Can this actually be true?

Options

Replies

• Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, human beings can only survive 3 days w/o water...and these folks say water is not all that important: THAT'S BULL.

Yes but there's also water in most foods you eat and also in other drinks that you're drinking aside from straight water. I think that's what this article was eluding to.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    its true. You are supposed to drink kool-aid, beer or wine. Period.
    Haha, don't forget soda!

This article actually says diet soda is just as effective as water.
    Effective at what though? I don't understand why people are so repulsed by water anyway. If I'm thirsty, there is nothing better than an ice cold glass of water. Silly article.

It says, for dieters looking to keep their mouths busy without consuming calories, diet soda is just as effective as water.

If you read the article, it really is not as controversial as this thread is making it sound.
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    Water sure is cheaper than diet soda.... I'll keep my water.
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Haha, don't forget soda!

This article actually says diet soda is just as effective as water.
    Effective at what though? I don't understand why people are so repulsed by water anyway. If I'm thirsty, there is nothing better than an ice cold glass of water. Silly article.

It says, for dieters looking to keep their mouths busy without consuming calories, diet soda is just as effective as water.

If you read the article, it really is not as controversial as this thread is making it sound.
    Effective in the short term maybe but there are plenty of other studies that show drinking diet soda all day can cause a lot of other problems, especially for women. I'm just trying to figure out why so many people hate water. It doesn't taste like anything! LOL.;)
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options

Hahaha! Funny!
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    Haha, don't forget soda!
    dont forget DIET soda...aka the MFP devil.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    I can't imagine being told not to drink water. My Grandma & Mom believe that if cows drink water & eat grass & make such good milk then us as humans should follow suit. I have tried to quench my thirst with other drinks & for me it doesn't work. I can't believe that something like that was able to be published but just like life & movies that shouldn't go to theater or disk I guess the unknowledgeable ones have to have their say as well.
    ill skip grazing in the field thanks :happy:
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I read an article that says that the earth is the center of the universe...I read it, so it must be true. Anything and everything you read on the internet or on paper has to be true.
  • Froggy1976
    Froggy1976 Posts: 472
    Options
    Haha, don't forget soda!
    dont forget DIET soda...aka the MFP devil.
    Brawndo! The thirst mutilator. It's got what plants crave!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's true. I really can't believe that people still believe you have to drink plain water for health or weigh loss. I didn't really need any studies to tell me that since I primarily drink tea (iced or hot) but there is plenty of evidence that plain water is not needed out there for anyone that cares to take a minute or two to find it.

Honestly, I've never knew there were so many water obsessed people till I joined this site. It's crazy!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There are hundreds of articles on the internet that have undeniable proof to both sides.. so why bother with articles, just do what works for you. Water works for me!!

There is NO article on the internet with undeniable proof that we need 8 glasses of plain water a day. There might ne sites that recommend it, but the 8 glasses a day is not a medical recommendation. It's not really bad either, but you need to keep in mind that when medical studies talk about water they are not talking about PLAIN water. Beverages are all mostly water, and so are many foods. And that's what the human body needs. Water.
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    This guy is a professor at one of the best medical schools in the world and he specializes in kidney function. I'm sure that if we actually read the study that this guy published, it wouldn't be so controversial. Actually, if you're interested it's here: http://jasn.asnjournals.org/content/19/6/1041.full
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    Are we talking about survival?, I am sorry, I thought this was fitness website.

Not regarding "survival" (are the zombies coming??) There ARE articles on the internet that point to saying water has benefits in being healthy, which is the other 'side' I was referring to.. Once again.. and its really quite simple, do what works for you... Water still works for me.
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's true. I really can't believe that people still believe you have to drink plain water for health or weigh loss. I didn't really need any studies to tell me that since I primarily drink tea (iced or hot) but there is plenty of evidence that plain water is not needed out there for anyone that cares to take a minute or two to find it.

Honestly, I've never knew there were so many water obsessed people till I joined this site. It's crazy!
    LOL, and I've never seen so many people so repulsed and opposed to water before coming to this site.:laugh: I don't get forcing yourself to drink gallons a day but why so much hate?
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Some of us need hours of labs, data, documentation and discussion to figure out that the grass is green and the wind blows... and even then, don't get it right. :)
  • EvaJanes
    EvaJanes Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    After everything I have read on the internet I have learned how to read between the lines and find backup evidence through reliable sources.
    Everyone is different in the actually amount of water that you need to ingest (notice I say ingest and not drink). Everything that we eat/drink for the most part contains water. By the time the water/tea/pepsi/koolaid hits your blood stream its water with just a bunch of different stuff thrown in there.

A good way to tell if you are getting enough hydration or not enough is by checking the color of your urine. Ifs it a dark yellow drink more, ifs its clear with no color at all you are drinking too much and this could cause you to throw off your electrolyte balance. Your urine should be a pale yellow. BTW taking some multivitamins can make you pee NEON yellow due to the high amounts of vitamin B

medical personal have no ides where the 8 glasses a day came from....BTW if you are standing be the sink trying to drink your 64oz in 10 minutes you are missing the piont entirely. Your fluid intake needs to be spaced out over the entire course of the day. Drinking to much and then running to the bathroom 25 minutes later just means you are still going to be dehydrated 5 hours later if you don't ingest more fluids.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Kinda what I was thinkin. It's just saying it's not a miracle thing that's going to make you lose weight. And I actually like that it points out drinking too much water is in fact not good for your kidneys. Water alone, is not going to make you lose weight. It's saying zero calories is zero calories.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Some of us need hours of labs, data, documentation and discussion to figure out that the grass is green and the wind blows... and even then, don't get it right. :)

BWAHAHAHAHA! I like you :)
  • odusgolp
    Options
    This guy is a professor at one of the best medical schools in the world and he specializes in kidney function. I'm sure that if we actually read the study that this guy published, it wouldn't be so controversial. Actually, if you're interested it's here: http://jasn.asnjournals.org/content/19/6/1041.full

Can I have you puppy??? PLEASE???? c'mon Mikey.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    8 glasses a day has been debunked time and time again. I will maintain that whatever amount you drink, if you aren't ever thirsty, and you don't have to whiz every five minutes... your intake is FINE :P