 1%
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/4 tsp dill
    1/4 tsp onion powder
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp parsley

It is a bit strong if you put much more of the spices in but you may want to put each spice in to taste, just make sure the ratio is correct. One part everything else to two parts parsley. You may not need to add all of the milk either, just use the milk to thin the dressing to your taste.

EDIT: I went in to the recipe builder and entered all the ingredients and if the database has the correct data for the yogurt, this is what it totaled ... AS listed it makes about 1.25 cups (20 Tablespoons) at 18 calories per 2 Tablespoon serving.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    I love Bolthouse and Newman's dressings... Did you know that you can buy Olive Garden's Italian dressing? If you like that one, it's only 80 calories and 8g fat per TWO Tbsp .
  • Amber393
    Amber393 Posts: 472 Member
    bump
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    I mix a packet of Hidden valley Buttermilk Ranch with greek yogurt and 1% buttermilk.

ranch-1.jpg
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Newman's Own Light Balsamic is so good! It has 45 cals per 2 Tbsp.

Yes to this one! It's one of my favorites. That and just plain olive oil and vinegar with a little sea salt.