did i handle this properly, is it the end of the world? lol

Options
I have a three year old niece and my mom invited her for dinner tonight because we havent seen her in a week or so. She said to my mom "so like a party, with cake??" and my mom thought it was sooooo darn cute that we got her the cake that she wanted from dairy queen. So now this "dinner" has turned into a mini birthday party for no one lol.

But the menu for tonight is Bacon Carbonara, which is sooooo fattening, like through the roof, and my mom will NOT be using any alternatives with dinner tonight to make it healthier for me.. also i love sweets, sweets are my lover food of choice, so i dont want to pass up this ice cream cake! And i want to enjoy this one night of Bacon Carbonara pasta too.

I barely ate all day to prep for this.. i had a real fruit smoothie 16oz. mango,banana, and pineapple.. then 1/2 a mint aero bar, and a 170 calorie chicken breast... I walked mod. pace for about 40 minutes only burning 188 cals today, and its raining so i wont be going out again today.

So what do you think, is it okay for me to indulge in this evening, not like over the top, but just like a normal person??? ADVICE NEEDED.

Replies

• Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    A splurge day once in a while is actually a good thing to keep your metabolism on its toes. One night isn't going to kill you.
  • soonersgirl
    soonersgirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    one night of letting a little loose isn't going to hurt you. just try to not over do it. everything in moderation :)
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    One night of indulgence isnt gonna kill you girl! I would say go for it :) and maybe do some extra exercises tomorrow! have fun!!
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I mean, if you use the "it's only one day..." excuse every day you won't get anywhere. But honestly, I have chocolate almost every day and still lose weight. Going over ONE night (especially since you've adjusted a bit for it) won't make or break you.
  • kmumansky
    kmumansky Posts: 119
    Options
    Enjoy! Sounds fun :) I think one cheat meal a week is fine, sounds like you've taken good steps to prepare yourself for it today also!
  • abeachlady
    Options
    Once in a while an indulgence is ok. It shouldn't be a diet, but a life choice, so it's ok now and again. Just don't over do.
  • gympamela
    gympamela Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I say have a splurge night and make sure you kick your *kitten* hard tomorrow!!!
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    A splurge day once in a while is actually a good thing to keep your metabolism on its toes. One night isn't going to kill you.

Exactly!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    First of all, definitely not the end of the world :smile: I would ask myself if I have "indulged" recently, then I would make sure what ever I ate, I logged. Then I would make sure that if I went over today, I would cut back or exercise more during the rest of the week to keep my weekly average at or below my goal.

Try to not to go crazy and keep your portions within reason and really ask yourself if you are hungry when tempted to reach for that second piece of ice cream cake. I bet you will be just fine! Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • sherismb
    sherismb Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    One night is not going to kill and you'll be surprised you're not going to be able to eat as much as you think you're going to.
  • Jennfur2610
    Jennfur2610 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    For sanity's sake I believe it's ok to indulge every so often. There is a line of indulging and overdoing it too. Obviously you wouldn't eat the entire cake, or the dinner. I'd try to keep it within reason. I'm not really sure what Bacon Carbonara is, but the name sounds fattening. Could you add a salad (lettuce or fruit) to this to help make it a little less unhealthy?
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    YES, have your cake and eat it too :)
  • amandakay23
    Options
    Indulge like a normal person. Being miserable and completely restricting yourself from food like this will make you crazy. This is a lifestyle change and you will come across situations where you will eat a little differently than you had originally planned. If you can, fit some movement in there somewhere to burn some of the calories you will be eating. It is not the end of the world though, in my opinion. :flowerforyou:
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I say eat the S**T out of that ICE CREAM CAKE!! :drinker:

yeah, you didn't have to skimp on calories all morning to prep for a big dinner. Some days (once a week for some, for me more like once every 6 weeks) I just want to eat. and eat. and eat. and eat pints of ice cream, and ice cream cake. and oreos.

and I do.

and usually, the next day, I lose weight :laugh:

indulge tonight. enjoy the cake. enjoy the friends/family. :) and try not to indulge again for a respectable amount of time!
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    splurge, then work a little extra exercise in for a couple days to deal with the guilt...enjoy
  • Phanessa917
    Phanessa917 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    YES! Eat up! Yum!
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. It is ok to splurge once in a while.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Limit your portions, but yes - ENJOY yourself. Instead of a 3c of carbonara, just have 1 or 1.5c. Instead of a double piece of cake, just eat one serving. Also, double your exercise tomorrow, but don't eat back all your exercise calories. Say you need to burn an extra 300 calories for your splurge tonight. You exercise tomorrow buring 550. Only eat back 1/2 to make up for tonight. But really.....overall.....one day will not hurt you.

Life is way too short to miss out on special times like a faux birthday party with your niece. :wink:
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I just gotta say it... Bacon!!!!!!!!!

My dinner sounds so lame now. Go, and enjoy!
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I went over THREE days last week (a total of 1200 calories over 3 days) while I was sick so we were getting fast food and my husband was cooking. I lost 2 lbs....not that this is an every day / week thing or should be....but if it really is JUST this time only every few months I think it can actually help.

That said, you'll fill up and fill SICK really easily on that kind of food, you're not used to it....tread lightly, just one serving of each should be enough to satisfy.