Personal trainer...?

Options
I hired a personal trainer and initial fee was 300 and it's going to be 160 a month. I feel sick to my stomach now for spending that kind of money. Please if you have any encouraging words please share because I am literally feeling sick now

Replies

• FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    Spending money NOW to get healthy will save you loads of money compared with not getting healthy and when you're older having broken hips, high blood pressure, heart problems, and osteoporosis.
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Some people pay that much JUST for a gym membership so don't feel too down. Also, although you can get results on your own...having a trainer really takes you that next step. You are also more likely to be consistent with your workouts and target exactly what you want to get done. Overall, I understand the price is a lot, but its not like you are paying for nothing. :)
  • loseatonlady
    Options
    I can tell you having a Personal Trainer totally changed everything for me - so much so, that it helped me over major plateau & beyond! I believe so much in it - that I became one! It is a huge investment - just MAKE THE MOST OF IT! Don't regret it!!!
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    If they're just watching you, get a new one. If they are doing at least some with you, great investment.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Jesus I hope I can make that kind of money from one client when I get my certification.

>_<

How many times a month do you get to see them for 160$?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I hired a personal trainer and initial fee was 300 and it's going to be 160 a month. I feel sick to my stomach now for spending that kind of money. Please if you have any encouraging words please share because I am literally feeling sick now
    I've completely changed many a person's life. If they are good and honest and motivating, it will be worth it if you reach goal.
  • awiggins1090
    Options
    Thanks guys! You guys are the best! I get 4 sessions a month and 3 free sessions whenever I need them
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I started dieting in March. From March 9th to May 9th I lost 14 lbs. On May 9th I started working with a trainer and from May 9th to July 9th, I lost 24 lbs. That is almost double the weight for the same time frame. I have now been working out with my trainer for 3.5 months and I have lost 58 lbs total, 44 of them since starting with the trainer. I pay $70 per week to go 3x per week. Is it expensive? Yes. Is it worth every cent? ABSOLUTELY!!! If you feel it is too much or that you are not getting results, then look elsewhere for a trainer, but I hope like me, it will be the best money you have ever spent.
  • awiggins1090
    Options
    Spending money NOW to get healthy will save you loads of money compared with not getting healthy and when you're older having broken hips, high blood pressure, heart problems, and osteoporosis.
  • awiggins1090
    Options
    Well don't know how to reply to quotes yet but your right it is a good thing to ensure my health in the long run
  • beccau_20
    beccau_20 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I pay way more than $160 a month for a PT... and it's worth every penny. Paying now means I won't have to pay later!
  • sunflower19621
    sunflower19621 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had a personal trainer for awhile. it was nice to learn all the exercises until i felt comfortable with myself and could do it on my own, once I did that I didnt need him anymore. You do have to modivate yourself though. Now I work out all the time and I dont need a trainer anymore.
  • awiggins1090
    Options
    I started dieting in March. From March 9th to May 9th I lost 14 lbs. On May 9th I started working with a trainer and from May 9th to July 9th, I lost 24 lbs. That is almost double the weight for the same time frame. I have now been working out with my trainer for 3.5 months and I have lost 58 lbs total, 44 of them since starting with the trainer. I pay $70 per week to go 3x per week. Is it expensive? Yes. Is it worth every cent? ABSOLUTELY!!! If you feel it is too much or that you are not getting results, then look elsewhere for a trainer, but I hope like me, it will be the best money you have ever spent.

Well that makes me feel a lot better! I hope I feel the same way you do after my first training session which is tomorrow
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    it's worth it, it gives you a whole bunch of tools to fill up your toolbox to keep yourself in shape for future.

make sure your PT gives you a different workout every time, so you are learning, not just doing the same thing every week.

I have a PT and she does different things every time i see her, occasionally she'll take me back to the boxing, which i love, but mostly, every session, she has a few new moves up her sleeve for me. So now I have a huge reportoire up my sleeve to choose from when i'm in the gym on my own.

And when you pay all that money, you also feel more obligated to make it work, if you're spending all that money, you better get some results...
  • finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    Options
    I've been working with a trainer since early June and it has been great. He finds so many new and creative ways to kick my butt that I have a whole new appreciation for his ingenuity. Watch out for the innocuous "Oh, that's easy" exercises; they're the ones that will really get you. He also has me doing squats and extra stairs during the day at work to "pop" my metabolism. I'm sure I wouldn't be doing this if I wasn't paying him so much. :)
  • lisafred24
    Options

Well that makes me feel a lot better! I hope I feel the same way you do after my first training session which is tomorrow

I want to add that I am also wearing clothes 2 sizes smaller than what I have worn previously when I was the same weight I am now. That is from the body sculpting that you get with a trainer, not only will it help you lose the weight but to tone at the same time.
  • lisafred24
    Options
    If you look at my pictures, you will see a before and after from my trainer's website. The after picture is at 46 lbs lost.
  • awiggins1090
    Options
    If you look at my pictures, you will see a before and after from my trainer's website. The after picture is at 46 lbs lost.

Wow you have done great! You look good!
  • ewong02
    ewong02 Posts: 22
    Options
    I got a personal trainer this summer and she's great! Involved, encouraging, inventive. Completely different from this other one I had two years ago. I find my fitness is way better now. And I've lost quite a lot of weight as well.It really depends on the trainer for your PT experience to be worth the money.

However, you can't really put a price on your health, right? If personal training is what will get you started on a pathway to a healthier lifestyle, I'd say that it's pretty worth it. This summer, I spent over a thousand bucks for personal training sessions (2 months for 3-4 times a week) :P A birthday present from my mom,

Hopefully, you'll take away a lot from your trainer :D
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I do not have a personal trainer. But, I am a member of the YMCA. Twice I have had a trainer observe what I am doing. They do this occasionally for free. I have to say that it does help to have someone trained to get me back on track. The last time the trainer pointed out mistakes in my form. If you are not doing it right then you will not get good results. So, I say a personal trainer is most certainly worth it.