Walking a mile..

Options
Does anyone know how to calculate calories burned while walking a mile? i can log that i walked for a certain time at a slow, moderate, brisk, etc. pace. Is there a way to log by distance?

Replies

• alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Options
    I think the calorie burn depends upon the amount of effort expended.....therefore the measurements of "slow, brisk, etc". Share if you find anything else. Good luck.
  • daveytrouble
    Options
    if you know how far you went, and how long it took, you can figure the mph. then you can log the amount of time at the speed you found.
    or
    i use the google pedometer. you can find it by googling...um.. pedometer. when you get back from walking use it to map your route. i think it bases everything off of 3 or 3.5mph which is pretty average walking speed. i like it because it has a calorie counter attached that factors for weight and i'm pretty sure it measures the elevation of your route.

good luck dood
  • mfastdriver123
    Options
    I just looked at this site http://walking.about.com/library/cal/uccalc1.htm and it let me calculate by the distance and time it took for me to walk. Thanks everyone :D. Will be picking up a pedometer to keep on me when i go, thanks Daveytrouble..
  • BrotherBob
    Options
    there is aerobics and calories. No matter what speed you walk, you burn the same number of calories (the old physics calculation of mass times distance x resistance = energy. It takes as much energy to walk a mile as to run it. But what is the gain of spending an hour to walk a mile? The advantage is speed you move. The proble m is that MyFitnessPal doesn't make it easy to plug in the numbers. And you have to know the distance in order to enter it. No blocks, no steps, just miles.