Help MFP :( I'm confused lol. Stick to 1,200 cals?

EthanJeremiahsMama
EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
edited October 1 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone! I've been on 1,200 cals intake per day for about 2 months now... I was wondering if I should up my calories? I ONLY go to the gym 3 times a week for an hour and usually burn about 500 cals those 3 days.. sometimes I go on Sundays too.

Anyway.. anyone on here been on 1,200 cals per day with MFP for a while & upped their calories within a certain amount of time? I'm not sure how this works but jw! Thanks for any responses. Help is highly appreciated

Replies

• lguy29
    lguy29 Posts: 131
    In my non-expert opinion I would say stick to 1200 calories a day. You can eat more when you work out, but if you aren't going to work out, you need a calorie deficit from eating alone. However, if you plan on maintaining your weight, change your settings in MFP and it will probably place you around 1400 calories a day.
  • koylefam
    koylefam Posts: 142 Member
    I did at first 1200 was fine.. then I became tired and sluggish and couldn't drop an ounce.. I do work out at a minimum 200 cal burn 4-6 days per week.. so when I started feeling tired and grouchy I upped to 1350 and the weight started dropping again
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    I just took a look at your journal. You are not eating enough. You should be eating at least 1200 calories and netting AT LEAST 1200 calories. Eat you exercise calories to get you to 1200. Eventually, your body is going to have nothing to work with and will start holding on to fat. You need to be nourished. Definitely eat those exercise calories and then see where you stand.

Best wishes
  • ShaoonaRae
    ShaoonaRae Posts: 60 Member
    It's good to fluctuate your calorie intake every once and awhile, it helps prevent plateaus. It wouldn't hurt upping your calories to 1500-1600, and with still going to gym you'll lose weight. :) I switch mine every week, going from 1600 to 1400 to 1200, and it helps keep the weight coming off every week. I don't work out very much though, I need to lose a bit first so i don't damage my joints (I have a wonderful hereditary condition! :D)
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    General rule when dieting to lose weight, especially when you're close to your goal (I'm guessing from your pic that's where you are) is six weeks cutting cals, two weeks maintanence. Your body needs a break once in a while is all
  • cmhwolfe
    cmhwolfe Posts: 1 Member
    The program I am in is a program heavy in exercise. At LEAST three times a week for one hour. We are told to keep it between 1200-1500 calories and you need to make sure you are getting carbs and protein if you are working out a lot. Do not skimp on those, get what you need.
    An earlier poster was right too, you need to net 1200 calories which means after you factor in exercise. If you do not your body will think you are starving it and you will lose muscle and not fat which is not healthy.
    Good Luck :-)
  • tigeratty
    tigeratty Posts: 75 Member
    A lot depends on how much you weigh now and how tall you are, but unless you are very petite (like 5'0" or around that), it is my opinion that 1200 is way too low for most people. If you aren't losing your body might be in starvation mode. I wouldn't lose on 1200 even though MFP's mathematical calculation says i would.

And if you're exercising, you need more calories or you won't build any muscle.

You might try upping to 1400 or 1500 and see what happens.

Good luck!

Shari
  • again read this

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/173853-an-objective-look-at-eating-exercise-calories

mfp already gives you a deficit when you start out...have you gone and used the tools you are provided with as in bmr, bmi etc....figure out your BMR and that will tell you what your body needs just to stay alive....not any other bodily functions...try not to eat below this number...when you exercise eat some or all of those calories (since you already have a deficit to begin with) so your body does not think it is starving and you don't get lethargic and unable to function properly...
This discussion has been closed.