PEOPLE SUCK. NEAR GOAL EXPERIENCES.

Options
2»

Replies

• shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. That was the hardest thing for me when I lost a bunch of weight a few years ago. I would go through my day to day life with hardly anyone speaking to me, let alone smile or wave (kind of like now). After I went from a size 20/22 to a size 6, everyone started smiling, waving, starting conversations, making offhand comments in the grocery store... It was completely infuriating at times especially when I knew it was the same person. It is not something I really look forward to experiencing again as I likely will. It is hard to see how shallow people are...
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    It's human nature. The majority of people favor thin people. Don't get me wrong, there are always exceptions, but it's just the norm. If you shun out the majority of people that think that way, you are going to have a lonely existence. It's just fact that thin/attractive people get the raises, get the promotions, get the friends, etc., etc. You want to label these people as superficial, but they're just being human. It's a natural response. Just some food for thought.
    I'd rather be "lonely" and stick to the exceptional people than be friends with a bunch of shallow people who won't care about me when I need their support more than ever.

This doesn't mean I can avoid everyone I'd like to avoid. You have to be able to get along with different kinds of people in order to function in this society. Like at work, for instance. But in my own personal life, I won't give my trust to someone just because they seem nice now. I take my time when it comes to building friendship and figuring out who's worth my trust.
  • jogdog
    jogdog Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    When I was fit like 7 years ago and then quickly put on weight in a year, my friends and people I went to school with were trying to ignore me and never asked me out anywhere!! It was like they were ashamed to be with a "fat" friend. It really hurt my feelings and I threw some of those people aside. Now that I'm losing weight and it's quite noticeable, all of a sudden those same people are coming out of no where saying we should hang out and they actually try to start conversations with me when I run into them at the store, gym, etc. I just say I'm too busy and already have plans with friends. I only have 1 friend that has really stuck by me the whole time and I appreciate her for it. She was even a good enough of a friend and honest enough to tell me that I should really start looking into getting healthier because she was concerned and has been supportive the whole way (she used to work at a gym and every now and then she would let me in for free). I still have a while to go until I reach my GW, but there's nothing like having real friends that stay by you.
  • cgsr
    cgsr Posts: 113
    Options
    You know, while people are morons, I just want to tell you congrats on your success! That attitude you have with them is warranted, and I bet its an awesome feeling to now be able to treat them as they treated you (although that probably isn't the best thing to do! :-) Keep up the goo work, and again, congrats!
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    They may have been physically healthy, but they were not healthy socially. At least you can be BOTH and that's something to be proud of! :) ((((hugs))))

ETA: When I see someone that appears to just be starting out in their fitness journey, I think to myself "good for them!" Maybe it'd make their day if I shared that thought with them.
  • Bluejay789
    Bluejay789 Posts: 176
    Options
    Congratulations on your success what a huge accomplishment on your weight loss and your new physical abilities in running and biking.

Superficial people....... if they did not have time for your last year with your extra weight, then why would they have time for you and really care about you as a person when you are thin?

I have friends in all shapes and sizes, I judge people based on their hearts and how they live their lives. Not their looks, what they wear, what they do, or how much money they have.

I know it is frustrating and hurtful to be experiencing this, but forgive them as they do not even realize what they have done to you.

My husband is the same way as he loves me not matter what my size. That's how your friends should be.

Let it go, they were not worth your time last year, they are not worth it now.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on your weight loss. That's always great news! I understand where you are coming from. When I moved to my new place, the landlord saw me at my heaviest (210 lbs) and now that I am 155, and because I was bed ridden from a back injury (he lives above me and knows whether I go out or not), he probably thinks I am on drugs or something, lol.

Okay, but that aside, from what I understand, people are nice to "fit," "attractive" people because it is part of our human design. We are drawn to people who are attractive mainly because of our need to reproduce and to pass on our genes. So we look for someone suitable, and that is rarely someone sick or unhealthy. So fast forward to today and the definition of unhealthy and sick is pretty much different for all (or is it?). Why do men look at pretty women and say, comment on their "hotness" or why do women like men of a certain physical build?

I agree that it sucks to be ignored because of weight issues. Congrats again!
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Wow.. I am in such awe at all these high weight losses I'm seeing in this thread. CONGRATS TO YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!! You are such a huge motivation to keep going.. and for the person who started this thread.. I say just laugh! I wouldn't talk to them either. SMH

Do they realize you are the same person or do they think you are someone else? If they know how they treated you before and suddenly are in your face trying to be your friend that's just wrong! .. and by the same person, I mean do they recognise that you were the person they never wanted to talk to.
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Run away from those superficial sadistic a-holes!!!!!!

I agree!
  • batlou
    batlou Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on your weight loss. That's always great news! I understand where you are coming from. When I moved to my new place, the landlord saw me at my heaviest (210 lbs) and now that I am 155, and because I was bed ridden from a back injury (he lives above me and knows whether I go out or not), he probably thinks I am on drugs or something, lol.

Okay, but that aside, from what I understand, people are nice to "fit," "attractive" people because it is part of our human design. We are drawn to people who are attractive mainly because of our need to reproduce and to pass on our genes. So we look for someone suitable, and that is rarely someone sick or unhealthy. So fast forward to today and the definition of unhealthy and sick is pretty much different for all (or is it?). Why do men look at pretty women and say, comment on their "hotness" or why do women like men of a certain physical build?

I agree that it sucks to be ignored because of weight issues. Congrats again!

Agree, I would also add that while many of us think we are the same we are not. I read a study about this some time ago that basically found healthy people are generally happier and more confident. Is it possible that while you might believe you are the same person your not? I am more apt to approach or have a conversation with someone that seems confident and happy than someone that's not. This has nothing to do with physical appearance or attractiveness for me and everything to do with not wanting to talk to someone that is a downer.

Of course I will talk to pretty much anyone that will give me an audience so I may not be the best one to comment on this. :)
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, it seems to me that most people in the world are just really bad people. =/
  • sarantonio
    sarantonio Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    :smile:
    Unfortunately, it seems to me that most people in the world are just really bad people. =/

I just had this coversation with my hubby last night...this is what makes people ...well, people, some look on as a pessimist ofters are more optomistic...Congrats on your weightloss...I would say confront them...if someone was rrude to you when you were bigger call them on it, not only will it (maybe) help you understand the situation, but it may (hopefully) prevent them from doing it to someone else
  • sarantonio
    sarantonio Posts: 880 Member
    Options

I just had this coversation with my hubby last night...this is what makes people ...well, people, some look on as a pessimist others are more optomistic...Congrats on your weightloss...I would say confront them...if someone was rrude to you when you were bigger call them on it, not only will it (maybe) help you understand the situation, but it may (hopefully) prevent them from doing it to someone else
  • angiolm
    angiolm Posts: 52
    Options
    Dude, don't let that shiit get to you so much. Enjoy life brother.

Ditto
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It's human nature. The majority of people favor thin people. Don't get me wrong, there are always exceptions, but it's just the norm. If you shun out the majority of people that think that way, you are going to have a lonely existence. It's just fact that thin/attractive people get the raises, get the promotions, get the friends, etc., etc. You want to label these people as superficial, but they're just being human. It's a natural response. Just some food for thought.

i'm noticing the same thing now that i've lost 30 pounds. people i met long ago who blew me off now want to date me...ughh..

but you can't change the way the world thinks..so if you can take advantage of being one of those people that people are interested in without even talking to you..take advantage of it!

the world won't change but you have. it's annoying but now you have a lot more instant draw..then you're a double threat because you not only have that great body but you have a personality and a BRAIN which most people lack :D

also, another thing i'm guessing is that the people who are more interested in you are healthy people, which is a personality trait. maybe they think they might have more in common with you now that they know you're up for a long bike ride, hiking, or rock climbing, something like that? i'm just trying to stay positive..heh...