Fellow bookworms or even just someone who loves to occasiona

Options
13»

Replies

• jsiler181
    Options
    I just began reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I bought the first two books and am anxiously awaiting for the third to be available in paperback.

I'm also in the middle of reading George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones. I was obsessed with the series and immediately after season one ended, I ordered the first four books in the series.

I recently read Water For Elephants (so much better than the movie). I enjoyed the story as much as I would any romance, but the history was captured so beautifully that it really made it a must-read.

The books I always go back to, though, are the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Of Mice and Men, and any books profiling serial killers. My favorite is Patricia Cornwell's Portrait of a Killer, Jack the Ripper: Case Closed.

Any biography on James Dean (he's my favorite actor of all time and lead such a fascinatingly tragic life), Marlon Brando, Judy Garland, and I'm currently reading My Lucky Life In and Out of Show Business, **** Van *kitten*'s memoir. Engaging, funny anecdotes throughout his career and life.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    thx for the suggestions i love reading i can read about a hundred pages an hr depnding on the book but i can read really fast so the more suggestions the better thx to all that have posted and more suggestions are welcome as they probably are helping other people to :) and thx to anyone who is yet tto post :)
  • Hattie2879
    Hattie2879 Posts: 131
    Options
    Anything by Stephen King or The Lord of the Rings trilogy or the Stephanie Plus series by Janet Evanovich...
  • adventuring
    Options
    Good Omens - Neil Gaiman and Terry Prachett
    The Hitchhiker's Guide - Douglas Adams
    Inkheart, Inkspell, Inkdeath - a trilogy by Cornelia Funke
    World War Z - Max Brooks (If you are into zombies at all, this one is fantastic)
    Percy Jackson series - Rick Riordan

I read primarily fantasy/sci-fi, but a couple awesome non-fiction books

Salvation on Sand Mountain - Dennis Covington
    The Year of Living Biblically - AJ Jacobs

Both investigate different aspects of faith. Salvation on Sand Mountain is about the snake handling churhes in the south and The Year of Living Biblically follows the author who decided to live by the letter of the Bible for a year instead of the essence. I am not 'of faith' and still loved them both.

Ooooh, I love The Hitchhiker's Guide! I've started Good Omens as well, and it's brilliant so far.
  • adventuring
    Options
    I'm a reader! These times are few and far between, but I'm actually not reading anything right now.

If I had to recommend books to total strangers without any idea what kind of books they like:

For thinkers/classical book lovers:

- The Stranger by Albert Camus
    - Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
    - Sacred Hunger by Barry Unsworth
    - The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
    - The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells

For food/life/veggie stuffs:
    - Eating Animals by J Safran Foer
    - Twinkie Deconstructed by Steve Ettlinger
    - Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser

For the fluffy, candy readers:
    - Harry Potter ANYTHING. yes. by the wonderful JKR
    - His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman (Includes The Golden Compass)
    - ANYTHING by Carl Hiaasen, my favorites are Sick Puppy and Skinny Dip
    - ANYTHING by Augusten Burroughs
    - Choke by Chuck Palahniuk
    - When the Wind Blows by James Patterson

Lol, the His Dark Materials trilogy are my favorite books aside from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, but I dunno if I'd call them fluffy candy. They're really quite dark for books aimed at younger readers.
  • geeky1
    geeky1 Posts: 142
    Options
    If you like romance/murder/crime genre, I would emphatically recommend Karen Rose.

Exceptional books.
  • jendra11339
    Options
    Sharon Shinn's Samaria series is great for science fiction/fantasy/romantic fans.
    For pun lovers nothing can beat anything by Spider Robinson. I have never finished reading a Spider Robinson book and not felt such a wide range of emotions. His Stardancer Trilogy and Callahan Series are simply amazing.
    Lois McMaster Bujold- queen of science fiction and fantasy: fantasy series- The Sharing Knife, science fiction series- Vorkosigan Saga
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with Christopher Moore. A Dirty Job is one of my favorite books of all time. If you're into teen fiction, I've read a few recently that I really enjoyed.

The Skinjackers trilogy by Neil Shusterman (Unwind by him is also good)
    Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion
    The Forest of Hands and Teeth trilogy by Carrie Ryan
    Birthmarked by Caragh M. Obrien
    The Gates by John Connolly
    Impossible by Nancy Werlin

For good adult books with a supernatural theme...

The Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon
    The Fallen Angels series by JR Ward
    The Night Huntress series by Jeanine Frost
    The Morgan Kingsley series by Jenna Black
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (enjoyed this one wayyyy more than I thought I would)
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Lol, the His Dark Materials trilogy are my favorite books aside from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, but I dunno if I'd call them fluffy candy. They're really quite dark for books aimed at younger readers.

Oh I don't mean it's not dark, just that those books aren't a trudge. You can read them super fast and you don't have to sit and think about them. But I know what you mean. I wrote four papers on the trilogy and could write 10 more if I needed to!
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Good Omens - Neil Gaiman and Terry Prachett
    The Hitchhiker's Guide - Douglas Adams
    Inkheart, Inkspell, Inkdeath - a trilogy by Cornelia Funke
    World War Z - Max Brooks (If you are into zombies at all, this one is fantastic)
    Percy Jackson series - Rick Riordan

I read primarily fantasy/sci-fi, but a couple awesome non-fiction books

Salvation on Sand Mountain - Dennis Covington
    The Year of Living Biblically - AJ Jacobs

Both investigate different aspects of faith. Salvation on Sand Mountain is about the snake handling churhes in the south and The Year of Living Biblically follows the author who decided to live by the letter of the Bible for a year instead of the essence. I am not 'of faith' and still loved them both.

Ooooh, I love The Hitchhiker's Guide! I've started Good Omens as well, and it's brilliant so far.

Anything by Neil Gaiman is amazing! And Neil Gaiman and Amanda Palmer are the cutest couple ever.

And don't forget the other Hitchhiker books!
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Book suggestions?? :D

What genre of book??
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Jodi Picoult books are awesome!!

The Note
    Redeeming Love
    Nicholas Sparks books!
    I have tons of Christian Books.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    my fave crime series is JD Robb's "In Death" series. it's up to a rediculous number of books, but they are a fun and awesome read - it's like Nora Roberts put her books in a blender with crime and sci fi. love them

anything by Neil Gaiman. that man could write stereo instructions and i would not only read them, i would probably LMAO.

i also read a lot of gay lit - highly rec. Draegon Lords and No Going Home. Bite is also really good - i can give you more if you like gay lit at all.

Harry Potter series, but i assume you've read them.

Jane Austin and Georgette Hayer are great for when you don't really want to think. they write brain vacatons.
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    ANYTHING, and I mean ANYTHING by Christopher Moore. I own all of his books and let me just say, if you like to LAUGH, he is your man!
    If you do take on his books, save LAMB for last. It is by far his best book however I wouldnt want you to measure his other books based on that one! Get ready to have people looking at you strange every time you bust out laughing. He also sometimes uses the same characters so you begin to recognize them!
    Island of the Sequined Love Nun
    Coyote Blue
    Bite Me
    Fool
    You Suck
    A Dirty Job
    The Stupidest Angel
    Fluke
    The Lust Lizard of Meloncholy Cove
    Bloodsucking Fiends
    Practical Demonkeeping
    Lamb