I can't afford new cloths, so it's time to lose some weight!

Options
So I just signed up a couple days ago and I already love MFP. I need to lose about 40 lbs - 20 of which I put on when I injured my knee this spring. I was training for a half marathon and tore my meniscus, needless to say I stopped running but didn't stop eating. So I have been cleared by my doctor to start exercising again and but I have been a little reluctant to get started. Luckily I have some great girlfriends in my neighborhood and they have started stopping by a couple times a week for a walk. I have to take it easy getting back into running again, so we are doing 9 minutes of fast walking then a 1 minute run. My friend Cheryl said that it helps to keep the numbers nice and simple so you dont have to think too much. :) Anyways, we are putting in an hour and depending on the night going between 4 and 5 miles. I'm a little sore but it honestly feels good to get up and moving again! I'm looking forward to meeting some new friends on here and getting tips and advice! Thanks! Emily

Replies

• fidgekitty
    Options
    I can't afford new clothes either, but I have plenty of clothes in all the sizes down below to my goal size. Good luck!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Welcome!:flowerforyou:
  • Vanishing_Gordies
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I'm poor and refuse to buy another thing in double digits! Getting ready to workout like a fiend every day and saving up for my new wardrobe in the meantime. Best of luck to you!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    That's great! :happy: I hear ya on not being able to afford new clothes. Losing weight is great at first until you run out of your small clothes and have to buy more! You can look forward to that. :happy: Just reading about your walk/run is making me want to go for one!!! Good luck and welcome.
  • moprincess76
    Options
    I too had a knee injury.. I shredded my ACL and tore my MCL.. Its been slow going due to my injuries and just getting to the point where i can walk for more than 20 minutes at a time.. Keep up with the good work, just remember to LISTEN to your body..
  • mledespot
    Options
    Thanks for the words of encouragement! I really appreciate it!!! I could also use some friends to help keep me honest - if you know what I mean! :wink:
  • Thankilates
    Thankilates Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Yup, me too! My knee blew out on Thanksgiving some 8 years ago and while I was told i would need an operation to walk, here i am... bouncing around, doing workout, but being oh so careful...

I will say that my injury is when my weight gain started. :( I was in a wheelchair for close to 9 months and crutches for 3-4. Every now and then I can still "feel" it and I panic and take it easy. Now days, I just really listen to my body. I worry about what shape my knee will be in when i'm 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90!!!!!

hopefully, I can drop some 40 pounds and take 280 pounds of pressure off of it! I do much better and don't feel it when I'm 130 or lighter... 140 is just so so and at 160, I'm like MY KNEE MY KNEE!!!!

Anyway, off the topic of knees and on to the topic of CLOTHES!!!

My wardrobe DOES not fit me! :( I have a lot of clothes that "fit" me at 145, but are snug. Most of my wardrobe though is 130 because I have been 130 for the past year prior to this weight gain in the last few months. THEN, there is a whole closet full of clothes that fit me at 120! I worked retail for a long time and got good discounts! I have since gotten rid of a lot, but some things are classics and I KNOW i will get into them.

ARGH. we'll get there! We'll get there! :)
  • Thankilates
    Options
    Oh and yes I don't have money for clothes right now. I am unemployed and starting grad school this coming Spring... I hear you!
  • jminette
    jminette Posts: 81
    Options
    same with the clothes! i literally can't wear any of my jeans lol
  • ginique
    ginique Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way with the clothes. I've told myself that I refuse to keep buying clothes to accommodate fat, so now I'm stuck with what I've got until I drop several sizes. New clothes must be earned. :)

Welcome to the forum!
    same with the clothes! i literally can't wear any of my jeans lol

Oh my gosh, same here. It's terrible!
  • lotustrike
    Options
    I agree and when I was losing weight last year, I got rid of everything that was larger...I need them now! I'm doing it this time. Myfitnesspal is really helping me be accountable to myself. I am exploring all of my weight loss options. I'm making exercise a daily activity again. It is great to be around so many others who are doing the work and making the changes. :)
  • Thankilates
    Options
    OMG me too! I got rid of all my clothes! When I was this size some two years ago, i REFUSED to buy more clothes, but finally had to. SO I bought one pair of pants and three shirts or something silly... THEN- I gave them away a year later when I was 130. After all, all the weight loss people say you should since you aren't going to go back... something about the subconscious... I dunno...

They were super flattering, wish I had them now! D'oh!