Need: "Healthy" Tater Tot Casserole Recipe

Options
Deev79
Deev79 Posts: 74 Member
Hey...
Does anyone have a "healthy" version of the typical tater tot casserole? I have actually never made this dish, but friends say it's delish, and it sounds like something my kiddos would like. I just don't want to kill my diet on this one dish! Any ideas would be appreciated!!

Replies

• Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump...I love tater Tot Casserole...
  • JS70
    JS70 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I would like that recipe too!
  • Chunkabutt83
    Options
    bump... i have no clue but i love it and if someone has one, i want the recipe lol
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Healthy tater tot is an oxymoron.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely NOTHING healthy about tater tots, burger, and velveeta cheese...just sayin And I agree with the statement that "healthy tater tot is an oxymoron"!
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I don't have a recipe per se but I once saw Hungry Girl replace part of the potatoes in a french fry recipe with turnips. Maybe you could grate a mixture of both and pan-fry them or bake with a little bit of olive oil? Or sweet potatoes.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,868 Member
    Options
    Try imputing the recipe and seeing how many calories it actually is. I was shocked to find that my Lasagna recipe that my whole family loves came in at a little over 350 calories. So why would I buy Lean Cuisine?
  • nwohler
    nwohler Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I would recommend using ground turkey instead of ground beef. And as an alternate to the recipe listed above, my mom makes it with one can of cream of Mushroom and one can of Cheddar Cheese Soup, instead of shredded cheddar cheese. It might cut down on the calorie total. It is a tasty and quick meal!
  • horaks
    horaks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I will try some suggestion to give you, you might have to play with it to perfect it!

Try Turkey burger,
    Tatertots=or try home made shredded or cubed potatoes, cook them first till there soft
    Veggies, Green Beans, corn and or one of the Veggie blends
    I would try Tomatoe soup-might be lower in fat, and or the good ole Cream of mush, cream of chicken, diluted
    Fat free cheese
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    What if you tossed sweet potato fried with olive oil and used them in place of the tater tots? Use reduced fat cheese and extra lean meat and only have a cup!
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    If you are serious about being healthy, this recipe shouldn't even be in your kitchen. :frown:
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Try this one:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/236318-cheeseburger-tator-tot-pie-365-calories?hl=tator+tot

You can always add more veggies and less meat to it too.
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    KG7Oml.jpg

http://blog.yourlighterside.com/2010/03/caulitots-baked.html

Ok first of all substitute the potatoes with the above recipe and that would help a lot. Then use a leaner meat. I am not sure about the rest but if someone would post the actually recipe I bet I could "clean" it up.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    KG7Oml.jpg

http://blog.yourlighterside.com/2010/03/caulitots-baked.html

Ok first of all substitute the potatoes with the above recipe and that would help a lot. Then use a leaner meat. I am not sure about the rest but if someone would post the actually recipe I bet I could "clean" it up.

Genius! I'm putting all these suggestions together someday to create an awesome hotdish! (I'm from MN, and that's what it's called!)