Fantasy Football.........when's your draft?

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    For those into Fantasy Football, when's your draft? Mines this weekend because next weekend is Labor day and most of my friends will be gone and won't be able to draft live.

Who would you pick 1st if you got it? FOSTER or PETERSON?

Foster. Foster actually has an offense behind him whereas Peterson has... well himself. LOL. Let's be honest, McNugget is all but done in his career and the Vikings have one maybe two receiving threats at best.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Who would you take out of Chris Johnson, Jamaal Charles, MJD, Ray Rice?

Ray Rice is a friggin' beast and that offense has potential. Whenever I pick a RB especially I think about what the rest of the team has.

1. Chris Johnson: This offense is a one-man show, defense can key-in on CJ
    2. Jamaal Charles: Potential there I think.
    3. MJD: Is he on a Pro team...? LOL
    4. Ray Rice: Beast, work horse, decent support, especailly if Bohler is on-point and the WR can actually catch.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member

Right now, I would take Ray Rice, Jamaal Charles, Maurice Jones-Drew, and Chris Johnson in that order. Here is my rationale:

Ray Rice is going to put up big numbers in that offense. Derrick Mason and Todd Heap are both gone so the receiving corps, while professional and talented, are relatively new to Joe Flacco. Rice is a constant in that offense and going to get his fair share of dump-off passes. He's also a machine between the tackles and has breakaway speed if he gets to the outside.

Jamaal Charles is arguably as fast as Chris Johnson and the Chiefs have a solid team this season. When Baldwin returns from injury, they will have a great number two receiver and they finally have the slot guy they need in Steve Breaston to get the opposing defenses out of the box. Look for a good season from him.

Maurice Jones-Drew is an injury risk and the only real star of that offense (Mercedes Lewis is a nice player, but last season was a career year for him). I'd be careful unless he fell to a spot where he is a steal.

Chris Johnson is currently holding out. Will he play? Probably. Will he be in shape? Also probably. But I am a "what kind of production will you give me now" type of player and if I get beat in weeks one and two because a guy who wanted more money was shaking the dust off, I'd be pissed.

Cheers.
    -wtk
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    My draft is on the 6th. I have the #1 pick. We play for $1200 first place and $300 for second. 10 team, non-PPR.

I'm the returning champion.

Who to take at #1?

In my league, there is almost no difference between Foster and Peterson. If it were a PPR league, Foster is the better pick.
    Another thing to take into account here:

Foster could be losing some carries to Ben Tate and he's already been dealing with a hamstring issue. Foster also has only one good season under his belt, can he do it again? AP has been 100% healthy and came into camp in the best shape of his career. Peterson is also very likely getting more touches this year because of the QB situation and the fact that the Vikings OC has already mentioned they will be throwing the ball to him more this year as well.

For me, AP is probably a slightly better/more safe pick in a non-PPR league.

I have Nicks as my keeper from last season and will only cost me my 10th round pick.

I will take AP #1, hopefully Tom Brady @ #20 and Steven Jackson @ #21. Maybe Dez Bryant in the 4th.
  • liftingbro
    With Manning out, who would you choose: WAYNE or MILES AUSTIN?

Austin.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    My draft is on the 6th. I have the #1 pick. We play for $1200 first place and $300 for second. 10 team, non-PPR.

So for winning you get paid and the first pick? In a keeper league? That's kind of f*cked up...

Either way, have you seen Arian Foster this pre-season? Don't worry about him losing carries.
    -wtk
  • liftingbro
    None of the bunch is the wrong pick, however:

I like Ray Rice. I think the signing of McKinney will prove to solidify the line. Jamaal Charles and MJD have less luck finding the endzone, otherwise they are solid picks. I'd put CJ as the top pick here if we knew he wouldn't miss any games for sure, he scores more points than anyof the others on the list. CJ also has added value if your league awards bonus points for big plays.
  • liftingbro

So for winning you get paid and the first pick? In a keeper league? That's kind of f*cked up...

Either way, have you seen Arian Foster this pre-season? Don't worry about him losing carries.
    -wtk

We have random draft order every year, I just lucked out, and we only keep one player.

Last year I had the 5th pick, the year before that the 10th pick. I won last year, finished 3rd the year before. I almost always finish higher than my draft position.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,903 Member
    First league was a couple of weeks ago and I got screwed with my picks. I hate the way CBS does their draft order. I'm hoping to do better with my second league on labor day.

Oh, I and I'm a Broncos fan and I try to stay FAR away from picking any of them.
    Actually Orton isn't bad. He led the league in passing until Josh was fired.
  • ninerbuff
    Rice. With the signing of Asomuaga, that offense will be on the field alot.
  • liftingbro

Rice plays for the Ravens, Asomuaga for the Eagles.
  • ninerbuff

Doh! My bad. Well the Baltimore def looked good the last couple of games. I'd still take Rice because he doesn't get injured like MJD, touches the ball more than Charles and with Johnson unsigned and and no real support system, Rice is the most solid choice.
  • liftingbro

Doh! My bad. Well the Baltimore def looked good the last couple of games. I'd still take Rice because he doesn't get injured like MJD, touches the ball more than Charles and with Johnson unsigned and and no real support system, Rice is the most solid choice.

I agree with that. Rice is particularly good in PPR leagues but I'd probably take him @ pick #3 overall eitherway, unless Chris Johnson is back by time the draft starts.
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    My draft is Monday night 6PM!
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    First league was a couple of weeks ago and I got screwed with my picks. I hate the way CBS does their draft order. I'm hoping to do better with my second league on labor day.

Oh, I and I'm a Broncos fan and I try to stay FAR away from picking any of them.
    Actually Orton isn't bad. He led the league in passing until Josh was fired.

Orton isn't too bad but I had Brady last year sooo...

My team last year was money and they picked it apart at the draft. I guess they didn't like getting beat by a girl. :smokin:
  • ninerbuff

My team last year was money and they picked it apart at the draft. I guess they didn't like getting beat by a girl. :smokin:
    QB's are going to be pretty level this year after the top 4 (Rogers, Brees, Rivers, Brady) are gone. Last year I waited till the 7th round (14 team league) to get a QB and got Orton.
  • sillygoose1977

QB's are going to be pretty level this year after the top 4 (Rogers, Brees, Rivers, Brady) are gone. Last year I waited till the 7th round (14 team league) to get a QB and got Orton.

I got Brees this year in the second round. I would have waited but all the guys were picking QB's first. Which is pretty dumb if you ask me. Last year my line up had Brady, McCoy, Gore, Fitzgerald and I can't remember who else. Ended up with McCoy, Moreno, Marshall, Garcon, and Manningham. Eesh, we'll see how I do. I have a second league drafting next weekend and I hope it goes better.
  • ninerbuff

I got Brees this year in the second round. I would have waited but all the guys were picking QB's first. Which is pretty dumb if you ask me. Last year my line up had Brady, McCoy, Gore, Fitzgerald and I can't remember who else. Ended up with McCoy, Moreno, Marshall, Garcon, and Manningham. Eesh, we'll see how I do. I have a second league drafting next weekend and I hope it goes better.
    How many teams?
  • sillygoose1977

How many teams?

12 in this league. It was through CBS and their draft order screws you if you are placed in the middle.
  • liftingbro

Yeah, there are 5 RBs that will go in the first 5 picks (in most leagues), then there are 5 QBs that matter:

Rodgers and Vick (likely worth a mid to late 1st rounder s, assuming 10-12 team leagues)
    Brees, Rivers and Brady (Late 2nd round to early 3rd)
    After that, you could wait until maybe the 5th-7th round and get, Peyton Manning, Tony Romo, Matt Schaub, Big Ben, Josh Freeman, or Matt Ryan

After the top five RBs and top 5 QBs you start looking for steady eddy types. Guys who don't get injured, put up consistant stats and are not in a threat to be sharing time.