re HRM..... why am I working out??

Options
I woke this morning with a full day of cleaning to do, you know that "spring cleaning" but in the summer...
I never log "cleaning vigorusly" but I was curious as to how many calories it would actually burn, so I put on my HRM.
Needless to say, I have been sitting on the sofa with the laptop in my lap the entire time (two hours), and the HRM reads at this very moment 508 calories burned!!!
It is HARD for me to get that doing 1 hr straight with resistance on the Elliptical! Talk about discouraging :(

Wondering how/why initally setting your "resting" rate effects the number of calories burned... or if it even does.
Should I reset?
Any explination or advise or input would be welcomed!
XOX
Jen

Replies

• aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm confused... were you cleaning, or sitting on the sofa? Lol
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    You can set a resting rate on yours? You have the FT4, right? As far as I know, I can' t set a RHR on mine. Will be curious to see what people say...
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    What are you watching on that computer to get your heart racing, I wonder... ;)
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    It is my understanding that traditional HRM are not good indicators of cals burned while not working out. There are other devices that are specifically geared to track calories burned throughout the day, but a HRM is not one of them.
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    What are you watching on that computer to get your heart racing, I wonder... ;)

That's my question too...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    HRMs are not meant to be worn while sedentary. It's probably not an accurate reading.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the recliner? I think you can do HIT on those.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    first off unless you have HRM MEANT to be worn all day (like the bodybugg) don't.

Our bodies burn calories all day long, breathing, digesting, growing hair and nails, blinking etc.

Most HRM aren't meant to be worn all day so the readings they give you outside of ACTUALLY exercising are NOT accurate because they aren't meant for that.
  • mrsbrown2k1
    Options
    HUMMM, now you have me curious to what my HRM says if I sit at my desk and work for an hour. going to try that now!
  • wanetam
    wanetam Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If you were just sitting down wearing your HRM, I don't think the readings are acurate. They don't work that way : (
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If you lie in bed all day you still burn calories. The calories that MFP tells you to eat is based on if you lie down all day doing nothing. HRMs are also not accurate for those type of sedentary activities. It is best for when you are actually doing things that get your HR up.

Here is some more information on calorie burning:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate
  • change_happens
    Options
    I woke this morning with a full day of cleaning to do, you know that "spring cleaning" but in the summer...
    I never log "cleaning vigorusly" but I was curious as to how many calories it would actually burn, so I put on my HRM.
    Needless to say, I have been sitting on the sofa with the laptop in my lap the entire time (two hours), and the HRM reads at this very moment 508 calories burned!!!
    It is HARD for me to get that doing 1 hr straight with resistance on the Elliptical! Talk about discouraging :(

Wondering how/why initally setting your "resting" rate effects the number of calories burned... or if it even does.
    Should I reset?
    Any explination or advise or input would be welcomed!
    XOX
    Jen

I have just started logging my daily cleaning routine, which usually takes about an hour, or a little over, after realizing that it IS an activity. I log my knitting, I log my crocheting... :) But.... I actually get off of the couch and clean :) lol!

But maybe I shouldn't be cleaning at all if I can burn 500 calories sitting on the couch :) Man.... I gotta get myself one of those things :)
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    HRM's aren't calibrated to rest....It doesn't know what to do with that.... I love that you clean from the couch with a laptop on your lap. I must learn that trick....
  • EvaJanes
    EvaJanes Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Dont for get that our bodies burn calories all the time not just when you are working out. Your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is the number of calories you'd burn if you stayed in bed all day. So your HRM is telling you those as well but you need to remember that MFP already has that calculated for you in too you calorie goals. Remember too that the HRM are not 100% accurate unless you are hooked up to about $30000 worth of equipment at a hospital.
  • akgrl1020
    akgrl1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    I think I read somewhere that they can pick up misreadings from other electronics, like computers.
  • jenny_fur
    Options
    Are there some adverse health reactions to wearing it all day??
    I hadn't planned on sitting on the sofa.. I planned on running up and down the stairs with laundry all day :)
    oh and nothing exciting on the computer... just news MFP and FB...

So I to assume that these arent accurate numbers because im not actually working out?
    Totally confused now... (burning more calories now haha)
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I hadn't planned on sitting on the sofa.. I planned on running up and down the stairs with laundry all day :)

So I to assume that these arent accurate numbers because im not actually working out?

If you are moving around and being active and gettnig your HR up, whatever the HRM tells you is EXTRA on top of what you burn just sitting around doing nothing. It's still not 100% accurate but it gives you a good indication. You should not be logging sitting or anything like that because that is what MFP is already factoring in.

I personally do not log things unless they reach a certain % of my max HR as exercise, but I know people do different things based on their day to day activity level :) Hope this helps
  • Mariettarose
    Options
    I've switched to the bodybugg due to problems with my hrm. My hrm told me I was burning 3500 calories/day. I know that was wrong and explained me gaining weight. I finally invested in the bodybugg and found out that I was barely burning 1600 calories/day if I didn't exercise. I can get my 2200/day if I do exercise. I'm finally losing weight again. Sometimes you have to get a little OCD if you really want to find answers. My body is stubborn, not to mention I have thyroid issues too. I have to watch everything that goes into my mouth. I also know that my heart rate is much faster than most peoples'. (Scares my husband.) Heart rate monitors only tell you how many calories based on the information you input and your heart rate, not body temperature, sweat, and movement. All of the monitors are still only estimates. How accurately do you want to estimate?
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options

If you are looking for something to wear all day that tracks calories burned from being alive AND exercise get a Body Bugg, They are calibrated to be worn all day, anything that's not set up that way isn't accurate and is just as good as me telling you that you burn 2000 calories a day sleeping (totally random in other words).

I also don't believe in logging things that I do normally every day, so dusting and vacuuming don't count, I was doing those when I got fat too so unless it's above and beyond normal things it doesn't get logged. That's why MFP has options for lifestyle. If you're set to lightly active you need to skip logging things unless they are really getting your heart rate moving.