Is binge eating disorder something you can beat yourself?

Options
2»

Replies

• auntie_missy
    auntie_missy Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I think some people can, but most people need some kind of help. When you're combining trying to tackle a psychological issue (why you overeat) with trying to tackle health issues (weight loss) and behavior issues (years of ingrained habits), it can be too much for one person. If you want change, and you need change, you deserve to arm yourself with the tools that will help you be successful.

Quick question - I noticed you have your daily goal at 2000 calories. I'm really curious as to why. My guess is that the number MFP suggests is higher. For most people, they can't be successful if they try to change too much too fast. It's better to start with small, manageable goals, like sticking to your recommended calorie goal, getting in your recommended water, taking two walks a week, changing one bad habit like having fast food no more than once a week or cutting back on soda, etc. The idea is to choose minigoals that you are 90% sure you can meet - enough so that it's a challenge, but that you know you can be successful.
  • Mel36Run
    Mel36Run Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Your eating disorder will not be cured over night. You have to take one day at a time. At first you may only get through one meal without binging. Every little step counts though. There are free help groups online and in local communities. If you would like I will send you a link for a group that helped me. You have already made a big step by recognizing you have a problem with food. Hope you have a healthy and successful day!
  • ohamberx0
    ohamberx0 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Looking at your food diary, I'm assuming you definitely felt a lot of guilt after eating that breakfast? You made better choices for lunch and snacks.

Is it because you saw the numbers of what you were putting in your body? Have you tried sitting down one day, thinking of things you enjoy eating.. looking up healthier alternatives and PLANNING your meals/snacks/etc. With a 2,000 calorie diet, there's quite a bit of food that you can consume and play around with!

If treatment is an option, I would try that as well. Binge eating is an eating disorder. I would definitely try pre-planning your meals.. taking baby steps. Try binging on something lower in calories or healthier? You obviously seem to be an outgoing person (assuming that you like to ride)... you really were only given one body, and only you control what you put into it.

Good luck..
  • NCmcMan
    NCmcMan Posts: 36
    Options
    I have read all of your posts, and thank you so much for the inspirational comments and suggestions. It's good to know that I am not alone with this struggle. Now that I think about it, I have been dealing with this stuff now for my whole life, but when I was a kid, I wasn't allowed to eat like I do now, so I never was real big. I guess when nobody is there to tell you "NO" You can run into problems. Anyway, thank you all very much for helping me get through these times that I have. Talk to all of you soon :)

Josh
  • ohamberx0
    ohamberx0 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have read all of your posts, and thank you so much for the inspirational comments and suggestions. It's good to know that I am not alone with this struggle. Now that I think about it, I have been dealing with this stuff now for my whole life, but when I was a kid, I wasn't allowed to eat like I do now, so I never was real big. I guess when nobody is there to tell you "NO" You can run into problems. Anyway, thank you all very much for helping me get through these times that I have. Talk to all of you soon :)

Josh

Once you begin to tell yourself no (and trust me.. I binge after I binge just cause i feel like I already binged so what does more bringing matter.) Atleast you know to tell yourself no, even if you're not there yet.