Knee issues with running - new runner

Options
Hi, I'm a relatively new runner, I'm just about up to the 3.3 mile mark before I can't go any further. This usually takes me around 31 mins to do. I started running last summer, into the fall then didn't really run too much until this spring/summer. During this time period, I was running in some old LA Gear trainers that I had owned for a while. This summer I decided to take my running a little more seriously and try to enter my first 5K. So, I purchased some $60+ Adidas Galaxy trainers that have a cushioned sole. Wow, what a difference in comfort and support!
I've been running in these for a few weeks now, but recently I have noticed on my last 6 or so runs that the inside of my left leg - around the knee area is really sore. It is not specifically my knee that is sore, but rather the inside of my leg, at the same height as my knee. It's a little bit tender if I touch it but there is no redness or swelling at all. If I run now, it's sore for the first mile to mile and a half and then it doesn't hurt as much when I'm in my last mile. As of now, I've just been taking ibuprofen for pain relief, and using icy/hot on it.
I was wondering if any runners have experienced this, have any idea what it could be and have any advice before I reluctantly visit my doctor. I'm thinking if I rested and didn't run for a while this would help it. I'm kind of reluctant to do this - as it's taken me so long to reach this point in my running (3 miles) and also I've signed up for my first 5K which is on Sept 10th - in only a few weeks time, and I so want to do the race! Any advice welcome!

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It would be a good idea to see a doctor or a physiotherapist as they will be able to work out where the pain is comong from and give you advice about whether to keep running or rest.
    I had some knee pain a few months ago and the physio said it was inflamed tendons, showed me how to strap it to support it while it healed and told me I could keep running :)
    good luck!
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Here's my first question for you:

Did you choose the shoes based on look/color/fit/price? Or did you get FITTED for those shoes?

Also, the word "trainers" makes me wonder if you're wearing cross-training shoes (i.e. for aerobics, etc) or running shoes. BIG difference.

You are most likely wearing the wrong shoes - I recommend, and this goes for all you new runners out there who are wondering the same thing - go to a running store (not a big-box store, like Sports Authority or ****'s or Big 5) and get fitted for the right shoes. The fitting is free; the shoes will cost a little more. (Good running shoes aren't cheap, unless you find a discontinued model on clearance.)

The location of your pain sounds like it could be pes anserine bursitis - I've had flare-ups of that from time to time. It's just to the inside of the kneecap, right? Maybe slightly below at an angle?

R.I.C.E. is your friend (and I don't mean the stuff in your sushi). Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. (Not Icy/Hot, but actual ice.) How many days a week do you run? Are you running too fast too soon? Did you jump right into running or start with Couch to 5K or a run/walk technique like Jeff Galloway's?

I would put my money on it being your shoes. Definitely go get fitted before your race, then you have a couple of weeks to try them out before race day (NO NEW IS GOOD NEW on race day!). In the meantime, ice your knee and rest a day or two. If it is bursitis, it will go away on its own. I generally notice a flare-up when I need new shoes. :)

Best of luck!
  • Sonia43
    Sonia43 Posts: 6
    Options
    Here's my first question for you:

Did you choose the shoes based on look/color/fit/price? Or did you get FITTED for those shoes?

Also, the word "trainers" makes me wonder if you're wearing cross-training shoes (i.e. for aerobics, etc) or running shoes. BIG difference.

You are most likely wearing the wrong shoes - I recommend, and this goes for all you new runners out there who are wondering the same thing - go to a running store (not a big-box store, like Sports Authority or ****'s or Big 5) and get fitted for the right shoes. The fitting is free; the shoes will cost a little more. (Good running shoes aren't cheap, unless you find a discontinued model on clearance.)

The location of your pain sounds like it could be pes anserine bursitis - I've had flare-ups of that from time to time. It's just to the inside of the kneecap, right? Maybe slightly below at an angle?

R.I.C.E. is your friend (and I don't mean the stuff in your sushi). Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. (Not Icy/Hot, but actual ice.) How many days a week do you run? Are you running too fast too soon? Did you jump right into running or start with Couch to 5K or a run/walk technique like Jeff Galloway's?

I would put my money on it being your shoes. Definitely go get fitted before your race, then you have a couple of weeks to try them out before race day (NO NEW IS GOOD NEW on race day!). In the meantime, ice your knee and rest a day or two. If it is bursitis, it will go away on its own. I generally notice a flare-up when I need new shoes. :)

Best of luck!

Thanks for the advice. Firstly I picked out the running shoes based on comfort and how they felt on my feet. Admittedly I didn't get them "fitted" at a running store, but color, style etc didn't really come into the decision making. I was just aware that I needed something better than what I had been previously wearing. As for me calling them trainers, my apologies - this is just my Britishness coming out in me - as running shoes are typically called trainers in the UK! I definitely purchased running shoes, and not cross-trainers. You pinpointed the area that is hurting completely accurately. I did not start any running program such as couch25K last summer. I started running when my cousin came to visit me last year, and she encouraged me to try it. She is an experienced runner and has been so for many years. I started off very slowly, as I couldn't even run a quarter mile last year. As I mentioned in my first post, it has taken me a long time to get where I am, as I have been careful not to push too hard too soon. I basically set myself mini goals to achieve, distance-wise, and have finally ended up where I am today, being able to run for just over 3 miles, relatively comfortably. I run around 3-4 times a week, never consequetively with a day inbetween where I may cycle instead. I will try the R.I.C.E. suggestion and hope that this will help me. I so want to compete in the race and say that I've ran a 5K, it's the final goal that I set myself when I first started last summer! Thanks again for the advice!