Finding Time...

Options
OK so I can't figure out how to make time to work out ... Hope someone can help me... I'm 26 and have a 4yr old girl and a 8 month old boy....(plus 4 dogs) Here is how my day goes...

I wake up at 4am to get myself and both of my kids ready to leave the house by 5am , I drop them off at daycare, and have to be to work by 6am I work from 6am til 230-330 (depends on what there is to do...) -at a desk :( Get off work do any running that needs to be done, pick up the kids , get home , I cook , clean , and work with my daughter on school stuff..., give baths... by the time I know it it's already 830pm .... I put the kids to bed and then I take a shower and maybe relax for 10min then go to bed by 930-10pm...

Does anyone know of anything I can change to get a work out done...??

Thanks
Stacy

Replies

• jcrocetto
    Options
    I am in a very similar situation. I have started to "give myself" 30 minutes of work-out time before picking up the kids. I rush home, change, and go running for about 25 minutes. And if there is time I do some sit-ups and push-ups. I do this about three times a week. It got hard in the winter, so the day before christmas this past year I bought a recumbent bike (really cheap, on sale). On really cold or rainy days I do the bike instead of run. It only takes thirty minutes, and your kids won't even notice a difference at school. But you will notice a difference in your work outs. Also, I have started to bike while watching my favorite shows. I figure....if I can cool down at night watching a show, why not do it while riding a bike?

Good luck!
  • GinNouveau
    GinNouveau Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If you can't find time to do a workout, just move more through your normal day. Dance in the shower, walk/stand/bend more at work, walk on your breaks, use your whole body to clean (stand up to fold laundry, march in place, bend to put clothes in the washer one peice at a time, etc.), play actively with your kids, use your 10 minute relax time to do some stretching and yoga poses to release some stress. Any movement is good for you. Once you start feeling better, you will have more energy which will make it easier to figure out a more standard workout routine for yourself. Hope this helps!
  • Vauny
    Vauny Posts: 6
    Options
    U a busy mom! I finally had to "set an apt" with myself.

If you had an injury that required Physical Therapy a few days a week, you would find the time (however inconvenient) to keep that apt. Same thing with exercise, you wouldnt cancel an apt with a friend, collegue, etc. so why would you cancel an appointment with yourself especially for something important such as your health.

Perhaps start out slow. Set two "appointments" your first week and maybe make it just 15 minutes a shot. Maybe after work before errands and kids. Once that becomes routine you can gradually increase until you are hooked! :)

Good luck! It's doable and if you can pull off what you currently are doing, then you can do this too!

Take care, V
  • Missy0104
    Options
    Yah I work around full time job (10 hour work days) and 3 kids and it's toooooough!! But I told my hubby that I need ME time so every Sunday I sit down and mark my calendar with 4 days that week that I devote an hour to just me. I do 1 weekend day and then 3 week nights where I go to the gym after work and put my hubby on kid duty so that I can work out. The other nights roles are reversed so he can work out. Sometimes I squeeze in the extra weekend day as well (even if it's a workout at home).

With kids and work....I need it to almost be like a scheduled appointment to not throw off the week's routine.
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    I can't completely relate because I don't have children... but here are a few tips that help me:
    1 - Try to compile all errands into 1 day of the week if possible, so that it gives you a few other days free
    2 - If possible, so a little bit of batch cooking on a weekend. I tend to make a lot of meals and freeze them for later on. I make sheppard's pie (like 6-10 large trays at a time), lasagna rolls, curry chicken, etc... Then all you have to do is pop dinner in the oven while you exercise!

Also (not trying to pry), do you have a significant other that could help out? Sorry if this is rude?!?

Good Luck! ;)
  • 2pinks1blue
    Options
    Could you combine your errands to one or two days? Then on the other days that you work, you could get in a bit of a workout before picking your kids up? What about naptime on the weekend, or after bed through the week?.. I have an almost 4 year old, a 2.5 year old, and a 7 week old, so I know how tough it can be!
  • BringItOnWeightLoss
    Options
    I am a super busy mom with a 16 month old, full time job, 5 dogs, 4 cats, working on my masters degree and I have the same issue of time.

I agree with combining errands into 1 or 2 days. I plan my menu for the week- i cook in bulk and freeze. There are amazing DVDs out now to do at home in 25-30 min (I was just researching Jillian Michaels 30 day shred) and this website was recommened to me, which I have not tried yet... http://www.bodyrock.tv/
  • sambustem
    Options
    Your day sounds like mine!!! I joined a 24 hour gym under the idea that I would actually get up at 3:15am to work out! That lasted A DAY!!! I have 3 kiddo's (8, 7 and 10 mths). The 8 and 7 year old have 2 hour gymnastic practices 3 days a week - right as I get out of work (4-6pm), then homework, baths, bed. I go to bed by 9, since I get up at 4:45. Without fail, the baby will wake up 2 times a night - so getting up earlier to work out is just that...out! That leaves Tues and Thurs during the week, that I might get a real work out! Then the weekend, which is very rare!! Just do the best you can do! I have found I am doing really good with just really watching what I'm eating - I've lost 15lbs through pretty much that. When I can get to the gym, I will, but my kiddos come first and every once in a while I have the opportunity to do an Insanity work out at home - which is a good night :)

Good luck :)
  • strohst
    strohst Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Yes i do but he works nights ....
  • rosemarysimpson
    Options
    if u need it stacy just say samething i can get the kids for u