It's harder to get in shape mentally than physically.

Options
Agree? My body has no problem going for a jog, but my brain is like "NO. STAY ON THE COUCH. THERE ARE BETTER THINGS TO DO WITH YOUR TIME" when in reality there aren't. Is it better to waste a half hour on facebook or spend a half hour getting yourself in shape. THE CHOICE IS OBVIOUS. Also, when running, I find that my brain often goes "you need to stop. you're can't do this, you're fat. STOP." And so therefore I stop. But really, that was my brain. My body can do so much more than my brain thinks I am capable of. Today i did a mile and ran the entire time. Something I haven't done in... ever. Just because I kept telling myself I COULD do it.

Replies

• NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Yes, I absolutely agree with this!
  • emd0019
    emd0019 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Yep.... pretty much. You just need to make your brain say "you can do this". Or if it says you can't say "WATCH ME!" :smokin:
  • Capri531
    Capri531 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's mind over matter! Just have to tell yourself you can do it and you will =)
  • rainbowcandy2004
    Options
    I totally agree with you. I just posted on facebook this morning that I wish my brain would stop playing games with me and just tell me to go for a walk and not sit on my butt. Then while walking I have to keep reminding myself to walk at a faster pace as I tend to slow down at times. I guess it is a mental thing that we need to break ourselves from. Keep up the good work and keep on running.
  • jennyfair24
    jennyfair24 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Agree Agree Agree! So many times we let our inner voice dictate what we can and can't do, when in fact we are much stronger, and have much greater endurance than we give our selves credit for. Congratulations on your achievement today! That;s fantastic!
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    I agree with you! Seeing the things I can do now because i've fought my negative thoughts has made me realize the things I've missed out on.
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree more. My mind was my worst enemy tonight - but my body cooperated.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Totally agree, once the mind is in sync everything falls into place.

That was the most important thing I've learned when I quit smoking... it actually isn't hard if your mind is in the right place, it has been almost 6 months and I know today that I will never smoke again.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    If you think about it, energy is a very valuable resource. Animals fight and struggle madly and go long distances to obtain energy (food). It's not something to be wasted on frivolous things like running just for the heck of it.

So, of course your mind is correct, it's still stuck in caveman mentality. That's why fats taste so delicious and why you store excess calories. The body doesn't know where and when it's living.

The point of my story is that it's not your fault. This is how we are programmed. You just have to try and overcome those lazy urges, like eating rice and broccoli instead of fried chicken. We all know which one our body wants....
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    That's awesome & your absolutely right.. sometimes I wish I would think less about doing whats right & just do it!!!