what to do with smoked haddock?

Options
jenfunfur
jenfunfur Posts: 263 Member
my fishmonger gave me a grest deal on some smoked haddock, the problem is i now have 6 large fillets in the freezer & no clue what to do. Any recipe ideas that don't involve dairy? I'm the only one that eats fish in my house so individual portions or something that can be frozen would be ideal, ta x

Replies

• russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Grilled, with mustard, pepper and a squeeze of lemon on top. A poached egg with it is great too!
  • russelljclarke
    Options
    Looks like only you and me like smoked haddock LOL
  • morenita71
    morenita71 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    How about kedgeree ? i normally make kedgeree with smoked trout but am sure originally it's made with smoked haddock.

I would probably make a buttery, fattening fish pie but not suitable if you can't have dairy and are trying to lose weight! ; )
  • russelljclarke
    Options
    LOVE kedgeree, but it has to be with brown rice ideally
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It goes well with potatoes - either individual fish pies, or in a soup (Cullen Skink I think its called? Scottish delicacy!)
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    Options
    It goes well with potatoes - either individual fish pies, or in a soup (Cullen Skink I think its called? Scottish delicacy!)

Cullen skink is gorgeous, but no good if you are not wanting dairy - well not the way I make it anyway:laugh:
    Its lovely in fish pie too, but again that would involve milk for me...sorry, I am no help!
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Finely shred some leek and place in the bottom of a large pan (you need one that has a lid that fits) Add a tsp of butter and a bit of water (enough to stop the leeks sticking you arent making a sauce with the water) cook with the lid on for 5 minutes on a low heat. Stir the leeds and pllace a fillet of haddock on top and put the lid back on. Cook until the fish is done. Sorry i dont knwo the exact time i think it usually takes about 10 minutes.
    The fish makes the leeks a little sticky which is really tasty.

If you are avoiding all dairy then use a bit of olive oil in place of the butter
  • russelljclarke
    Options
    Can you use soya milk in place of the dairy?
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    Options
    The leeks sound lovely - I have made chicken and leeks like that and it was scrummy. Making me want smoked haddock now:smile:
  • XxNatZwagerxX
    Options
    What my mum does is make them into a tartlette:)it's kind of like quiche but hot and alot more tastey:happy: xox
  • jenfunfur
    jenfunfur Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies think i'l try the kedgree or might just bake & serve with colcannon :)
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Freeze small pieces and steam them with chicken broth when you want them.
    This got me through some tough times after major surgery.