Plantar Fasciitis- Anyone else in the same situation

Options
Hello Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone else on here has a condition called Plantar Fasciitis. It's pretty much a heel pain!! I've developped this in the last year and it totally sucks!! I got an insole for my sneakers when I go to the gym but it still really hurts! Just wondering if there is anyone else out there that has stretching exercices they do that helps or any other types of home remedies that could help me with this. It's worst right when i wake up in the morning or the following hours after a workout. My podiatrist has told me I should reduce my intense workout but that's not an option. i have weight to loose and i'm not gonna let this stop me.. i just want to know what are things I can do to alleviate the heel pain a little!!

Thanks

Christine

Replies

• NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Roll your foot over a golf ball to stretch it.
  • dtvick548
    Options
    I use to have it to. The 2 things I found to work the best was stretching (physical therapist gave me some exercises) and losing weight. One of the stretches I did was to put my toes on a step and push my heels down. Another one was to sit on the floor with my legs straight out and put a towel around the balls of my feet and pull towards me. Both stretches would hurt while doing it but then would feel better.
  • shaverkl191
    Options
    If you search Plantar Fasciitis on YouTube there are some great videos with demonstrations of stretches. You could also try putting ice on it for 10 minutes when it's really sore. Hope that helps!
  • LovelySpirit
    Options
    I use to have it to. The 2 things I found to work the best was stretching (physical therapist gave me some exercises) and losing weight. One of the stretches I did was to put my toes on a step and push my heels down. Another one was to sit on the floor with my legs straight out and put a towel around the balls of my feet and pull towards me. Both stretches would hurt while doing it but then would feel better.

worked for me too... My podiatrist recommended the same exercises ... they work! Also the gel insoles that are extra cushiony!

Keep rocking your workouts, but be sure to pay attention to your body's alarms, I'm sure you know that already.. but don't get skinny and end up on the couch w/ a cast :wink:
  • aliciarenee79
    aliciarenee79 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I froze a water bottle and roll it under my foot after exercise. The stretch where you are standing in front of a wall and leaning forward has helped me the most. I don't know how to explain in properly so maybe you can google it.
  • kimbux
    kimbux Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm there right now.... I've had it since March and just decided to go to the Dr. last week. She gave me a prescription for DICLOFENAC... it's an anti-inflammatory. Believe it or not, I took 3 doses and my pain was GONE. I still have some stiffness in the morning but nothing like it was from March to August 18. She didn't tell me to reduce my exercise...

The other thing that's helped is ice... freeze a bottle of water - roll it under your foot right after you exercise….. that definitely helped.

GOOD LUCK!
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I had it for over a year. I got it from running in regular running shoes. I switched to Vibrams and it worked itself out. I also did and still do, a lot of stretching for that area. You can find stretches and exercises for it on Youtube.
  • elliedunham
    elliedunham Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had that last year and it was terrible. I did a couple of things to help, and it eventually subsided. First, regular icing of the afflicted foot. You can freeze water in a plastic water bottle (allowing room for the ice to expand!) and roll it on your foot. Second, massage. You can do this yourself, and although it hurts terribly while you're doing it, over time it will help stretch the fascia and relieve your pain. Really get in there and dig in. Third, new/different shoes. I play a lot of tennis, and switched brands of shoe, which was when the problem started. I purchased some New Balance shoes, which are a little stiffer and have more support than my old Prince ones, and also bought sports inserts/orthotics (from Sports Authority) and that helped tremendously. Recently, I put on the old shoes for just one match and my one foot was already hurting by the time the match was over! Those old shoes are going in the rubbish bin!

Good luck with it.
  • coderchris
    coderchris Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I looked this up on the internet to see how I could treat this at home also. This is what I did: 1] found some really good shoes that have a lot of cushion in them. 2] put the Dr Scholls insoles in them. 3]found some good stretches and exercises to help stretch out my foot. I still have some pain but not at much as before. I totally understand how you feel, my doctor told me that I needed to do water aerobics or swim. Swimming is not an option since I have an old shoulder injury. I have lost 55 lbs and hope to lose the rest with using the above techniques to keep the pain away. Good luck with your weight loss!
  • lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I have had Plantar Fasciitis for the last three years..so bad I could not walk in the morining, more like a hobble. I did everything to make it go away untill I finally decided to invest in a pair of "good" shoes. I bought a pair of Asics (very recommend on this site, along with a few others) and the very next day I could walk when getting up in the morning! I have not had any pain or problems since I bought the shoes and I even jog/run in them! It is amazing. So if you have "cheap" shoes like I did, maybe you want to invest in a better pair. I just found a pair of Asics clearenced at JCPenny's for $40.00...score!:bigsmile:
  • ashtonal
    Options
    I've had this for years! What has helped me is rarely going barefoot/sockfoot. I have a pair of Croc flipflops with arch support that I wear all the time in the house. All my shoes are decent quality and have arch support. I also invested in good sneakers for the gym and running. I did wear custom insoles for years but since buying proper sneakers I haven't had to wear them. The other thing that helped was losing weight. I guess less stress on the foot :)

Good luck ... hope you can finds ways to cope like I have.
  • fyfi_fendir
    fyfi_fendir Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    what insole did you get? Did you get padded type or a very hard plastic one?
    Several things you can do.
    -One get a good pair of snickers with good arc support. ASICS are the best.
    -Two get an orthopedic insole. the one that are hard. Feels uncomfortable at first but this was the best buy I have made!
    - As a previous person suggested roll your foot on golf ball (great massage) and try to grab the ball with your foot (it helps building the muscles in the foot)
    -Last stretch your back (Cobra position). It sounds strange but a lot of knee, feet problem come from lower back issue.

good luck
  • tmontgomery69
    Options
    I suffered with it quite some time ago and a physical therapist told me to fill a water bottle half way up and freeze it. Once frozen use it to roll the arch of your foot on to stretch it out and the ice brings the inflammation down as well......it's a two for one exercise. Stretching your calves will help tremendously as well. Foam rollers work really good for stretching your calves and other muscles for that matter. Strengthening the muscles in your feet/ankles/calves using a Bosu works REALLY well too! Good luck I hope that it heals soon. :)
  • 1965blaze
    Options
    Hello Christine!
    yes i have had Plantar Fascaitis and had the shots in my foot
    the best thing to do is lose weight i did and it went away,
    2nd thing is to get some new balance cross trainer shoes
    it gives awesome support and helps in your workouts
    and 3rd tape up your foot with some of that tape you can get it at
    walmart its that wrap that you see when people wrap horse legs i cant remember
    the name of it but it comes in a roll.
    hope it helps good luck
    xo Julie
  • anvy0530
    anvy0530 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I worked out through plantar fasciitis for about a year and a half. I ended up developing a heel spur and just had surgery to remove it and loosen my fascia about 4 weeks ago. I would highly recommend that if your doctor tells you to reduce the intensity of your workouts, you should listen. I did not and it ended up with surgery. Do the stretches, ice your feet, wear the insoles and reduce your intensity (that isn't to say stop working out entirely - you can still lose weight at a reduced intensity) or you could end up like me - barely able to walk 4 weeks post-surgery.
  • jamesdelong
    jamesdelong Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm suffering from it now - but I'm back to 90% recovered. I took the last two weeks off from working out or running.
    Got myself a night splint (from the drug store, well worth it) and while I am relaxing on the couch I will get a frozen water bottle from the freezer and roll my foot on it for a while, then wrap it up with that iced bottle and elevate it on the foot stool for a bit.

Through out the day and before bed I was rubbing tiger balm (icy hot type stuff) on and then used an ace wrap ankle support to wear for the compression.

I worked out hard last night and feel a little sore this morning but made sure to stretch it before I got out of bed this morning with a towel (The night splint is awesome so pain wasnt that bad)

Just take the advice I received.
    R.I.C.E.
    Rest
    Ice
    Compress
    Elevate

Mostly just lay off of it for a week or two.. That was hard for me to do b/c I wanted to work out so bad. I went to the pool and ran in the water instead. Knee lifts and kick butts. Easy on my heel since not that much weight was being pounded on it.

Hope you recover soon!
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I get it off and on with seemingly no consisitency. It sucks! MIne 'seems' to be related to overdoing it with running, an extreme heel scrub pedicure and flip flops (which I live in).
    I started to roll my foot over a tennis ball for a couple of minutes at a time and its been about a month since I have had any pain. I would totally listen to your doctor!
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I had trouble with plantar fasciitis until it suddenly disappeared last year. I changed my shoes, added supportive inserts (which did help a little), etc. My physical therapist told me to freeze a coke bottle full of water - the shape of the bottle was perfect, she said. I would roll my foot on it a couple of times a day. I took anti-inflammatories. Not much helped and it suddenly went away with no change in my routine. I hope you start to feel better.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I had it, until I recently lost 18 pounds.

First, don't be discouraged by the pain. It does not take a big weight loss to feel much better. My pain completely disappeared after I dropped 15 pounds. As for treating the pain, follow the advice of your podiatrist but I can tell you what helped me.

1. ALWAYS wear shoes. I kept crocs by my bedside for nighttime bathroom trips. The ONLY time I went without shoes was in the shower. Avoid flip flops, they tighten the plantar fascia and make things worse in the long run.

2. wear a night splint. I see they sell them on Amazon and drugstores now. Read some reviews and pick one. Back when I got mine, I had to order through an orthopedic surgeon and it was expensive and massive. Now, the splints are smaller, easier to sleep with. A night splint makes a huge difference, esp in your AM pain.

3. Before you stand, after sitting for a while, do plantar fascia stretching exercises...look them up, they're all over the web.

4. After you've been walking, or on your feet for a while, ice the fascia. I found a frozen water bottle works best for this.

Good luck and keep up the good work!

EDIT: BTW, it's an inflammatory process and it will burn itself out but I had my last round of PF for about 3 years, so it can take a while. Plus, like I mentioned, losing weight was a tremendous help.