All About Post-Workout Nutrition

2»

Replies

• Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Post-Workout Nutrition isn't simply about glycogen depletion or hitting the wall.

Following exercise, the body is in a Catabolic state. In other words, tissues are being broken down faster than they are being re-built. This catabolic state can last for up to 24 hours.

Injestion of a Carb/Protein within the "Window of Opportunity" after exercise, counteracts this effect and leads to quicker recovery, change from protein breakdown to protein synthesis, and restores muscle glycogen as needed while the body is hungry for it.

It's about maximum efficiency in your recovery so that you get the most out of your workouts.

For the record: There is alot of modern research that goes against conventional beliefs from a few years ago. The key to success is to always continue to look for the latest and most accurate information in a quest to continually education one-self as to what's what. The sources from the article above devote their entire lifes work towards exercise nutrition so I stand by their results and expertise.
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Injestion of a Carb/Protein within the "Window of Opportunity" after exercise, counteracts this effect and leads to quicker recovery, change from protein breakdown to protein synthesis, and restores muscle glycogen as needed while the body is hungry for it.

What's the "Window of Opportunity"? Sometimes I forget my drink and need to run to the store or something. At what point do I lose the benefits of it and I shouldn't even bother with it?
  • Egger29
    Within 90 mins of the end of your workout. Anything later than that, there's no additional benefit. I have my post-workout drink ready in my locker and can slam back the 500mls in about 2 mins before hitting the shower or hot tub...hense, the convenience of something in liquid form.
  • Wonderful info !!
  • Egger29
    I started drinking chocolate milk as a post workout snack and find the sugar rush pleasant :). I figure the milk at least is good for me, and it is a mix of protein and carbs.

Chocolate Milk is one of the easiest, readily available and quickest to inject sources of a post-workout drink. It's got about a 2:1 ratio of Carb:Protein and 500ml will give you close to 40g Carb with 20g Protein.

The only real reason why it's not widely recommended overall is simply due to the large population of people who either have milk protein allergies or are lactose intolerant. As a result, it's not a catch-all solution for the vast majority and cannot be endorsed as such.

Another thing to consider is that Fat in the stomach during digestion can inhibit the absorption of carbs and proteins so the ideal recovery drink is something that is fat free.

That being said "Ideal" is the key word....If chocolate milk is what's most convenient for you, you'll still get benefits regardless. :-)
  • ladybugfrenzy
    ladybugfrenzy Posts: 30 Member
    thanks everyone for the information. I think this proves the point that we need to do what works for us. I feel tired after a workout like zumba but don't think I need a protein shake. I do like the option of chocolate milk! This was my one craving when I was pregnant with my daughter.
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    thanks everyone for the information. I think this proves the point that we need to do what works for us. I feel tired after a workout like zumba but don't think I need a protein shake. I do like the option of chocolate milk! This was my one craving when I was pregnant with my daughter.

It is a great treat - although I sometimes cringe at the amount of calories. I have to drink 16 oz to get about 16g protein, which is about 350 cals. Someone on MFP suggested Kefir as well, which seems to be another reasonably easy to obtain and convenient option. It would have less calories probably. Although one can argue very easily that 350 calories for a post workout drink after you've just burned 350 calories or more is perfectly ok :).
  • jowans2004
    jowans2004 Posts: 38 Member
    about the topic of bcaas, i currently ingest bcaas pre and post workout. i just put in 1 scoop in my water...when you say 5-15 grams of bcaa, do you mean the weight of the powder or the amount of amino acids? my bcaa is composed of 2 g l-leucine, 1 g l-isoleucine, and 1 g l-valine per scoop, but each scoop weights approx 6.5 g. is the 1 scoop insufficient seeing that the total g of amino acids per scoop is 4 g? thank you for your information!
  • Egger29
    5-15 Grams would refer to the amount of BCAA in the dose, not the scoops size since different formats would contain different amounts of BCAAs. So if your scoop gives you 4 g, you'd ideally go with 2 scoops.
  • jowans2004
    jowans2004 Posts: 38 Member
    thank you very much, your response is helpful.
This discussion has been closed.