THE FLAB??

Options
I'm so excited that I've joined MFP and have lost my first 10lbs because of it! (SW: 213lbs, CW: 203lbs) My only concern, though, is if getting to my goal weight of 135/140, if I will have excess skin in my arms, legs, and stomach? Are there exercises to prevent this? If so, any suggestions would help! I'm just so thankful that I decided to change my life, and when I get to a place where I feel comfortable and happy, I just want to know that my body will look its best!

Replies

• Persian99
    Persian99 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering how this will work out as well. I've started working with a personal trainer, so my plan is to talk to her about it.

I am already looking into what my insurance will cover in terms of cosmetic procedures. Judging by the stretch marks I have on my stomach from my fairly sudden recent weight gain, there will be plenty of loose skin once I reach my goal.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    You're still young so your skin should still be quite elastic and recover eventually, but I'd keep to a steady weight loss becasue that gives your skin time to recover; you run a greater risk of having excess skin if you drop too much too quickly.

But well done on your progress so far and keep the faith :flowerforyou:
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I started at the same weight as you and had the same concerns. Unfortunately, I have been heavy most of my life and having three children didn't help with my tummy. I can tell you that I am doing at least three days a week of weight training which had really helped the definition in my arms and legs. I think a lot of it depends on genetics and your age and the elasticity of your skin. One thing is for sure though, even with extra unwanted skin and still some pockets of fat (grrrrrr), I am feeling great and loving wearing the smaller sizes!
    I would suggest enjoying the journey and not fretting "the flab".
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    yea I'm kind of concerned with that too, especially the arms and thighs. I think strength training and toning along with slow and steady weight loss will minimize what stays flabby