GUYS: Your sweat is NOT God's Nectar......

Options
124»

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Tightening of the diaphragm through grunting helps the body stabilise your core when lifting heavy. It's a necessary evil for many us.

If any of you can show me how to lift 350+ on the bar without grunting and being safe I would be happy to listern.

One of our trainers routinely lifts that much and deadlifts 500+ pounds without making a sound.

That's nice for him. I can't. I'm not saying it can't be done however.

Is he timid? I mean... I know a lot of strong people and 500+ DL done silently? Maybe he's holding his breath! :wink:

OK, so maybe I exaggerated just a little to make a point. :tongue:

But timid? Not hardly. He just goes about his business and doesn't feel the need to show off. He's also a damn good trainer.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Tightening of the diaphragm through grunting helps the body stabilise your core when lifting heavy. It's a necessary evil for many us.

If any of you can show me how to lift 350+ on the bar without grunting and being safe I would be happy to listern.

One of our trainers routinely lifts that much and deadlifts 500+ pounds without making a sound.

That's nice for him. I can't. I'm not saying it can't be done however.

Is he timid? I mean... I know a lot of strong people and 500+ DL done silently? Maybe he's holding his breath! :wink:

OK, so maybe I exaggerated just a little to make a point. :tongue:

But timid? Not hardly. He just goes about his business and doesn't feel the need to show off. He's also a damn good trainer.

Is his name Bob? Silent Bob? :tongue:
    I joke.. in good fun.
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I think that if you go to a $10 a month gym in a box, a fancy racket club, or a mega gym chain, that those rules make sense for the most part. My main gym is a VERY basic place, no AC, cell phones not allowed and we do lots of Olympic lifting (and agility work, plyo's, etc.). Grunting when moving big weights in Olympic movements is common, and dropping the weights for some movements is actually the safest way (thats why the lifting stations are made to handle it.

On the weekends I go to a gym in a box with my wife, and I know the rules are different. I also do a different workout there, as that crowd mostly only does the old school bodybuilding push/pull routines (with LOTS of standing and looking at mirrors in between sets). Each place has its own rules, and customs, and its nice when all of the boys and girls play by the rules. If someone is breaking the rules, either ask them nicely or have the staff deal with it.. worst thing you can do is to ignore it, and think it will change somehow.

I used to work in gyms when i was younger, and I can certainly spot the grunting during exertion, and "show grunting".. the guys wanting attention, or marking their turf or whatever the heck that is all about. lol
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about commenting about the girls who go to the gym looking like they are going to the club, but why. It's good for me. Eye candy never hurt anyone. My wife and I crack up everytime we see these chicks. Hell, one had on black spandex shorts and was running on the treadmill. I leaned over to my wife and whispered, "Hey, I think I can see her labia." So in all, yup, it's freaking ridiculous to dress up like a barbie to work out, but keep it up!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I can understand a person wearing too much body spray/cologne/perfume...

But why does anyone care if someone is wearing make up? I just don't get it.

I don't get it either. I find women in make up at the gym mostly endearing - looks like they have made an effort. Other times they look seriously hawt as well.
    OK, so maybe I exaggerated just a little to make a point. tongue

shooting-smiley.gif
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is chicks that have tons of perfume on, and even have their makeup on when they're at the gym. This isn't a night club....GTFO. :huh:

I judged someone like that once. She's all done up, matchy-matchy lululemon, hair-sprayed into place with a cute braid and big-*kitten* flower in her hair, make up caked on, fake and baked...
    then I decided to meet her and learn her story. in her early 20's a thyroid cancer survivor. She doesn't give a rats-*kitten* what people think and if they judge her. Life is too short.
    So be it! I was the a-hole in this case.

That's fine that she doesn't care, but she still looks like an out of place wingnut. And perfume, why not let people smoke in the gym also? The scents make me gag when I'm trying to breath on the treadmill. I went to a gym once that banned perfumes/colognes, the way it should be everywhere, unfortunately my local gym does not.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    If we're ranting, how about the douche bags who work out while on their cell phone?

Amen! Nothing annoys me more then when I want to use a weight machine and some dum dum is busying just chilling on it texting away.... so then I have to come back and by the time I get back another dum dum on there doing the same thing... either do your reps and move or don't do them at all.. that simple!

P.S I'm one of those matchy matchy barbie chicks at the gym that has perfect hair, but thats because I like to look presentable where ever I go.. and generally by the end I'm a sweaty, jello puddle like mess which makes me wonder why I ever do it in the first place..
  • Azdak
    Options
    I think that if you go to a $10 a month gym in a box, a fancy racket club, or a mega gym chain, that those rules make sense for the most part. My main gym is a VERY basic place, no AC, cell phones not allowed and we do lots of Olympic lifting (and agility work, plyo's, etc.). Grunting when moving big weights in Olympic movements is common, and dropping the weights for some movements is actually the safest way (thats why the lifting stations are made to handle it.

On the weekends I go to a gym in a box with my wife, and I know the rules are different. I also do a different workout there, as that crowd mostly only does the old school bodybuilding push/pull routines (with LOTS of standing and looking at mirrors in between sets). Each place has its own rules, and customs, and its nice when all of the boys and girls play by the rules. If someone is breaking the rules, either ask them nicely or have the staff deal with it.. worst thing you can do is to ignore it, and think it will change somehow.

I used to work in gyms when i was younger, and I can certainly spot the grunting during exertion, and "show grunting".. the guys wanting attention, or marking their turf or whatever the heck that is all about. lol

Reasoned, intelligent comments have no place in this thread.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    ...You forgot "STOP GRUNTING". :)

Rant # 3 over.

I'll stop grunting when Maria Sharapova does.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nSehJDh8F4
  • Azdak
    Options
    You know, sometimes you spend an hour or more on a comment or a blog and get maybe 50 views.

I come home from work after one bad day, throw up a self-indulgent, silly piece of nonsense and start this.

I formally apologize to MFP, my wife, my kids, my dog, my dead mother, and to mankind in general for starting this thread.........
  • gympamela
    gympamela Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I love my gym, the trainers are top notch and everyone works really hard. There are people of all sizes and shapes all busting their *kitten*. There are a few barbie-types, but it doesn't bother me- mostly it makes me want to work harder. I wish I was in shape enough to pull off matchy match lululemon!! I don't hate on sweating- I sweat BAD when I work out, I grunt (I hope quietly) when I do legs.
    The only thing that bothers me is that no one puts their weights back, and I can NEVER find the dumbells I need.
  • suzieduh
    suzieduh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Reasoned, intelligent comments have no place on this site.

fixed
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    My rant is the staring, my work out ain't any of your bidness . . .
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    and generally by the end I'm a sweaty, jello puddle like mess which makes me wonder why I ever do it in the first place..

THAT's why I think it's crazy to wear makeup to the gym - it's just so pointless! I'm not talking about the women who still have on makeup from the day, I'm talking about the ones who very obviously have applied makeup just to go to the gym, and generally in large quantities. I kid you not, I've seen a woman in the gym at 5am with more makeup than I wore to prom in high school! Where did you go before 5am that required that level of makeup?!? At that point, you just look like you're trying too hard.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    If we're ranting, how about the douche bags who work out while on their cell phone?

Or even worse, sit *on* the machines, chatting away on their cell phones, while a queue forms for the machine in question....
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I can care less about the sweat stuff. That doesn't bother me. What I absolutely hate is when I'm sitting there, breathing heavy from working out hard and some *kitten* is crop dusting the *kitten* out of the gym. Seriously, I hate taking in deep breaths of someone's anal air while I'm trying to get some oxygen.

I was on the elliptical for half an hour next to a guy who was running on the treadmill and let one go about once a minute. I mean, I understand that when you're running, stuff sinks downwards, and embarrassing stuff happens, but ffs, go to the toilet, sort yourself out and don't share the experience with me.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    You know, some women dont leave their bedroom without makeup on! It's not to offend anyone, or look glam, or pull, or get talked about, its just how they are. I dont know why, I'm not one of them, but I do know that some women are just wired that way. I think people ought to just live and let live!

As for sweat and germs and people's bodily functions? Well, its a gym, if you dont sweat, groan and fart for an hour or two, you aint working hard enough!!

I dont go to gym's as I prefer to make those noises and produce my bodily fluids in the comfort of my own home....lol

Someone once told me not to spray perfume on myself at a wine tasting event..............

Just sayin :bigsmile:
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I don't wear a lot of makeup in general but sometimes I like to look pretty at the gym. Im single and there are cute guys there. Why anyone would care what's on my lips and eyes is beyond me. People are always saying you never know when you will meet someone..well I want to look my best just in case. My business.
  • kbrogan78
    kbrogan78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    At my previous gym, there was a girl who would knit while on the elliptical. Often times she was also talking on her cell phone with a hands-free device while still knitting. I never could figure out why she went through the trouble of even coming to the gym.

Of course, she also looked to be about 85lbs, so I was pretty glad she wasn't exerting herself and burning extra calories!