stretching?

Options
How important is it to stretch before you work out and afterwards? I never stretch before I do the elliptical or walk and my friend suggested I start doing that. So when is a good time to stretch, when I do intense cardio or when even before I walk 2 miles? Also should I start adding a Yoga or Pilates too? Is it important to be flexible? I'm so confused about what I should add to my workouts and what's not really important. Thanks guys

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS stretch after, not before a cardio workout.

And yes, it is a must to avoid injury and really helps your body heal after any intense workout.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    If you stretch make sure you are warmed up a bit or you will pull a muscle and injure yourself. I think it is best to do a warm up and then stretch after you are finished your workouts.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Also, if you're looking to do some Yoga that really works out every muscle in your body try Power Yoga. I like Jillian Michael's Power Yoga DVD. Only $8 at Target. I also take a class called Centergy--amazing. It's a combination of Power Yoga and Pilates.
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I stretch before and after workouts. I find it makes you less sore and prevents cramps.

I don't do anything intense, just a few holding positions. My favorite is holding your ankle and pressing your thigh forward (you hand on your ankle holds it back so there is no visible movement). This is awesome before and after the elliptical.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    How important is it to stretch before you work out and afterwards? I never stretch before I do the elliptical or walk and my friend suggested I start doing that. So when is a good time to stretch, when I do intense cardio or when even before I walk 2 miles? Also should I start adding a Yoga or Pilates too? Is it important to be flexible? I'm so confused about what I should add to my workouts and what's not really important. Thanks guys

No need to stretch prior to a workout, do most of your stretching after. Stretching before can actually hinder your performance.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    A lot of folks now insist (as above) that you should absolutely not stretch before. I find that my muscles are too tight and I cannot do cardio effectively if I don't stretch before; all of my worst runs have come when I cut my pre-run stretching short. Definitely stretch after (this is universally recomended in my experience) and listen to your body on before; stretch if you need it, don't if you don't.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I usually run for about 10 minutes - about a mile (treadmill) then use the elliptical for 25 mins then do some good stretching.
    I'll do some freeweights then and then more cardio.
    I always stretch as the last thing I do then just walk a bit.

:O)
    I find this the best way to avoid aches and pains and injury personally.

Good Luck.
  • Ifican
    Ifican Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Stretching prior to exercise is not necessary but if done properly does not harm. However warming up before activity is absolutely necessary or you will eventually hurt yourself. I always recommend stretching after exercise because your muscles have tightened and shortened due to physical exertion. Once you have incorporated a stretching routine into your daily life you will find you recover faster and feel better after workouts.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Stretching is important. If you are building new muscle you want to keep it supple. Yoga can take several forms (not an expert). Power yoga is strengthening and lengthening. Pilates is all about strengthening your core. If you like traditional ab work - just stick with that - if you want something different pilates is great. Try to incorporate either yoga, or athletic stretching if you're not into the "spiritual or new agey" (don't want to offend).

All forms of yoga also work your balance - more and more important as you age.

Cathe has a great stretching DVD called Stretch Max (3-20 min. segments) - 1 uses no equipment, others use a band or a stability ball
    Sara Ivanhoe - Yoga Body Makeover (5 - 20 min segments) - very down to earth - very minimal spiritual references