GAINED 1.5 lbs!!!! HELP!!!

Options
GG70
GG70 Posts: 232 Member
GETTING DISCOURAGED!! GAINED 1.5 lbs!!!!! PLEASE PLEASE LOOK AT MY FOOD AND EXERCISE DIARY AND TELL ME WHAT I AM DOING WRONG!!! TOTALLY FREAKING OUT IN MY HEAD... A DOOZY FOR MY CONFIDENCE LEVEL RIGHT NOW!! HELP!

Replies

• fish119
    fish119 Posts: 67
    Options
    You could be gaining muscle...muscle weighs more than fat. Don't let it discourage you, just keep going....I know you can do it!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Or you could be retaining water, how much do you usually drink?
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    You could be gaining muscle...muscle weighs more than fat. Don't let it discourage you, just keep going....I know you can do it!

You could be gaining muscle, but it doesn't weigh any more than fat. A pound is a universal measurement, therefore a pound of muscle is the same weight as a pound of fat. Muscle is leaner and takes up less space that fat. Have you taken your measurements to see if you're losing inches? That's a better indicator of weight loss than just the basic number on the scale.

You also have a pretty high sodium intake (2,500mg is maximum, but 1,500mg is ideal), so you may be retaining a lot of water. Try drinking extra water to flush the excess sodium out of your system.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Did you gain from like yesterday to today? Or do you weigh in weekly? If it's an "overnight" gain, it's likely some form of water weight or bloating.

Are you premenstrual? You can retain as much as 5 lbs of water as your period approaches.

I'm looking at your diary and ,to me, it appears as though you are not eating enough. 1200+ exercise cals is the MINIMUM you should be getting, You've been quite low for quite a while but then you have 1 day this week where you go over (very healthily) and so your body may not know what to do with those extra cals. I would recommend slowly increasing your daily calorie goal to about 1500-1600 cals and then dropping your goal to 1300 calories.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Water, TOM, and muscle...these ALL make me gain! :(
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Probably a combination of undereating, high sodium, PMS and general water retention.

1.5 lbs is not very much - wait a few months and see how it averages out.
  • wvfrog22
    wvfrog22 Posts: 44
    Options
    Maybe try eating more of your calories. You seem to be hovering around eating 1200 or so but you're gaining alot from exercise. Also, you could try to cut some sodium. Best of luck to you and please let us know what works for you.
  • GG70
    Options
    LET ME SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT: Just finished my TOM LAST WEEK!!.. I am a water drinker only.. I drink AT LEAST 64 oz daily! I eat mainly whole foods (barely any processed), I exercise 5-6 days/ week.. I am not using weights.. mainly elliptical..

PLEASE .. anyone who is really really knowledgeable in this area.. PLEASE RESPOND! PLEASE look at my diary.. I can take the truth.. I am all over this regimen.. and have not seen much results!! ANYONE ELSE WOULD HAVE LOST LOTS OF FAT BY NOW!!! It takes 3500 calories EXTRA to GAIN 1 lb!!! I AM ALWAYS UNDER MY CALORIES GOAL.. WITH 1 or 2 exceptions.. BUT EVEN THAT WASN't A lot!!!

I gained within 2 days!!!!

I feel frozen in my tracks!! I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO TODAY, WHAT TO EAT... etc..
  • GG70
    Options
    Muscle is leaner and takes up less space that fat. Have you taken your measurements to see if you're losing inches? That's a better indicator of weight loss than just the basic number on the scale.

You also have a pretty high sodium intake (2,500mg is maximum, but 1,500mg is ideal), so you may be retaining a lot of water. Try drinking extra water to flush the excess sodium out of your system.
    [/quote]

BARELY LOST INCHES!! MEAURE MYSELF TOO! THIGHS.. HAVE NOT LOST ANYTHING IN 11 WEEKS!!! BELLY ONLY 2 inches!! I WILL DRINK MORE WATER AND WATCH MY SODIUM.. THANKS !!! : )
  • ballgood
    ballgood Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am with you on the gain, had only lost 3.3 lb and gained this week 2lb. My mfp buddies have been a great support and looked through my diaries.
    I am not drinking enough and I am working out loads. I have toned and I am way fitter.
    I have been really down this week, but I live to diet another week and I know historically I am a slow loser.

Keep going

Beth
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If you gained 1.5 lbs over the course of 2 days, it is water weight. For it to be fat, you would have had to eat in excess of 5000 extra calories over a few days. Take a deep breath and go to weighing 1x a week. Your body will retain water w/exercise to assist in repair of your muscles and depending on how your body reacts to the exercise you did that day, it will retain water and can hold on to it for weeks.
    Things to help, decrease sodium intake. Your body can tolerate 2 gm of sodium easily every day(lots of people on this site will tell you differently, I was a heart failure nurse for many years, you will be fine on 4000 mg of sodium if you are healthy). Eat a little watermelon, natural diuretic. Just give it time, your body will change. Good luck!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?

And I think eating more might help. You're eating the bare minimum of 1200 (and there are a few days where you're not even doing that!) Eat at 1500 (and that includes eating your exercise calories!) and see how it happens.

But 1.5lb in two days? It's water weight. Nothing to worry about.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, you're consistently undereating. You're doing more than 500 cal of exercise each day, and eating 1200 or less most days. At your weight, this is generally something people can't get away with. Eat a little more, dip into your exercise calories a bit, and see how you get on.

(Can I also suggest losing the shouty capitals?)
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I agree with its water weight. I think you should pick 1 day a week to WI at the same time. Also do your measurements once every 2 or 4 weeks . This will give you a more accurate evaluation on your weight loss or gain.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Stress can keep you from losing weight too. I wouldn't stress at all over 1.5 lbs in 2 days. Our weight constantly fluctuates day to day. It's absolutely nothing to worry about. From the looks of your diary, you're eating good foods. Just make sure you hit your calories every day. I saw a few days that were very low, unless your diary was incomplete for those days.
    Try switching your exercise up as well. Don't get stuck doing the same things for long periods of time. Your body gets used to things and stops responding to them. Try some weights and/or different types of cardio.

You'll be fine. Don't get discouraged about this. It has happened to me on occasion also.
  • GG70
    Options
    How tall are you?

And I think eating more might help. You're eating the bare minimum of 1200 (and there are a few days where you're not even doing that!) Eat at 1500 (and that includes eating your exercise calories!) and see how it happens.

But 1.5lb in two days? It's water weight. Nothing to worry about.

I am 5' 6"
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I'm with the water weight camp. The scale will probably go down again within a few days.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    First of all. Take the caps lock off. Breathe. Next breathe a little more. Ok, now that we have calm ourselves, :flowerforyou: don't forget that our weight fluctuates everyday/at different times. This can be water weight/ poop/ anything!

One example, yesterday morning I weighed myself and I weighed 166.8lbs this morning I weighed myself again and I weighed 169lbs! But TOM is around the corner, I feel a little bloated and I haven't pooped since yesterday afternoon. I weigh myself everyday so I can see the fluctuations instead of weighing in once a week and freaking out with a 3lb gain.

So weigh yourself again tomorrow morning or this afternoon and just notice how your weight is fluctuating.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Almost impossible to do on calorie deficit. You need a surplus to do it.
  • GG70
    Options
    Why do people get so bent when you use capital letters? they are just letters.. nothing personal, girls..