Net Calories Makes we Want to Eat More!

Options
I do not like the net calories thing. I feel like I will end up eating more if I think of it that way. The point is to eat a certain amount of calories so your body doesn't think its starving and then burn them off with excercise. Not eat more food because your net calories are low..... Well that is my rant. Anyone else feel like they eat more because of this?

Replies

• littleali
    littleali Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    In my experience from reading on these boards, is that you eat 1500, exercise 500 and HAVE to, or SHOULD eat at least 200 back to net 1200. I've lost weight consistently that way, and apparently netting 1200 keeps your body from becoming malnourished.
  • sjum
    sjum Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I agree with you veganchick! It's so hard - I've tried it this way and I personally don't lose but if I do what littleali does I continue to lose... confusing!!
  • Kayjdicaprio
    Options
    ...I'm trying to learn about this whole NET calorie thing. All I know is that over the last month, my NET calories were anywhere between 700-1100, because I exercised and I chose low calorie healthier foods, and all I've lost was .5 pounds. I didn' t think it was important to eat back all the calories I burned. So you can imagine how frustrated I am. My cousin eats back all of her expended calories from exercising, even if that includes indulging in fast food joints, and is losing weight like crazy. Should we ditch the carrot sticks and pick up french fries for results.????
  • wendylady76
    Options
    I was having the same issue thinking maybe I was eating way too much, but I decided to try to always net my 1200 calories or stay within 100 under at 1100 and so far so good! in a week I've lost 2.5 pounds and couldn't be happier. I don't like the idea of my metabolism getting all wonky and thinking that I am starving myself.
  • sunshinestorm
    sunshinestorm Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I feel the same way, that I'm eating too much. So VeganChick, question for you, when you are zig zagging calories, on your low days, do you eat back some exercise calories to then be at a net of say 1200? Today is my low day.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I never went by net calories...I usually got close to what my "food" cals were for the day. If I was still hungry and had exercise cals that day, fine. I won't eat just to hit a certain number...and by the way....I almost NEVER hit 1200 net cals since I started this in March, and have not once gone into "starvation" mode!
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise so net calories is very easy for me. :)

Steve
  • wendylady76
    Options
    The thing is, that your body burns calories just existing depending on how much you weigh and your height etc. Your body NEEDS energy to move, to breathe, to replicate new cells, for your hair to grow, for your heart to beat etc etc. So if you start eating way less calories than your body needs to function, then your metabolism is going to shut down and quit burning because your body goes into starvation and survival mode because it doesn't know when you're going to give it more fuel. What I've learned is to EAT YOUR NET CALORIES or come within a close range.

As for eating fast food just to get your net calories, I can't agree. It would be better to fill up on REAL food because at least then you aren't getting all of the extras, (cholesterol, trans fats, sodium), with those calories. I just watched a medical special on "skinny fat people". Basically these people appear to be thin, but have more body fat % than a person who is slightly overweight because they eat horribly, don't exercise and build lean muscle. They are more at risk for health problems including heart disease. Scary stuff!

Bottom line - eat your net cals with healthy foods. Your body will thank you!
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I feel the same way, that I'm eating too much. So VeganChick, question for you, when you are zig zagging calories, on your low days, do you eat back some exercise calories to then be at a net of say 1200? Today is my low day.
    That is a very good question and is confusing to me. Of course it is hard to ignore when MFP is telling you it is ok to eat more! I think maybe I will use it a little bit? If I am starving and can't take it anymore, I will eat a little more as long as my net calories are low.
    Maybe its a good way to make sure you aren't overdoing it. If it says 1000 net calories, thats probably not good (for me at least).
  • Kayjdicaprio
    Options
    I think I can testify that you will not make progress eating below your NET calorie goal. I probably could have lost more if I just ate 1500 calories with no exercise this past month versus exercising and NOT eating back the calories to meet my daily goal.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    When I started using Net Cals, I found it gave me an excuse to eat when I wasn't honestly hungry. I would find myself saying, "Well, I have to get those Net Cals up... so I might as well have another fiber bar before bed." Or something horrible like that. I was eating when I didn't want or need to be. I'm a food addict and that's how it's been for me. Before tracking calories, I lost 67 lbs. Eating less, working out more. It's all about how much your body needs and how much you are going to give it. If I do two exercise videos, sure, I'm going to have more protein and more complex carbs that day. If I'm just doing a lighter workout or on my 'rest' week/day, I don't eat as much because I don't need that much fuel. The numbers can say what they want. I'm doing what my body feels is right. If I 'think' I'm hungry, I drink 5 sips of water and wait 15 minutes. If I still feel that way after that (or even more hungry), then I know I need fuel. If I don't, then I wanted to eat for some other reason.... boredom, loneliness, influence of others, addiction... etc. I think it all works differently for different people. I never ever have eaten back all of my workout calories.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,598 Member
    Options
    You can get away from the net calorie mentality by upping your activity level to reflect the extra exercise calories you're earning OR set your goals to Maintenance and let your exercise be your deficit. I mean, it's basically the same thing as reaching a net calorie goal. Just all in how you think about it. :smile: