Does drinking water really help?

Options
Okay, a bit naive to dieting, so bear with me.

I drink about 1/2 glasses of water a day, if I drink more.....could I really lose more weight?

I am a salt addict! I have WAY more than I should, but I never add it in separately.

Replies

• EMc4452
    EMc4452 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Your body needs water...especially if you are a salt addict. Try drinking 8 glasses a day for a week and see how you feel. Thats the best way for you to find out if it works or not.
  • thebre1
    thebre1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Water is extremely important for your body to function properly, and it absolutely does help with weight loss. Drinking the recommended 8 glasses of water a day can help curb hunger, flush out your system and is beneficial for skin, hair and organ function. Keeping hydrated always leaves me more energetic, your body works better when it is treated right.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    YOU NEED TO DRINK A LOT MORE WATER!!! not only is your body very dehydrated (you probably dont even realize!) but it can really help you with cravings, eating less calories during mealtimes, and can do wonders for your lips, making them look fuller. also, cut back on that sodium, if you can!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    It will definitly help. But most importantly, you'll FEEL better.

I've just switched from drinking 4-5L a day of diet soda to 2-3L of water. And the difference is amazing. (well besides my migrane this week. HATE THEM) I feel 1000 times better.
  • nskerr
    nskerr Posts: 91
    Options
    My experience has been it does help. I love salt as well and drinking a lot of water cleans you out. Also "filling up" on water decreases your appetite. Finally if you exercise it help from getting dehydrated. I used to cramp up very easily even before I dieted and exercised. Now very rarely. I really try to drink 8 a day. 4 bottles of water = 8 glasses. If you can get a bottle and fill it 4 times during the day, you will be good.
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    nah, no big deal. don't drink any. see how that feels.
  • princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Yes, YES!!! Water is vitally important.

I was once challenged to drink 100 ounces of water/day. I was so overwhelmed, but I took it in baby steps. And I actually learned to crave the water and got up to 160 ounces/day. Now, each body responds differently.... but I noticed a HUGE difference with my weight loss progress once I crossed the 120 ounces/day mark.

Heck... I had kinda gotten off the bandwagon for the last six weeks, only drinking 80 ounces/day. These last 2 weeks, I bumped it back up to at least 140 ounces/day, and I have seen TREMENDOUS progress on the scale (finally losing 4 pounds... vs. nothing at all the 6 weeks prior). So yes... water is important.

And ESPECIALLY if you're a salt addict!! Gotta flush that salt through the system or else you'll just be retaining water weight.
  • fadeedaf
    Options
    You need to be drinking about a gallon of water a day. If you are weight training you definitely need to be drinking water to help recover your muscles. Water with dieting helps you feel fuller in between meals. Salt is a horrible thing to be eating while you are dieting. If you need to have some kind of salt, use Ms. Dash. Basically nothing in that.
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    it does it does it does it helped balance your weight as well. I dont know the science behind it but when i started drinking my water my weight stablize perfectly. so i believe in the power of WATER:happy:
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP, I drank on a good day 5 to 6 glasses of water...I slowly upped to 10-12 and lost weight a little faster, felt a LOT better(becuase I was finally correctly hydrated), and my skin got better! :) Water ROCKS
  • tambink
    tambink Posts: 349
    Options
    Water is the KEY you need to drink at least 8 glasses a day and more if you can and try to lay off the salt if possible. Drinking water has helped me alot :happy:
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    YES! Drink at least 8 eight ounce glasses a day, you will definitley notice a difference especially in how you feel.
    Drink up!
    :drinker:
  • ms1978
    ms1978 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Much like storing fat when you don't eat enough, your body will retain water when it doesn't have enough causing you to feel bloated and your hands, legs and feet to swell. I find that drinking at least the 8ozs. of water each day makes me less hungry. Water is good for your skin and I feel GREAT!! Try it..you'll see =)
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Oh god yes it helps! Helps tremendously, in more ways than 1! I suggest you try the water challenge that was going on. It is to drink half of your weight (in OZ of course).
  • AimingHighWeighingLow
    Options
    Wow, okay.....I will make a deal today to drink 8 glasses of water and see where I am in a week. I have very dry skin (although not flakey) and a very flakey scalp, is this because I do not drink enough then?
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Are you ****ting me?
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Wow, okay.....I will make a deal today to drink 8 glasses of water and see where I am in a week. I have very dry skin (although not flakey) and a very flakey scalp, is this because I do not drink enough then?

It could be related, I've definitely noticed a difference in my skin & hair since I started being more disciplined with drinking water.
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes!

The very first thing I did when I started looking to lose weight was increase my water intake. Doing absolutely nothing else with my diet, I lost 5 pounds in my first week. I went from about 1 or 2 glasses a day (if that) to 5 litres (20 glasses) a day.

There's no such thing as too much water (well... there is, but it's at about 15 litres a day so most normal people will never get there).

Thrash it down a litre at a time, sip constantly all day long, it's all good. Just get it in! :)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Controversial this, but you can get the water you need from anything you drink - juice, tea, coffee, soda, soup, you name it!

The only exception is alcohol which is diuretic.
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options

Dunno if it's related but I have alopecia so all the hair on my head grows through patchy. It's really started to come back a lot in the 4 or 5 months since I started eating well and drinking water...