Heart rate monitor..

Options
Hello everyone! I am new to MFP, but I must say... I LOVE it!!! I've had more success with this than anything I've ever tried.
Ok, so I've seen a lot of posts about HRM & I was wondering how they stack up against the exercise database here on MFP.. Does the database usually figure you higher or lower?? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!!! :)

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    It depends on the exercise, the person and the HRM.

My Polar is generally higher then what MFP says on any given exercise but lower then what a machine says.
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    For me, the database for MFP is WAY over. Apparently, five minutes on the elliptical burns 100 calories. I really wish that were true. I have a Polar FT4, and it seems pretty accurate, although it is quite low (major disappointment with all of my working out).
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    For me the database and the machines are way under. My HRM is what I go by.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Like dad106 says, it really depends. For me, nearly everything MFP says is about double what my HRM says. The elliptical will say (for instance) 600 calories burned, MFP will say 800, and my HRM will say 420.

If you're interested in a HRM, the Polar FT7 is right under $80 on Amazon.com shipped. I like it for more than the calorie burn, especially if you favor a certain cardio machine. Having the HRM means I don't slack off when my body becomes more efficient at the machine. I know where my heartrate should be and I know to move faster to get, and keep, it there. I find it very motivating.
  • danizaga
    danizaga Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    i've been pondering getting an HRM but i'm not sure what to get. any recommendation? i've been trying for a 5k so i'd like something that keeps track of my mileage. thanks.