Hangover Cures?

Options
I'm sure lots of people will say drink less or dont drink at all but Im 21 and do not plan on making that lifestyle change anytime soon. I do fine not eating a bunch of junk when drinking its the day after that get me. I can't seem to eat enough crappy food. Any ideas on a hangover cure that wont hinder my weight loss goals? thx in advance =)

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I would drink a lot of water before bed and when you get up (alcohol will dehydrate you and you'll get that headache - a lot of that is from dehydration). Also, sleep with an open window. It will not only lessen the hangover but your room won't be as smelly in the morning ;)
    One thing I never tried but was told to do was have some pickled sour cabbage (with the juice) - the kind you can get at Eastern European delis.
  • futurefitgirl88
    Options
    eggs and and smoothie! :)
  • tikkamasala
    tikkamasala Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    water REALLY does help prevent hangovers! try to make a point of drinking one glass of water for every 1 (or 2) drinks you have-- it won't reduce your "buzz" or anything and you will feel MUCH better in the morning!

aside from that...coffee and eggs are my best advice (if you can stomach them)
  • Nolynoelia20
    Options
    When I finally do wake up after a night of drinkin, its usually around noon so its perfect for lunch. I eat a wendy's chicken sandwich. I know its bad but its the only thing my body wants.. Greasy food lol
    Good luck finding somethin healthy ;)
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Water and Jamba Juice!!!
  • brianward81
    brianward81 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    This seems to work for me but at the same time I don't drink too heavy so it might not work if you have had a huge night.

- Obviously drink a few glasses of water through the night if possible.
    - When you are about to go to bed, more water, a multivitamin and 1 paracetamol.
    - When you wake, more water and a banana or yoghurt (if your stomach will let you).

I just can't bring myself to drink to the point where the next day is a write off, such a waste of time. And incredibly impossible to cope when there is a 2.5yr old girl running around and a 3 month old boy crying. When I was 21 though, different story...
  • jessicazanebell
    jessicazanebell Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys will be trying all of these out!
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    A big plate of eggs, and drinking good OJ between glasses of water works for me
  • jesc1234
    jesc1234 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Drink a small glass of water (I usually get a mineral/tonic water with lime in a rocks glass so you still feel like you are having a real drink and don't kill the mood with a glass of regular water) between every 2-3 drinks while you are out, and glass of water when you get home. Another glass of water as well as 2 tylenol (or advil) and 2 tums before you go to bed (it keeps you from getting a headache and that gross feeling in your stomach). Then when you get up, if you feel hungover, ALKA-SELTZER, it works on headache, body aches, and upset stomach, it tastes gross but nothing works better. Follow it up with a berry banana smoothie and a chicken salad with oil and vinegar dressing, perfect mix of sugar, fat, and protein, then you have calories left over so you can do it all over again saturday night.
    Good luck!
  • Des92
    Des92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    POWERADE!! Honestly, the stuff is magic. I always keep some on hand when I'll be drinking a lot. I sometimes drink a little at night before going to bed. In the morning I just pop an advil and drink the rest! (there is also a calorie free version, but I think it tastes awful. 1 regular bottle = 140 cals). And water of course. lots of water, before bed and in the morning. And if you have access to a swimming pool, jumping in cold water helps a lot too. I work at a pool, and I often jump in hungover... feels amazing :)

edit: TUMS, or anything that reduces stomach acid, is also a big big help if you get that nauseous feeling.
  • brianward81
    brianward81 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I remember one New Years Eve, my wife and I were hosting a party and I wanted to drink lots but not feel like crap the next day. So in between every single drink I would have a tall glass of water.

I think I had 4 bourbon & cola cans and 4 glasses of water. Now 4 bourbons wasn't a lot for me back then but I think because I was so keen on the next drink I slammed the water as quick as possible to crack open the next drink.

Well... 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, blluuururraaarrggghhh, HAPPY NEW YEAR! My wife was with me in the bathroom, rubbing my back, as I saw the new year in with my head in the toilet. That's what I got for trying to be smart and keep the water up.

Moral of the story, drink water in between your alcoholic drinks but take it easy when you drink it. Too fast and you might end your night abruptly.

Oh to be 21 again...
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    A pint of water + 2 painkillers before bed, then a fried egg sandwich (in a teaspoon of olive oil & wholemeal bread of course!) when you get up!

:drinker:
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Totally unhealthy, but i always make myself throw up before i go to bed, and def drink lots of water afterwards and some mortin or asprin or whatever pain killer you chose.....in the morning eat something like biscuits and milk gravy to sop up the acid(try to not use sausage grease)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others - plenty of water today and eat anything that you can keep down. Time will make it go away as your body gets those toxins out of your system.
    And the idea to alternate alcoholic drinks with soda water is a good one - then you can still have a few drinks, feel good, enjoy the mood but you don't end up with such a hangover - it's cheaper too!
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    After much research into this!! I have discovered tea with two sugars and a jacket potato with cream cheese and some meat cures my need for stodgy food and the sweetened tea gives me that boost I need. I've tried coke, orange juice, lucozade, red bull, coffee. And I tell ya, it ain't a nice combination ha ha!
    I understand the need for stodgy food and I think it's a case of your body requiring nutrients so think of what you really fancy... greasy burger or fry up and make the healthy alternative.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Instant Japanese noodles (ramen), Alka Seltzer, a pint of water and a kill-or-cure run!
  • Booboo78
    Booboo78 Posts: 169
    Options
    Lots of Green Tea usually does the trick - especially the Gen-Maicha variety (brown rice tea)

Also a good old English Breakfast works for me, but making it as healthy as possible: swap the sausages for chipolatas, poach the eggs instead of frying them, grill the bacon, and so on.
  • Lovesparklesandcupcakes
    Options
    I make a citrus smoothy with any citrus fruits I have on hand (oranges, naartjies, grapefruit, etc) with lots of lemon juice and Sprite Zero. Coupled with an egg sandwitch it makes for a satisfying start to a nutrient deprived day.
  • Milziemooxx
    Milziemooxx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Toast and Lemonade always works for me :happy: xx
  • coatsie79
    coatsie79 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I get terrible hangovers after drinking wine or if I mix my drinks and as I get older it takes longer to recover from them. Now, if i'm going on a night out where I know i'm going to drink a lot, I stick to one drink: Barcadi & Diet Coke (staying clear of doubles), because I know it doesn't give me hangovers. I also drink a Resolve before going to bed and another when I get up, just to be on the safe side. After a heavy night out, instead of going for a Morrison's all day breakfast, I now have a wholegrain bacon (fat removed) bagel with brown sauce.