turning down free food is sooo hard

Options
I just did the hardest thing ever.... I turned down a muffin that looked so fluffy mouth watering delicious. I'm so glad I looked up the nutrition value first and this is what it showed
cal-690 carb-79 fat-38 sugar-48
and I just gave it away like it was trash.. it almost made me cry... oh god how I wanted that muffin

Replies

• emilyc92
    emilyc92 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Yay! Good for you!!! I know, it's so hard when that happens. What I do is I try to convince myself that I'm grossed out by the muffin (or whatever free food is being offered). Like I'll tell myself in my head, where has that muffin been? It's probably been in a million people's hands! It probably has germs all over it!
    I know that these things are probably not true, but it really works to get me to avoid grabbing the food and gobbling it down!
  • omg_wtf
    omg_wtf Posts: 4
    Options
    Danielle, it actually IS trash. You just threw away trash. Good for you! You want that muffin.. but you also want those skinny jeans. ;-) Oh, yeah, and health, too.
  • Init_to_winit
    Init_to_winit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I know EXACTLY how you feel!! Every time we have catered food here or donuts or pizza I just can't help but eat it! Good for you for resisting! That's awesome! May seem like a small feat but it's a really big one in my eyes!
  • sazino
    sazino Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    GREAT JOB! You give me hope. Boss is taking us out for Chinese Buffet for lunch, and I have been giving myself a 'make healthy choices' pep talk all morning.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Call that a victory!

I'm right there with ya... having been a poor college student, and later having been unemployed, and living on peanut butter sandwiches and ramen noodles, I totally understand. Rule #1 of survival / making the budget stretch is NEVER TURN DOWN FREE FOOD, right? But I had to train myself out of that, too. Food that will just end up hurting you is not worth it. Just focus on your goal, and know that in the long run, it will be totally worth the sacrifice.
  • candb
    candb Posts: 238
    Options
    Free food is the hardest part of my job. Someone is always bringing in cookies, candy, bars, or ordering pizza. Right now I'm on maternity leave so temptation is limited to my oldest son's animal crackers.

I try and tell myself that yes I want to eat ______, but I want to be fit and healthy more. If I really can't control it I'll get up and walk the stairs for a bit.
  • ACook42
    ACook42 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Your butt will thank you for it later...LOL
    You did good, NO MUFFIN is worth 690 calories...try the Vita Tops for 100 calories if you must have your sweets, even a candy bar would be better for half the calories.

You gave yourself the power today....BE PROUD!!!
  • PhiMuHoney
    PhiMuHoney Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    What I love about MFP is it has helped me rewire my brain when food is offered... I now look at that donut or muffin or piece of pizza and think "I can eat that now and not have homemade dessert later (which is lower calorie and yummier) or I can save my "special treat" until after dinner...then I can have ice cream!" I can't tell you how it has just helped me realize how many extra calories I would snack on at work without realizing it. Be proud of yourself for turning it down, because now you know how strong you are. :happy:
  • angieaanderson
    Options
    Good for you! As someone who is s l o w l y learning how to control food impulses, I totally feel for ya. But think about it: would the deliciousness and fluffiness of that muffin be worth the absolute guilt you'll feel after devouring it? (okay, sometimes yes, but maybe not today ;)
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I find that having to log everything really makes me aware of what I am eating, and makes it easier to say no. I don't want to have to log it.
  • IceQueen327
    IceQueen327 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I also know the "free" food temptation at work. It's always someone's birthday here. I have only just begun my new lifestyle of eating healthy, but I have already practiced what I will tell myself when someone at work, once again, brings in a "treat"! The part of me that wants to eat - whatever it may be - will say "but its only 1 ____"! And I will now say to myself, "Ok, it IS only 1 ____, but eating that 1 ____ in the past is what has gotten me to my now unhealthy, unhappy self! I dont want it, and I dont need it! My skinny pants are out there... waiting for me! Calling my name!"
    Just take it one day at a time! Good luck.
  • Kinkerbelle
    Options
    This is awesome! See all the people who understand. Remember its good for you to say no! For example there is a BOX of free chips at the end of our row. Even though some are the baked chips, they are still a no no. Chips bad! Mindless eating.

Sometimes, I look at the person offering me the food. Sometimes seeing their weight and seeing them eat it will turn me off of eating it. I know that's mean, but i don't want to be that "big".

Like going to all you can eat buffet. By the time I'm in the building and see the people in there, I just want a salad because i just don't want to be that big. All I see is me being that big and it kills my so called appetite.
  • drmdct
    drmdct Posts: 7
    Options
    So I was offered McDonald's chicken nuggets and I turned them down. I'm on a roll today but the glands in the back of my mouth are watering just from the smell. But I pictured my head on a heavier coworkers body and I was able to say no thank you with ease. ... seriously