Major DOWN...And not the "right one"

Options
The "right one" being the scale...No.
This Down is the result of a few weeks in the making...The scale not going down fast enough...My relapse to emotional eating...A 3 pound weight gain in the last couple of days...
First, I am still kinda confused with the exercise calories being eaten or not and also by the fact that I discovered (Through the help of a Great MFP member) that my workouts were much less in terms of burned calories...
From 608 to 400. Ouch.
Anyone who has suffered from yo-yo dieting and exercising will understand: I woke up this morning NOT CARING. And NOT CARING always leads back to the same result...Regaining all the weight back.
I still have 35 pounds to go to reach my goal...And right now all I feel is shame, disgust and disbelief that I might be getting on the Weight loss merry go round again...When I promised myself in January I would end the battle...With myself.

E

Replies

• LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from. I've hit another rough patch where I let life & the things that happen revert me back to the emotional eating. It's hard getting back on track when that self loathing kicks in, but you can do this! Look at it this way...you're almost halfway to your goal...that is an awesome accomplishment! Think of the positive things, & you'll be back on track before you know it :smile:
  • MHackrott
    MHackrott Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Get back on track ASAP dont dwell over the bad, or you will keep reverting back to the bad. Change up your foods or workouts to get out of a rut! You got this ;)
  • ggtischer
    ggtischer Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This must be going around. I feel your pain and empathize with the frustration and irritation that goes along with letting yourself down. I caved this afternoon and ate a 2/3 pound Monster Thickburger from Hardees (including fries and the medium soda). After relishing in the flush of nastiness coursing through my veins and recording the embarassment in my food diary, I've steeled myself to try again tomorrow.

It's okay to have an off day - it's okay to slip once in a while and gain 3 or 5 pounds in a day. We're human! Water weight alone brought on by induced stress can result in various fluxations of weight. It's okay to cave and eat the nasty food we've been craving.

The trick is to NOT let it become a habit. I've been doing this for 3.5 weeks now. I've been "dieting" since I was 18 with a new baby and over 100 pounds of gain pregnancy weight. Only recently did it hit me that in the past 12 months I've shed 20 pounds?!

Changing a lifestyle is never easy friend. Know that you are not alone; Know that there are others out there screaming at the scale "WTF? 3 pound increase?" and then thinking maybe if we injest a laxative it'll fix everything ... As with every path in life there will be speed bumps and pot holes - REMEMBER: KEEP MOVING FORWARD!! Don't bother looking behind. - CCL
  • JB2073
    JB2073 Posts: 5
    Options
    :smile: You can't change what has happened, but you are in control over what you do about it. Don't let it win!
  • esslgs
    esslgs Posts: 29
    Options
    Wow you have lost 35 pounds that is incredible and fantastic!!!! I bet you are super proud of that accomplishment, I know I would be. Keep positive
  • bennight72
    Options
    I agree! Someone told me once.."it's okay.. you know it happened, accept it and move on". Really, you can't go back and undo anything but you can learn from it and make the adjustments that you need.
  • rebysue
    rebysue Posts: 136
    Options
    Been there! I think for me it was self sabotage. I saw that I was losing and knew that I "always" failed at this before. So I would just decide to help the failure along. You know, get the diappointment over with quicker! But I eventually realized that I don't have to fail. It is possible to succeed, even with a few bad days here and there. Don't let a couple of bad days throw you completely off. You HAD a couple of bad days. You gained three pounds. BUT you've lost 25. You've had several great MONTHS!! Yesterday does not define tomorrow. You got this! :smile:
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    This is why you do things like people in Alcoholics Anonymous do: day by day. Looking at the bigger picture will drive a person like you insane. Believe me, I've been there.

So what? You gained three pounds? Do you know how EASY it would be for you to lose it? It's easier to lose 3 than it is to lose 35, so work on removing those 3 lbs first and you're well on your way to getting back on track!

An all-or-nothing perfectionist personality is something that takes a while to overcome, but you CAN overcome it! You didn't become like this overnight and you won't re-train your brain overnight either!

Three pounds is NOTHING, now get yer bootie movin' and start burnin' those calories! :o)
  • RissaDean
    RissaDean Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    First - *HUGS* for doing so well for the past 8 months!!!

Second - put the cookie/brownie/chips/whatever your weakness is DOWN.

Now log it.

Now move along with your day and plan something healthy for dinner tonight.

This is not a yo-yo or merry-go-round. It's life. You're going to have ups and downs and frustrations and AAAAAAAAARGH!!! moments, but you're going to deal with it differently from now on...You've obviously been doing things differently for the past 8 months - what changed?

Yes, you realized that you're not burning as much as you thought you were - that 200 cals might've slowed your loss just a bit.

However, you're still burning FOUR HUNDRED CALORIES at a time!! That's AWESOME!!! Please pat yourself on the back for that - that's something that I'm pretty sure you weren't doing "before."

What are you expecting from the scale? Are you expecting to drop 1# each week? Is this something that maybe you should re-evaluate? I found that when I adjusted my cals and expectations from 1 to .5 per week, I am doing a LOT better. I'm not almost-hungry all the time (even though I have less than 200 more cals per day than before). I'm waaaaaaaaaay less hostile.

Yes - you have 35# to go....but from your ticker, you're HALFWAY to your goal! You've lost 25 lbs!!! Maybe try changing your ticker layout so that it reflects what you've lost, instead of how far you have to go?

It's highly unlikely that you gained back 3# in 2 days. It might be water weight, too much sodium lately, etc. Just drink lots of water, try to get in a walk here or there, and it will go back down.

Are you taking your measurements? Please start. Even when the scale doesn't move (or moves .3 down) I measure once every 2 weeks, and the measurements have been consistently going down.

*HUGS* again for realizing that you're having a hard time, but now instead of giving up you're fighting back. Way to go!
  • cnewyou
    cnewyou Posts: 40
    Options
    We all go through these down times. That's why we need our MFP friends for support. Be patient with yourself. I'm sure you didn't gain all of the weight you want to lose in a small amount of time, so don't expect to lose it in a certain amount of time. Since you know you are eating emotionally, figure out the root of the problem and take steps to resolve it. Remember you're worth it. Do you have a before picture you can look at to remind yourself how far you've come? If so, now's the time to take it out and give yourself some praise for how far you've come! You will reach your goal as long as you don't give up!
  • EvieDiNova
    Options
    First thing... DON"T HATE YOURSELF. There are enough people in the world who will do that for you. Love yourself no matter what...so what your not perfect...is anyone out there really perfect and have it all, health, happiness, money, great spouse, small noise, big bust, etc.,etc. Second, staying healthy is an everyday event that you need to incorporate in your daily routine. Just like you find the time to brush your teeth and wash your face you need to say to yourself I will give my body 30 minutes of exercise everyday. Third, it really is about eating clean 90 percent of the time. 10 percent exercise. If you feel like putting something in your mouth that you know is not healthy wait and count to 10 slowly and then think about if you really want to give in to that stupid craving. I tell my children all the time if you don't think your fabulous no one else will and you won't please everyone and have everyone like you but do you really give a ____fill in the blank...LOL

Good luck, stay positive and LOVE yourself like no one else could in this world. :smile:
  • Twins2007
    Twins2007 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU EVERYONE :flowerforyou:

Your support & encouragement is soooooooo appreciated...You have no idea.

E :heart: