Is It Really Necessary?

Options

Replies

• awiggins1090
    Options
    I have something else to add. I agree that at home you shouldn't let your child have everything they want just because they cry or throw a temper tantrum. You shouldn't buy little debbies, cookies, cake, and pudding as an easy daily snack. But I also don't see the problem in letting your child go a little wild at a birthday or on certain holidays. Just like as an adult every once in awhile it's good and for me mentally healthy to go out with the girls and have a couple drinks and eat some wings. We just have to realize that the next morning we have to eat healthy like we did for weeks prior to the outing. I think it's all about balance. For me being strict 100% of the time is unhealthy. For my mental well being at least lol
  • awiggins1090
    Options
    I have something else to add. I agree that at home you shouldn't let your child have everything they want just because they cry or throw a temper tantrum. You shouldn't buy little debbies, cookies, cake, and pudding as an easy daily snack. But I also don't see the problem in letting your child go a little wild at a birthday or on certain holidays. Just like as an adult every once in awhile it's good and for me mentally healthy to go out with the girls and have a couple drinks and eat some wings. We just have to realize that the next morning we have to eat healthy like we did for weeks prior to the outing. I think it's all about balance. For me being strict 100% of the time is unhealthy. For my mental well being at least lol
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    thats totally OTT! being healthy is one thing, but completely depriving yourself is completely different. If i did this, i would just feel like im not living

I was at a friends wedding a few weeks ago, didn't eat the cake or buffet, I ate what I wanted before I went.

I don't feel like I'm not living, and we had a cracking day with good laughs all round.

I used to think 5 pints of beer a night was good living...

The difference is...you're an adult and you made the decision for yourself. You're not a little child who doesnt understand why they cant have cake at the party like all the other children!

So explain it to them then! Explain why you'd rather they didn't eat all the artificial ingredients that are bad for them. Give them the healthiest start in life NOW so that they can make the CHOICE when they are older. Surely thats better than getting them hooked on 'bad' things now, only for them to have to be on a site like this trying to undo the damage you and they have done to their bodies.

Many children have allergies etc which mean they can't eat at parties. It's hard, but at least in this instance it's a CHOICE rather than a medical condition (like myself - celiac) which prevents you from even being allowed to make a choice about eating certain things.

I totally agree. I hear the word "deprive" a lot when it comes to food and I just don't get it. I am no where near how that family is but I wish I could be. It's hard in this society where everything revolves around food. I love baking homemade treats with my kids. They are not deprived because they don't eat the same garbage that their friends eat. I actually think it's sad when I see so many kids at their school with huge bellies. It's not depriving your kids to give them the tools to live a healthy life. If they choose to do something different with their bodies when they are older, that is fine but it's a parent's job to give them the best start possible.
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    I dont think depriving yourself completely is any healthier than overeating. You're just going from one extreme to another. Its not about extremes...its about moderation and BALANCE!

These kids are gonna grow up one day and mommy and daddy cant protect them from cake forever. How are they gonna feel as adults when they have that first taste and realize just what their parents have taken from them? I think they are 100 times more likely to become gluttonous adults because they've been so deeply deprived as children...

Totally disagree with this.

What you consider diprevation is different to what I do obviously.

But regarding them growing up and somehow going against everything they were taught? That doesn't make sense at all.

It's because parents say "a bit of cake won't hurt you" or "mommy is busy tonight so let's go to McDonalds for a treat" that it becomes acceptable.

Just because other kids/everyone else is doing it doesn't make it right.
  • futurekilousky
    Options

While I agree with you, think of this. Why do we feel the need to treat ourselves? To me , it's years of eating whatever I wanted and now while changing my lifestyle, I still occasionally crave the things I used to devour.
    However, if you were raised in an environment where all that junk food and processed stuff was not readily available, would you still feel the need to treat or occasionally go wild? Just a thought
  • MandaLen13
    MandaLen13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I agree completely! Its not only about physical health. Treats are part of a healthy life as well because they make you happy. I'm totally not saying to let your children go hog wild at the dinner table every night and I'm not saying to allow them Mcdonalds or Burger King everyday...and I'm certainly not saying that you should stock your cabinets with junk food....but come on...a piece of cake at a birthday party is not going to hurt your child!
  • MandaLen13
    Options
    But regarding them growing up and somehow going against everything they were taught? That doesn't make sense at all.

Really??? So many children grow up and go totally against what their parents have taught them! and its usually the ones who are raised in these extreme ways that go so extremely to the opposite of how they were raised. It makes perfect sense!
  • MandaLen13
    Options
    and yes I do still believe that completely removing sweets/treats is deprivation. Life is meant to be enjoyed and food is something that most people do enjoy. If you dont have the self control to only allow yourself these treats on occasion then thats a psychological problem that you should deal with outside of your weight loss journey. If you absolutely NEED to go to these extremes then I honestly think you have a problem just as a person who NEEDS to eat all the time does.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds great and kudos to her for doing it on a budget. Admittedly, I'm too lazy to do that but love the idea. Once you get kids used to preservatives and eating out a lot, it's tough to switch things up and go all natural/organic. There's a lot of whining and complaining (and not just from the kids) and that's a PITA to deal with. I give her credit for putting up with that and continuing on...can't fault anyone for trying to do better for themselves and their family.

BTW, thanks for posting the article. I want to check out her blog!

EDIT: I do think making the kids forgo birthday party cake and treats initially is a bit much. If a mom showed up for my kid's party and declared her kid couldn't have any treats because they were "going all natural", I'd do a BAER (privately, of course). Let the kid have a piece of cake and eat well 95% of the time.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I don't see how this is extreme, I'd be more concerned with the fact that 90% of the foods in your kitchen would be unacceptable. My husband would refuse to live like this because he loves pringles and hot tamalies and donuts, but I could do this easily. I haven't bought a can of soup in 5 years, I make all my soups and freeze them for a pinch, I currently have flourless chocolate cupcakes in my freezer for when my son is invited to parties becuase he can't have wheat. Not saying that I don't buy stuff in a box or bag because I don't live my life like this, but I could very easily. I think it's a bit rediculous for them to talk like she slaved in the kitchen for days on end however, that's a normal Sunday in my house. We've been trying to go local on meats, but have found it difficult to get to the market on time.
  • awiggins1090
    Options

While I agree with you, think of this. Why do we feel the need to treat ourselves? To me , it's years of eating whatever I wanted and now while changing my lifestyle, I still occasionally crave the things I used to devour.
    However, if you were raised in an environment where all that junk food and processed stuff was not readily available, would you still feel the need to treat or occasionally go wild? Just a thought

No I don't think that is the reason. I think it's the social experience. I love going out with my boyfriend and friends. I usually get the healthier option if it's just dinner but if we are going out for drinks and a good time then I want to join in. For me it's a social thing
  • zojo78
    zojo78 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I dont think depriving yourself completely is any healthier than overeating. You're just going from one extreme to another. Its not about extremes...its about moderation and BALANCE!

These kids are gonna grow up one day and mommy and daddy cant protect them from cake forever. How are they gonna feel as adults when they have that first taste and realize just what their parents have taken from them? I think they are 100 times more likely to become gluttonous adults because they've been so deeply deprived as children...however, if their parents would take the time to teach them "all things in moderation" then maybe they'd see that cake is an occasional treat and its not going to kill them.

I am not saying that these people have bad intentions. In fact I think we should all strive to better our diet and reduce our intake of processed foods....but I will never tell my child that he/she cant have a piece of cake at a birthday party or candy on Halloween. Thats part of being a kid and I wont take that away from my children.

I agree completely!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    No I don't think that is the reason. I think it's the social experience. I love going out with my boyfriend and friends. I usually get the healthier option if it's just dinner but if we are going out for drinks and a good time then I want to join in. For me it's a social thing

I agree with this to a great extent, for me food and drink is very communal. Strictly eating whatever is prepared in my house means refusing lunch invitations with co-workers, and dinner invitations with friends. I tried this for a while because of our budget and really felt like a social pariah, so I added it back into the budget.
  • 8rules
    8rules Posts: 169
    Options
    I guess I am not seeing how a diet based on real food rather than processed or manipulated food could ever been seen as extreme. Just seems to me this eaten pattern was the prominent way we ate as a species priority to the rise in obesity and heart disease.

In short, it was good enough for great grandpa and everyone before him :) I like it.

Plus, Pollan is a genius.
  • MandaLen13
    Options
    I don't see how this is extreme, I'd be more concerned with the fact that 90% of the foods in your kitchen would be unacceptable. My husband would refuse to live like this because he loves pringles and hot tamalies and donuts, but I could do this easily. I haven't bought a can of soup in 5 years, I make all my soups and freeze them for a pinch, I currently have flourless chocolate cupcakes in my freezer for when my son is invited to parties becuase he can't have wheat. Not saying that I don't buy stuff in a box or bag because I don't live my life like this, but I could very easily. I think it's a bit rediculous for them to talk like she slaved in the kitchen for days on end however, that's a normal Sunday in my house. We've been trying to go local on meats, but have found it difficult to get to the market on time.

I'm not concerned at all that my food is unacceptable to them. I dont stock my pantry with cookies and chips...the only candy in my house is dark chocolate and I dont drink soda or eat fried foods. That being said though I still do not live up to these peoples standard of what healthy is. and I'm totally fine with that. I'm living my life!!! I'm not spending hours in the kitchen away from my family...I'm not obsessing over every little thing that goes in my body. I enjoy my food! I strive to be healthy and happy and I want the same for my family...and I believe we are accomplishing that goal to the fullest.
  • sylouette98
    sylouette98 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love the article...and I don't think they've gone too far by any means. My daughter can't a ton of processed foods for medical reasons...and she's not deprived...we as a family are healthier because of it. Kudos to this family. My kids, because of food allergies, are not able to have things like birthday cake...and they don't mind. It's all in how you raise your kids, IMHO.
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    I have a 12 year old who is in the 20% on her weight for her age, partly because I am pretty healthy with what I allow in her diet, a fruit, a veggie, a starch and a meat at every meal (yeah my mom was OCD and it seems to have rubbed off on me) and partly because he daddy gave her lovely genes. she has a friend who is 12 years old and in the 90% for her age. I tell you, the healthy eating might not be as much fun while we are at the table doing it, or when that cake calls your name, but you know what is less fun? When they get to their first day of Jr Hight today and the kids make fun of her friend, or they have to run for gym and she can't make it around the track. We need to be less worried about how happy food makes our kids, finding happiness in a slice of cake is what gets people in trouble in the long run. And we need to be more worried about raising a generation that makes sites like this obsolete. Don't get me wrong, a piece of cake is not a big deal, but a life style of cake is. Also she pointed out in the article that that was during the 100 day challenge and now she is letting them have one treat a week. She never said, "and thus going forward, never will a white sugar delight touch these lips" . I love this idea, and wish that an army income would let me do it.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    This is a very tough topic to discuss.
    I am not at all opposed to processed food(especially preservatives).

I think it is extremely elitist to limit yourself to organic products because as a people we just simply can't feed a planet of 7 billion people without pesticides or chemical fertilizer.(remember plagues of locusts, etc....)

That said, there is nothing as nice as a home cooked meal.
    If these people have the time, then fine.

But let the kid have a birthday cake for God's sake.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options

I'm not concerned at all that my food is unacceptable to them. I dont stock my pantry with cookies and chips...the only candy in my house is dark chocolate and I dont drink soda or eat fried foods. That being said though I still do not live up to these peoples standard of what healthy is. and I'm totally fine with that. I'm living my life!!! I'm not spending hours in the kitchen away from my family...I'm not obsessing over every little thing that goes in my body. I enjoy my food! I strive to be healthy and happy and I want the same for my family...and I believe we are accomplishing that goal to the fullest.

Yes, but they're not judging you and your lifestyle they're just talking about their own, and you seem to be taking their decision a little personally. They're living their life by their terms. It was a personal challenge for them for a period of time that turned into their acceptible lifestyle. When their children get old enough to make their own decisions they will, and they'll be educated enough in whole foods and the ease in preparing food to have a full arsenal in their tool box for making wise decisions. The only thing that I don't agree with is complete omission over substitution. When you send your child to a birthday party and you know there's going to be things that they can't eat you should substitute a suitable replacement, there are always suitable replacements.
  • jbdowns35
    jbdowns35 Posts: 352
    Options
    For those of you that think this family is extreme, do yourself a favor & watch the documentary 'Food Inc'. It can be a little disturbing & you might want to watch first & then decide if it's ok to let your family watch. My kids have all seen it & I think they got a good education from it. My daughter took it to school & her teacher played it for her class & several others. Educate yourselves on what goes on in the world with our food & see what you are really eating. I don't go to the extremes of organic, only because I can't afford it, but I do stick mainly to unprocessed foods. I grow veggies in my garden & buy from farmer's markets. I've raised 3 kids on good whoesome foods, but I never told them they couldn't have cake at a birthday party. I just never filled my cubbords with junk. All of my kids like treats, but I've seen all of them pick salad over cookies, & they love to pick & eat sugar snap peas off the vine in my garden. They're like candy to them. The reason kids go for junk over good food is because that's what they are used to, that's what we give them. Raise them on good food & you'd be surprised how much they'll like it. As parents, our children's health is our main priority, why would we not give them healthy food? Hello? have you seen the kids of America today?