High Heart Rate

Options
hi ya'll! I have a high heart rate to begin with...resting i'm always over 100 bpm...my doctor says that everything is normal...just fast...lol but I was just wondering if anyone else on MFP has a high heart rate too and how it affects your workouts? prebaby (and pre huge weight gain) the only thing that i found it really affected was my running since I would become short of breath if my heartrate got too high...now since i'm out of shape and although i am slowly building myself back up i still struggle and find myself having to pause and slow my heartrate back down....i guess i just find it very frustrating!

Replies

• abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I am a Nurse...and yes an average resting HR is usually between 60-100 it can be lower depending on your age and fitness level. People in very good shape usually have lower then normal resting HRs, around 40-60. How old are you and what is you fitness level and weight?? If ya dont mind me asking....
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I had tachycardia years ago and my Dr. put me on medication to slow my heart rate down, I had always felt my chest pounding at rest and the medication stopped it
  • randomgyrl
    randomgyrl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have a very fast heart rate aswell, resting is about 110bpm. I have been to a doctor, cardiologist, I wore a hear monitor for 2 days and they checked the results. Everything is fine, I just have a really fast resting heart rate. I find that I do have to stop and let my heart slow some when I am doing a really intense workout. It makes me nervous sometimes but my doctor doeesn't seem to concerned about it. I was told to just pay attention to my body, if I start feeling it beating really hard or if I don't feel quite right I don't push it. I would say just slow your pace until you get back to a comfortable rate. That doesn't mean you have to stop your workout, just slow down a bit.
  • ltf304
    ltf304 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If it is always over 100bpm then that is not normal. Normal would be 60 to 100 and not over 100.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-rate/AN01906

I would suggest going to a different doctor.
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I'd go get it checked out also - if it is interfering with your ability to exercise and maintain an increased heart rate/effort because it is going too high you're just compromising your ability to get in shape... You may be able to use a medication to lower it safely which will allow you to exercise with greater intensity. Bottom line a cardiologist will be able to best determine how to get you safely on an exercise program and you'll be able to work out without worry :bigsmile:

When I was jogging this morning my heartrate went up over 200bpm so I do get your challanges! (still thinking my HRM was being funky as I'm clearly FINE)
  • MyLittleSonshine
    MyLittleSonshine Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at 188 although it was an issue when i was at a healthy weight of 145 prebaby- I was obviously in better shape then but my HR was still always high- I'm only 22 yr old and my doctor(s) is/are unconcerned- he's done tons of tests and monitoring and everything comes back normal- it stills concerns me obviously but for now the best thing i think i can do is try to lose the extra weight
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    tachycardia isn't a medical issue but it is bothersome to me as i constantly felt my heart pounding, so the medication helped and I feel much better
  • brittbergh
    brittbergh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    my mother in law has this problem and she really always has. She used to be more active but not so much these days. Recently she did a three day heart monitoring and it came back fine for her heart but they ran more tests and found out she has massive thyroid issues...
  • MyLittleSonshine
    Options
    yeah the first thing my doctor tested was my thyroids and they all came back normal as did my EKG and whatever else he tested for :)
  • MyLittleSonshine
    Options
    i actually just thought of another question too...i know most people use heart rate monitors to determine how many calories they burn for something like a workout DVD and was wondering if there's another way to figure out calorie burn? i would think a monitor would be an inaccurate way to detemine calories burned for me??
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    hi ya'll! I have a high heart rate to begin with...resting i'm always over 100 bpm...my doctor says that everything is normal...just fast...lol but I was just wondering if anyone else on MFP has a high heart rate too and how it affects your workouts? prebaby (and pre huge weight gain) the only thing that i found it really affected was my running since I would become short of breath if my heartrate got too high...now since i'm out of shape and although i am slowly building myself back up i still struggle and find myself having to pause and slow my heartrate back down....i guess i just find it very frustrating!

Heart rate is related to exercise intensity. If you are having to "pause and slow...heartrate back down" it may not be a "heart issue" per se, but just the fact that whatever you are doing is too intense for your current fitness level. I guess I am wondering why you feel the need to "slow the heartrate", Is it the number itself? or are also feeling dizzy, light-headed, or short of breath?
  • MyLittleSonshine
    Options
    i start getting short of breath and of course my heart is pounding (which i know is part of exercising lol but i can also tell when its pounding too much if that makes sense)...I'm ex-air force so although i am out of shape from having my son (he's now 18 mo) i'm not exactly new to exercising although none of my doctors had ever mentioned my high HR until last year....they looked thru my records and saw that they all showed HR usually between 100-111...even the ones after basic training where i was at my ideal weight and really fit....back then i had enough strength i could make it thru any of our workouts but i still couldnt run because any time i tried pushing myself running wise i would feel like i couldn't get a deep enough breath and would be lightheaded.....now that i'm aware of why i try not to get to that point- because not being able to breathe like that is scary! but now without the strength to back everything up my workouts are frustrating...
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    as long as they have run the tests and said everything is fine....just keep working out. Take breaks and eventually I think your HR will come down while exercising. But you need to stop when it gets to high and take a few minutes off
  • LadyG33
    LadyG33 Posts: 46
    Options
    I have SVT and was placed on meds to slow it down. I especially noticed the irregularity and shortness of breath just walking as I got older and significantly out of shape. When I was younger, I used to just think it was anxiety or something. HOwever, now I just break out in cold sweats and get light headed. My cardiologist wants me to lose some of the weight I have gained, and start out walking and then walking with weights to get my cardio level back up to a more tolerable level. Sometimes a higher heart rate can be normal if you have SVT but in good health. However, as the weight piles on and you have a high heart rate, it starts to get tricky.