Greek Yogurt

Options
cfreema
cfreema Posts: 30 Member
Hello! I keep hearing the word Greek Yogurt over and over. I googled it to find out exactly what it was. But now I am curious on how you use it to substitute for other products. Do you have a great Greek Yogurt recipe? Post it here! Thank you!

Replies

• pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I suggest first making sure you get the good brands....look for ones with JUST milk and bacteria...Fage is my favorite, but it is thick!

I have used it in devil's eggs, in place of mayo. I like it mixed with fruit and/or honey and/or granola/cereal...

It can sub for sour cream really well (think baked potato) and because it's thick it makes a great addition to a shake.

I would buy some and use it whenever you reach for mayo, sour cream, or other heavier foods...enjoy.
  • acrue21
    acrue21 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I LOVE greak yogurt!! My favorite is when i use it to dip my fruit in!! Its very filling and fulllll of protein!! I like the Fage brand as well. When i'm craving a desert i get the greek yogurt and add some honey its delicious
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Agreed, first of all, make sure you're getting real greek yogurt - just check the ingredients and if there are a bunch of words you can't pronounce (aside from the active cultures, that is), pass! Fage, Chobani and Brown Cow are a few of the good ones.

I haven't tried it yet but a friend of mine started using greek yogurt as a sandwich spread (mayo/miracle whip) substitute. I've also heard people using it as sour cream, which makes sense to me since the consistency and tang is about the same.
  • Cornpuff32
    Options
    I eat Chobani every morning (Fage is my fav...but it's a little pricy to have every day, I'll buy it if I'm going to use it for cooking).

I mix it with salsa for dip, I use it in palce of sour cream in spinach dip recipes and baking. I made blueberry muffins that called for sour cream with vanilla 0% chobani, they were amazing...tasted almost too good to be true (under 200 cal each, if I remember correctly). Any mexican stuff that calls for sour cream, sub greek yogurt. I can barely eat Danon Light N Fit or similar now.

My Dad's lost 30+ lbs since the spring, and credits it to cutting out cheese, fried stuff and reaching for plain greek yogurt with fruit and wheat germ when he wants an afternoon or evening snack. He says it's his super food.
  • kate_newlifestyle
    Options
    I eat every day plain greek yogurt. Just stay away from flavored ones they have to much sugar
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is GREAT! I love the Chobani, and yes the plain can replace sour cream or mayo very easily! I like the flavored ones unless sugar is an issue then just get the plain and add your own fruit. It is pretty much yogurt that has been strained twice so more water is removed, it is thicker than regular yogurt (... at least that is what I am told).
  • cfreema
    cfreema Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! It is officially added to my shopping list this week!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Full fat Fage is the only brand I eat.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it yet but a friend of mine started using greek yogurt as a sandwich spread (mayo/miracle whip) substitute. I've also heard people using it as sour cream, which makes sense to me since the consistency and tang is about the same.

So, aside from the cultures in yogurt, what would be the benefit of using it in place of sour cream? Isn't the fat content pretty much the same?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

So, aside from the cultures in yogurt, what would be the benefit of using it in place of sour cream? Isn't the fat content pretty much the same?
    It's very high in protein. I use the plain Fage 0% fat, exclusively. It is very thick and creamy, has 100 calories for a 6 oz. serving with 18 grams of protein, 20% of your calcium needs and zero fat. Fat free sour cream can't even compete.

I eat it most mornings with just some sweetener. I also like to add granulated onion and garlic and use it as a dip for veggies or Veggie Straws. It's superb as a replacement for sour cream in anything since I think it tastes nearly identical but is creamier.

I went to buy my usual 32 ounce container at Costco ($5) on Tuesday and see that they now have their own brand (Kirkland). They are offering two 32 ounce containers for $7 or $8 but it has a little less protein and an extra gram of sugar. If price is more important than the nutrients, it's an excellent deal.
  • sasy_sfinx
    Options
    so how does greek yogurt compare to low fat natural yogurt?! i usually have natural yogurt thats virtually fat free for breakfast with oats and fruit. personally don't like eating greek yogurt like that, to me i feel as though i'm eating double cream but a bit more tarte. shall be trying it as a replacement for sour cream though, love that on fajitas!
  • blondebandbabe
    blondebandbabe Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't like it plain. But i love the fage 0% that come with fruit or honey om nom nom!

I'd never thought about using it as sandwich spread or sour cream but since sour cream is my weakness i think a tub of plain is on my shopping list for today.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I quite like the taste of it plain, but then I don't have much of a sweet tooth.

Love it for breakfast - with berries in the summer, or with seeds and nuts in the winter - ginger and cinnamon go well with this, and are great metabolism boosters.

As a mayo substitute - use it to mix with tinned tuna.

As a side dish - mix with grated cucumber for a cooling raita to serve with curry.
  • labrat26
    labrat26 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I put the 0% fat plain in a smoothie with milk, egg whites and sweetner, a banana and frozen berries, and yumm...over 30 grams of protein...I am not hungry til lunch....
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% is my fav....I eat it every single day! I like to mix in some sugar-free cherry jello powder for flavor and eat it with fresh fruit. I also use it as a sour-cream sub.
  • ziggy67
    ziggy67 Posts: 351
    Options
    I substitute it for cream and put a spoonful in my curries. I prefer it in its natural state sprinkled with a table spoonful of flaxseed, ground walnuts, and brazil nuts.