Questions on protein

Options
Just noticed that I have had a protein filled day. Baked Haddock for supper really did it lol)
What effect if any does going over your protein goal have on weightloss?

Just curious cause I went 27grams over my daily goal lol

:bigsmile:

Replies

• Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    Just noticed that I have had a protein filled day. Baked Haddock for supper really did it lol)
    What effect if any does going over your protein goal have on weightloss?

Just curious cause I went 27grams over my daily goal lol

:bigsmile:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I don't think one day of going way over is going to have any long term effects. I have heard a lot of people on here say that the protein "limits" that mfp gives you tend to be on the low end.

I'm not being much help, but wanted to bump this to see if anyone else had a better answer b/c I'm kind of curious myself!
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    long term effects of high protein can be very hard on your liver since that's where it's metabolized. This is seen by high protein, low carb diets such as atkins.

However, going over by 27g a day isn't a big deal. And I second the response saying they really give you the lower end of protein recommendation. I have manually changed my nutrient settings to decrease carbs and increase protein.
  • likes2bwet
    likes2bwet Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Good to know as I have noticed lately that my protien has been going over as well. Good to know it's not just me :tongue:
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys. My son's birthday today and I had my cake and ate it too. stil below my calorie goal for the day but holy smokes! now I am 86 grams over my protein goal lol. Ah well tommorows another day :glasses:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I don't think one day of going way over is going to have any long term effects. I have heard a lot of people on here say that the protein "limits" that mfp gives you tend to be on the low end.

I'm not being much help, but wanted to bump this to see if anyone else had a better answer b/c I'm kind of curious myself!

I meant going over for 1 day. Just wanted to clarify so I didn't look like a dope. :tongue:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    The 'by-the-thumb' rule is that you should aim to eat half your body weight in grams of protein per day, especially if you are working out/doing cardio. So of course it's okay to go over, significantly in some cases.