Need some help!!

Options
I have been working out consistently for about 10 weeks, I am doing this one step at a time, workouts were first. Now for about 3 weeks I have been watching what I eat. (recently started myfitnesspal....love it) I cannot drop any weight. I have been to the Dr had my thyroid checked, my insulin, I just don't get it. I have a personal trainer 2x a week I have talked to him, he says even if I didn't change my eating habits, I should've easily lost 15 lbs by now. I don't know what else to do!! I am considering seeing an endocrinologist, what do people think or should I just keep up the work and see where I go?? Please give feed back!!

Replies

• MemphisMarly
    Options
    Are you losing inches?

Is the weight maintenance caused because you've gained a significant amount of muscle / increased appetite while eating unhealthy foods?

Did your doctor think you needed to see an endocrinologist?
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    If you are diabetic you really need to see an endo anyway.

As for the other question it is difficult to say what may be the problem without knowing what your exercise routine is and seeing your diary. I should point out that if you only started watching what you eat 3 weeks ago that all of your exercise prior to that time may have just kept you on an even keel- i.e. if your normal cal intake plus exercise intake equaled whatever you were eating for cals then you stayed neutral.

As it stands now there is too little info to really say why you are not losing weight other then what you are eating my have too many calories in it and again your exercise is simply keeping you neutral. I mean if you are eating massive carbs it will be hard to lose weight.

Oh and for exercise I assume you are doing cardio vs strength training? Cardio burns your cals.
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Just a thought....how many calories are you allowing yourself?
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest myths around is that it's a simple matter of "calories in vs. calories out," and if you eat fewer calories than you burn you'll lose weight. That's true for many people, but NOT for everyone, as you've discovered.

Our metabolisms are very complex, and everyone's is different. And not all calories are equal. All calories give you energy; but the chemical process that burns a carbohydrate for energy is very different from the chemical process that burns protein or fat for energy. And your particular body may be more efficient at processing one type of energy than another. If that's the case, then what you need to do is adjust the *kinds* of foods you eat, not just the amount.

For example: I spent my entire adult life steadily gaining weight, even though I exercised and "ate right" and worked very hard. It was incredibly frustrating. Then I finally met a doctor who did a metabolism test and discovered that my body does not process carbohydrates very well. He had me adjust my diet so that I'm getting my calories from 5% carbs, 30% fat and 65% protein. And suddenly, without changing anything else in my life (activity levels etc.), in four months I'd lost 30 lbs. And I feel better and more energized, too. It's amazing.

So if I were you, even if you don't have a doctor test you, you can try adjusting the levels a little bit at a time on your own. I'd recommend lowering your carb percentage (which MFP has set rather high) and increasing your protein percentage, and see whether that seems to help.

Good luck!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I can see why you must be frustrated. Kudos to you for still sticking with it. I hope you are at least feeling a bit better and fitter. I am assuming your personal trainer should know what he is talking about so maybe there is something more to it. That being said though; you didn't mention wether you have lost inches or dropped any sizes on your clothes.

The one thing I have read many times on this website is the main reasons people don't lose weight is their stats are wrong. They either have thier lifestile set wrong, they are underestimating calories eating or overestimating exercise calories burned. I would recommend #1 double check all you settings. #2 getting a heart rate monitor so you have an accurate calorie burn count. Keep in mind the less weight you have to lose the less room for error you have. You didn't give any stats as to height, weight or BMI. The other thing to consider is if you have been constantly yo yo dieting and you were going through some crash diets, your body may be resistent to losing weight because of past abuse. Hang in there and keep doing it the healthy way. The numbers will follow.

Best wishes.