theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    My fav websites~
    *tastykitchen.com
    *eatingwell.com
    *skinnytaste.com
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Bump!
    Curried cauliflower with chickpeas over rice.

- Sautee up 1 tbsp olive oil, some garlic, diced onion, ginger, and salt to taste; cook until translucent, just a few minutes on medium. Optional: Add a diced hot pepper or three if you want it spicy.
    - Optional: add some cubed medium or firm tofu, chicken, or turkey. Wait for it to brown up a bit on the outside before the next step. Note: you may need to remove the stuff from the first step and add it back after this step so that it doesn't burn.
    - Add a can of rinsed chickpeas, or soak half a cup of dried ones overnight.
    - Add a cup of water mixed with a few tablespoons of curry powder. Or if you prefer, get a jar of expensive and oily Madras curry paste.
    - Put the lid on it and let it cook for 30 minutes on medium-low. Watch close, you may need to add more water from time to time.
    - Add the cauliflower, cut into small pieces, and stir. Don't waste the stem bits, cut them small and add them in.
    - Squeeze one half lemon into the pan and mix.
    - Put the lid on a cook for a couple of minutes until the cauliflower reaches the desired tenderness.
    - Serve over rice.
  • Thankilates
    Thankilates Posts: 432 Member
    Bump!
    Curried cauliflower with chickpeas over rice.

- Sautee up 1 tbsp olive oil, some garlic, diced onion, ginger, and salt to taste; cook until translucent, just a few minutes on medium. Optional: Add a diced hot pepper or three if you want it spicy.
    - Optional: add some cubed medium or firm tofu, chicken, or turkey. Wait for it to brown up a bit on the outside before the next step. Note: you may need to remove the stuff from the first step and add it back after this step so that it doesn't burn.
    - Add a can of rinsed chickpeas, or soak half a cup of dried ones overnight.
    - Add a cup of water mixed with a few tablespoons of curry powder. Or if you prefer, get a jar of expensive and oily Madras curry paste.
    - Put the lid on it and let it cook for 30 minutes on medium-low. Watch close, you may need to add more water from time to time.
    - Add the cauliflower, cut into small pieces, and stir. Don't waste the stem bits, cut them small and add them in.
    - Squeeze one half lemon into the pan and mix.
    - Put the lid on a cook for a couple of minutes until the cauliflower reaches the desired tenderness.
    - Serve over rice.

Sounds great! I love curry and have made a version of this! Perhaps I will try this one! thanks!
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    I just found this recipe today and I am dying to try it! http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1120662/warm-cauliflower-salad
  • kjnicol
    kjnicol Posts: 192 Member
    These are great ideas!!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I like to roast mine with just a little olive oil and any seasoning you would like. So yummy!!

Yes, this is my favorite way to eat cauliflower too. I like with a cajun, creole or bayou type seasoning.
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    I'm going to steal some of these ideas...i love cauliflower...I put them in my mashed potatoes!
  • gwark
    gwark Posts: 7 Member
    I often serve cauliflower mashed potatoes, and noone even knows that it is half cauliflower.

This simply cannot be true, cauliflower has such a distinctive smell!

I'm kind liking the mustard idea, LOL!

Seriously, steam it until it turns into a mash. The texture is very similar and once it is steamed, it is nearly odorless.
  • jbdowns35
    jbdowns35 Posts: 352
    Definately roast them!! YUM. I have a wok style pan with holes in it for my grill, made for grilling veggies. I toss cauliflower (any veggies, really asparagus is best) in olive oil & spices & grill. AWESOME.
  • sueozzy
    sueozzy Posts: 68 Member
    Bump
  • loviebear26
    loviebear26 Posts: 43 Member
    I added 2% velveta cheese to my steamed cauliflower and pretended it was mac and cheese! :o)
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Cauliflour Mash!!

Makes 4 servings

2 cups cooked cauliflower florets
    1 green onion, chopped
    2 tablespoon light sour cream
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix together hot mashed cauliflower, sour cream & butter until well blended, then add other ingredients. Mix well, check for seasonings and serve!

I add cheese to mine (yum) and I use "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" instead of butter. This is my favorite way to eat cauliflower!

Yummy! I'll be making this this weekend!
  • gwark
    gwark Posts: 7 Member
    I've fooled both my veggie hating little brother and likewise veggie hating brother-in-law. But everyone's palette is different.
    We usually steam the cauliflower until very tender over the boiling potatoes.
  • BiggGrizz
    BiggGrizz Posts: 164 Member
    bump
  • Toss florets with a bit of olive oil, garlic and 1tsp cumin then roast...YUM! OR...

Coconut lime Cauliflower and Curry Chickpea Stir-Fry

1 tbsp coconut oil
    1 tbsp grated or finely chopped fresh ginger
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    ½ large red onion, cut lengthwise into thin strips
    1-½ cups chopped cauliflower
    1 cup chopped broccoli florets
    1-cup bite-size torn spinach
    ½ tsp curry
    ½ tsp turmeric
    ¼ tsp ground cumin
    ¼ mild chili pepper, finely sliced (or substitute ½ tsp dried chili flakes)
    1-cup chickpeas
    1-cup coconut milk
    1 tbsp limejuice
    ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro

Heat frying pan to medium-high. Add coconut oil, ginger, and garlic. Lightly stir-fry. Turn heat to medium-low. Add vegetables, curry, turmeric, cumin, chili pepper, chickpeas, and coconut milk. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add limejuice and cilantro. Serve with sprouted quinoa or buckwheat. Brown rice also works nicely.
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    if plain steamed cauliflower doesn't appeal to you, try it with light cream cheese on top, or light parmesan cheese sprinkled on it. the cream cheese is my fave, and the parm is my bf's fave. :)
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    I like it with emeril's original essence and some parmesan..... roasted cauliflower is delish!!
  • chicabean420
    chicabean420 Posts: 173 Member
    Not sure if this has been suggested yet, but I used this recipe and mixed it with Broccoli too.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/roasted-garlic-cauliflower/detail.aspx

The only difference is I sprayed it with Pam and skipped the oil. SUPER GOOD!
  • lorishultis
    lorishultis Posts: 95 Member
    I boil mine; roasting sounds good and so does that rice... I have tried the half potatoes half cauliflower mashed and it was good... you can also chop it small and add it to salads or add to stir fry or anything else your cooking like you would anything... So versatile!

Also try allrecipese.com - you can search for recipes by ingredient... Good luck...
  • ambercholtz
    ambercholtz Posts: 84 Member
    I love my vegetables just as they are, raw and cooked, but I have started adding vinegar over some them. Only a little to add a nice flavor but it tastes great that way. There is also a recipe for a mustard sauce that was actually incredibly tasty.

Mustard Sauce

2 tbs of Red Wine Vinegar
    2 tsp of garlic powder or raw
    2 tbs of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    1 tsp of Mustard

Mix together and spoon over vegetables. Approximately 60 calories per serving.
This discussion has been closed.