healthy meals my bf would like

Options
2»

Replies

• Beatrix0810
    Options
    Just cook him all the meals he's used to but use fresh, healthy ingredients. For example, Instead of buying frozen pizzas, get ready made, whole wheat pizza dough and fresh toppings and make your own pizza. My bf and I did this recently and it was A LOT of fun. Use low-fat mozzerella and fresh veggies and, if you need to add some meat to the pizza, use ground turkey or turkey pepperoni. I promise it will taste amazing AND it will be fun to make togeter.

For pasta nights I like to make a "pasta fresca" which is whole wheat penne pasta, extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, fresh garlic, low-fat mozzerella, fresh tomoatoes, artichoke hearts and greek olives. That's it! No sauce necessary. It tastes GREAT and is low in calories and fat.

Those are just a few ideas for now. You can also replace mashes potatoes with mashed cauliflower (I promise it tastes better than it sounds) and use grilled, thinly sliced veggies (like peppers and squash) for noodles in asian dishes rather than actual noodles. Just get creative! It's actually a lot more fun cooking that way :-)
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Sounds like my son.
    My wife makes wonderful totally homemade pizza and he won't even look at it.

My guess is that your husband is an Adult Picky Eater(its a real thing), sometimes these people have different kinds of taste buds so most food tastes bitter to them, except things like cheese pizza. That is the most popular food for the APE crowd.

If there is a Trader Joe's near you, the frozen food aisle has many dishes that my son will actually eat so maybe your husband will like those too.
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    First of all, no one wants to / agrees with cooking for a man because he says we have to, BUT if you like to cook and you love your man, sometimes you WANT to cook for him. Should he appreciate it? yes. Should he clean up (or at least offer, if you are one of us girls who likes to clean up the way we like)? yes. Ok. Here are some easy options that I cook that my boyfriend and I both like!

1. Cube chicken breast, cook in pan (with Pam only), add marinara sauce once chicken is cooked & cook long enough to warm up sauce. Pour over Barilla Three Cheese Tortellini. Sprinkle with shredded Parm/Romano/Asiago cheese blend - for some reason this is the kicker for my bf. Serve with a green salad.

2. Cube chicken breast, cook in pan (with Pam only), add Patak's Tikka Masala sauce once chicken is cooked & cook long enough to warm up sauce. Serve over steamed rice.

3. Grill 93% lean ground beef burgers. Top with reduced fat cheese. Serve (without bun) with Bush's beans and a green salad.

I guess those are our faves, and I basically do variations of those. Keeps me within my calories and keeps us both happy! Hope you and your bf try and like them!