I want to be a runner!!

I'd love to be fit enough to just go out and run.
I've never been a runner, despite the rest of my family doing various cross country and athletics.

Its time to change that!

Im going to do five days of 2 minutes running / 2 minutes walking and do it ten times
Then increase the running by a minute, and do that for another 5 (ish) days.
Then just keep upping the running.

The idea is that eventually i will be able to run a decent length of time without stopping!!

Also, my friend and i have a challenge. As soon as i can do 15 minutes non stop running, we're going to go to a spin class. Just the thought of it knackers me out. Im not very fit!!

Arrgh im scared, lol!!

Is this a good way to build up my fitness and get into running. I want to be able to enjoy running. And use it to get some stress out.

Just having a bit of a blab.

Replies

• You could also try the Couch to 5k program - I'm on Week 3 and it's a great way to ease yourself into jogging :flowerforyou:
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Me too!!! Running is super hard for me! Good luck!
  • sangelic
    sangelic Posts: 207
    I just started C25K last week. The program is close to what you're planning to do. I've never been a runner and I'm REALLY loving this program!
  • Run / walk is the *perfect* way to get into running. Just build up slowly. You'll be amazed at the progress you make in a relatively short space of time. Check out Bob Glover's book "The Runner's Handbook" for some neat beginner's training plans. Or find things online at Runners World website. Is all good.
  • lmbame905
    lmbame905 Posts: 83 Member
    I've found spin to much easier than running. Especially on your knees!!!
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Yes, the Couch to 5K program is probably one of the best ways to learn how to run.

My first piece of advice to you however you choose to run is get some good shoes. They WILL make a difference.

Good luck to you!
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Go for it! I did the c25k last autumn and the programme was very good for me. I'd never ran ever ever ever before n now I love it, am injured at the mo but I love it, hope you have fun.
  • Yay You! I just started 3 weeks ago & I'm actually loving it! Have you heard of a program called Couch to 5K? It's the same idea of increasing your run time gradually and lessening the walking in between. If you have a smartphone you can download an app with timers that keep track of it all for you - it's GREAT! Good Luck! You'll be up & running in no time!

Oh, and I gotta tell ya, the feeling of finishing a 5-minute run when you REALLY didn't think you could is nothing short of AMAZING! I cried when I did it the first time a couple of days ago. It's worth every little ache and every drop of sweat!
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 741 Member
    +1 C25K
    I'm currently in Week 4 and doing 2.2 miles in about 35 minutes.
  • MHackrott
    MHackrott Posts: 84 Member
    Running is wonderful! I just started running 1 1/2yrs ago...I ran a 5K 3 months into it a half marathon beofre a year and am now training for a full marathon...everything about running is great! Stress releif, thinking time, weight loss/calorie burn...ect...love love love running!
  • emilynicole02
    emilynicole02 Posts: 355 Member
    I am also very interested in the couch to 5k program. I despise running....but want to LOVE it... any insight on the program? I just can't find the motivation to get out there and start it :( blahhh.

what are people's results from the program? and how fast are you seeing results?

(sorry to intrude on your original question, just thought this was kinda relevant to it!)

:)
  • I started running on September 1, 2010....I couldn't run a quater of a mile ( that'sonly one time around the track) so don't hink I could actually call it running then but I was persistent and here I am a year later I have run numerous 5Ks and 10Ks and I running in a half marathon in January. I started out running (or attempting to run) at least 6 days a week and just kept pushing! Sign yourself up for a 5K run in your area and it will keep you motivated! Good Luck!
  • kendf60
    kendf60 Posts: 234 Member
    I finished C25K a couple of months ago and it was a great way for me to build up to running for 30 minutes straight! I try to run 2 or 3 times a week now and do something else a couple of times a week too. Be consistent and you'll do great!
  • jonniemarie1
    jonniemarie1 Posts: 77 Member
    so running in an easy task! I was never really overweight, and it was still hard for me to get into it! I would do the same thing, run one minute, walk one minute... until i was able to run consistently for 10 or 15 minutes. Then I increased the speed, and continued to work on my running that way.Make sure you have good shoes, and are running on the forefront of your foot, so you don't end up hurting your knees!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I really, really advise against running every day, especially at first. You can injure your ankles and knees which aren't used to the pounding they are about to get. Every other day is what is recommended by the Couch to 5K program and numerous other sources. Before you start running more than a few miles, make sure you're wearing the right shoes, too, by getting professionally fitted at a running store.
  • bex879165
    bex879165 Posts: 121 Member
    I want to run too!!

I walk loads!! Try to do about 60-90 mins a time 5 or 6 times a week but at a nearly running pace pushing my 18 month old in a heavy pushchair! (Not during hols as my older child can't do the mileage or the speed!) I've been doing it since Feb/Mar and have lost 31lbs with that and the healthier eating. I tried mixing a bit of jogging then running in with it but my shins just can't take it!! Was in pain for days after! Do this pass or am I just born not to run? :-)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I want to run too!!

I walk loads!! Try to do about 60-90 mins a time 5 or 6 times a week but at a nearly running pace pushing my 18 month old in a heavy pushchair! (Not during hols as my older child can't do the mileage or the speed!) I've been doing it since Feb/Mar and have lost 31lbs with that and the healthier eating. I tried mixing a bit of jogging then running in with it but my shins just can't take it!! Was in pain for days after! Do this pass or am I just born not to run? :-)
    Don't try to start too much, too quickly. Shin splints are usually caused by doing too much too soon as well as bad shoes and hard or difficult road surfaces. Just jog at an easy pace (you should still be able to carry on a conversation while jogging) and walk in intervals for awhile. Once your body starts to get used to it, you can increase your speed.
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    I'd suggest c25k too. I just finished and ran my first 5k last weekend. Your program is fine too except I think 5 days is too much to start. Your chances of getting hurt or burnt out is much greater when you start so frequent like that. That's why the c25k program only allows you to run 3 times per week throughout the entire program.
  • Thanks for the suggestions! Just done it! Managed to do a total of 8 minutes running and 16 minuutes walking. Took me that long to get round my estate, will build it up slowly from here :)
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Honestly, 5x a week is too much for a beginner runner. 3x a week is what's recommended. Start from there and build up your endurance.