Can I still lose weight?

Options
I recently had an injury which has stopped me from exercising. My calorie intake recommended to lose weight is 1200. I'm 5'1, 114.8lb and 18 years old. If I intake 1200 calories (of healthy food obviously) will I still be able to lose weight without exercise? I work in a kitchen at about 4-5 hours each shift and I'm going to do 40 minutes walks everyday to keep up my metabolism but is this enough? I know it'll be slowly (this injury is quite longterm...) but will I still be able to? I'll try and gradually build it up to jogging but I was just curious as to what will happen.

*I thought I would be able to lose weight, even slowly, because my body burns 1200 off itself so...

Replies

• russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    That's plenty, including the kitchen work (see 'food preparation' in cardiovascular)
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    As long as you watch your food, you can lose weight without any exercise.
  • flyawaybyebye
    Options
    Weight loss is mostly diet, anyway. Exercise just keeps your muscles and skin healthy while you're losing, but it's the diet that determines if you lose and how much you lose. You'll do fine.
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Yes diet is more important that exercise for loosing weight. That said it is still a very good idea to exercise when possible.

Not sure what your injury is, but swimming, biking, hand bike, rowing machine, heavy bag, and elliptical are all ways to get quality exercise without putting much stress on the commonly injured joints / muscles in the lower body.

Of course you should consult with your doctor / physical therapist as they will have a better understanding of your situation
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You will still lose weight without the exercise. Just not necessarily as fast. Give yourself time to heal up though before you're back at it and checking with a doctor is good too. :)
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 20lbs with just diet, so yes, it can be done.
  • HeatherrSue
    HeatherrSue Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    At 5'1" and 114.8 pounds, you're BMI is at 21.7 which is perfectly healthy...is there a reason you're wanting to lose weight?