Standing work day vs Sitting

Options
Does anyone know if you can burn a significant more calories standing for 8 hours vs sitting? I found one site that looks like this is so but somehow I don't trust the increase in calories.

Thank you for you input! :happy:

Replies

• amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if you can burn a significant more calories standing for 8 hours vs sitting? I found one site that looks like this is so but somehow I don't trust the increase in calories.

Thank you for you input! :happy:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I burn a great deal of calories at work because I'm on my feet all day. The walking distance is short from the floor to the backroom, but I burn like 2 times the calories I burn just sitting, or more if it's a busy day and I have to use the ladders a lot. :grumble:
  • gsschulte
    gsschulte Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    well logically yes you would burn more just because you have to keep yourself erect which takes balance so your core is working all day. would it be significant? well maybe i work one job at a desk sitting and one job working kitchen work so its hard for me to say about just standing but i would imagine that you would get some incremental increase for it but i would not count it just like i do not count the second job as moderate exercise.
  • amunet07
    Options
    I do a "loop" where I travel then stand at the copier and copy records then take the stairs wherever I can and do alot of shifting from a counter about a foot away to the copier and it used to make my feet hurt so bad after that long day and I used to be sooo ravenous... but I wasn't sure and didn't want to add those 700 extra calories a website had told me if it was wrong...

• songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I do a "loop" where I travel then stand at the copier and copy records then take the stairs wherever I can and do alot of shifting from a counter about a foot away to the copier and it used to make my feet hurt so bad after that long day and I used to be sooo ravenous... but I wasn't sure and didn't want to add those 700 extra calories a website had told me if it was wrong...

That's not exercise--it doesn't increase your cardiovascular health or strain your muscles. That's just daily activity. That is what you account for when you choose your lifestyle--sedentary to extremely active. I walk a lot between school and work, so my setting is lightly active...I think the one with the 'nurse' job associated with it. If I just sat around all day it'd be sedentary. If I still worked at a kennel it'd be very active.
  • amunet07
    Options

That's not exercise--it doesn't increase your cardiovascular health or strain your muscles. That's just daily activity. That is what you account for when you choose your lifestyle--sedentary to extremely active. I walk a lot between school and work, so my setting is lightly active...I think the one with the 'nurse' job associated with it. If I just sat around all day it'd be sedentary. If I still worked at a kennel it'd be very active.

I guess that is what I was wondering. I usually sit all day and have my setting set for that... but on every other Wednesday I do the standing and moving thing so my sedentary would change on those days... how do I account for that? Like I said my leg & foot musles hurt and I'm more hungry so I know something is different/
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

I guess that is what I was wondering. I usually sit all day and have my setting set for that... but on every other Wednesday I do the standing and moving thing so my sedentary would change on those days... how do I account for that? Like I said my leg & foot musles hurt and I'm more hungry so I know something is different/

Just go to Goals and change your lifestyle to lightly active for that day. Then you can switch it back to normal for the next day when you're back to sitting more.