Low-Cost Healthy Options

Options
The start of school has left me incredibly broke (thank you tuition, thank you books, thank you gas prices). I've become negligent about my diet and nutrition, and basically I've been making due with WHATEVER I can find in the kitchen.

Any lost-cost, nutritious, non-crap-tasting ideas????

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    try buying in staples in bulk so you wont have to worry about the staples fro the rest of the months.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Buy fresh produce, it's cheaper, also like she said, bulk rice and beans is always cheaper.. Cook up some noodles and veggies makes a great meal, that you can reheat too!
  • Sarw27
    Sarw27 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Make something in a crock pot in bulk. Turkey chili, mexican chicken (chicken, salsa, black beans), etc. Portion it out and freeze it in containers. That's what I do every Sunday (okay, every Sunday that I actually have my shiat together). It might be a few dollars to buy but it lasts a while. Also, stuff like beans, quinoa, and brown rice are pretty cheap to buy and go a long way.

One time I was broke, I took the contents of my kitchen and tossed together an easy chili. I had hamburger, some beans, a can of tomatoes and some spices.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Buy bags of frozen veggies (store brands cost about $1 each). They won't go bad for a long time and can be very versatile. My must haves are broccoli and stir fry or asian mixes. I use the stir fry veggies to make a quick and healthy meal once each week or so. A cup or two of the veggies thrown in with some chicken or beef strips and served with a side of rice will only set you back about a buck or so per meal.
  • katie_rn
    katie_rn Posts: 40
    Options
    Canned tuna is a great protein at low cost, on salads or toast. Try farmers markets too this time of year, local and in season fresh produce is going to be cheaper (and taste better!) than out of season items in the supermarket.
  • aclukehart
    Options
    bump! i'm a poor college student also :(
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Beans, brown rice, barley, canned tuna, eggs, frozen fruits or veggies
    Plan your meals around your groceries weekly sales
    Clip coupons, stock up on non-perishables when they are on sale, buy perishables in season and look for local home grown fruits or veggies when in season.
    Make friends with people who have a garden, they'll always have a few extras they want to give away.
    Or raise your own if possible.
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Looks like some of these options can save some time, too!!!