CHOBANI Greek Yogurt = Yuck :(

Options
So today was my first time trying Chobani's Non-Fat Plain Greek Yogurt.. (7g sugar, 18g protein). I added 1/2 a cup of Fiber One original bran cereal to it, and a couple of sliced up strawberries.. 182 cals total for lunch. It did fill me up, however it was gross.. a bit too sour for me..

Any other options to add to this yogurt? I did get the non-fat plain.. what are your favorite recipes with greek yogurt and that is HEALTHY..

Replies

• prettylyzard
    prettylyzard Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I had that oikos greek yogurt, it was fabulous! I got the kind with the fruit on the bottom, only 140 calories for a cup. I'm sure you could add whatever cereal you want to it, but it was great. Very rich and creamy, and satisfying!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    omg...this is blasphemous... Chobani is THE best!

honey, perhaps? I like their varieties with fruit on the bottom (peach and pineapple in particular) when i'm too busy to put my own in
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    yep YUK! Sour!
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    yeah the plain is yucky..try the black cherry flavored one.
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    You need to add a sweetener of some sort. I usually add honey, but I've also added vanilla protein powder in the past. Some people add Splenda or Stevia.
  • countrygirl_717
    Options
    I don't like Chobani either - I tried multiple brands and decided Fage Total 0% was my favorite. I usually add a bit of stevia crystals to it and then Bear Naked Granola - yumm! And fills me right up!
  • crystalmichelle82
    Options
    i like vanilla. I also like Fage. Tons of fruit :smile:
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    you can try a bit of honey, agave nectar, or other sweetener if it's too sour. I usually do half a cup of yogurt, 1/3-1/2 cup fruit, and a teaspoon of honey. Makes for a nice snack. Or put it in smoothies with some frozen fruit, bit of milk or almond milk, and a bit of sweetening if desired.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    oh gross! i feel the same way i dislike greek yogurt in general...however if you have a price rite near you they sell this amazing 90 cal yogurts (no artificial sweeteners and fat free!!) by axelrod. they even have little pieces of fruit in them and the container isnt really small so you feel satisfied after. its not GREEK yogurt but its pretty darn good!
  • atd81
    atd81 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Brown cow plain greek yoghurt rocks IMO.
  • FallonMCal
    Options
    The vanilla on is sweeter if you want to add your own fruit and cereal to it. Otherwise try the flavored ones. Very good. I love the pineapple.
  • countrygirl_717
    Options
    And if you're looking to keep it clean, stick with the plain like you're doing and add your own ingredients. Then you won't have the extra added sugar of the fruit varieties :)
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I agree that the plain chobani can be a little sour. The best greek yogurt out there is definitely Fage 2%. You won't be disappointed.
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    For us Canadian kids the President's Choice non-fat greek yogurt with honey is AWESOME!!!
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    my favorite recipe for the nonfat plain greek yogurt is to make a smoothie with it.

I add strawberries, blueberries, half a banana a little pineapple and about 2 tablespoons of oj to make it smoother and some ice and about 4 packets of splenda to sweeten it. Well I dont actually make it cuz I dont have a blender I have the bartender whip it up for me when I get to work. so I dont have exact measurements but that gives you an idea to start from. And you can add in your cereal sounds like a great idea.
  • srverde
    srverde Posts: 1
    Options
    I actually have been in love with this stuff the last couple weeks. It's great for eating immediately after a vigorous workout since it's packed with protein. However, I haven't had the plain. I've had all the "flavored" varieties though and I think they are great.
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    I think Greek yogurt makes a terrible desert -- especially if you're trying it for the first time.

If you think of it more as an alternative to sour cream, you'll be much happier.

One dish I enjoy is this:

Baked potato in a bowl topped with a pre-mixture of onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, and plain Greek yogurt. Top it off with some Mrs. Dash (or salt/pepper, if you're OK with the sodium) and enjoy. It is simple and delicious.
  • solflyer81
    solflyer81 Posts: 119
    Options
    Chobani was gross to me as well. I almost gave up on greek yogurt and then i tried fage total 0%-in love. I cant get enough of this stuff and its uses are limitless (i use it instead of sour cream now) in addition to just being yum.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I like Chobani and Fage the best but I half them with Brown Cow so they aren't so thick. I mix splenda in or even jell-o gelatin for taste and sweetness.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    omg...this is blasphemous... Chobani is THE best!

honey, perhaps? I like their varieties with fruit on the bottom (peach and pineapple in particular) when i'm too busy to put my own in

Completely agree.

Buy a flavored chobani. What were you expecting from plain yogurt?